Can anyone identify this pistol?

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by Flatman6, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Flatman6

Flatman6 New Member

My mother in law got this gun from her father. He had brought it back from WWII. Any information you all can give me would be appreciated. On the slide it says
    FABRICATION FRANCAIS SYSTE BREVETE S.G.D.G.

ForumRunner_20130301_114108.jpg

2. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Pretty sure it's French. But that's all I've got.

3. DFlynt

DFlynt New Member

I got nothing but I am sure C3shooter or Canebrake will be along soon with all you'll need to know! :D

4. Renegade44

Renegade44 New Member

ATLAS Pocket pistol

5. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Pretty sure it's not an Atlas.

6. orangello

orangello New Member

It's a lot like one of the "baby Brownings" isn't it, probably a competitor.

7. GrtWhytHype

GrtWhytHype New Member

It's a French made variation of the "Ruby pistols" made during WW1. You'd need more info on serial numbers and markings to find specific manufacturer because during that time it's was mainly individual gunsmiths that would make them. Breveté S.G.D.G. (sans garantie du gouvernement) in English means Patent Without Guarantee of the Government. If you can give more info I can try to narrow it down more.

8. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

A rip off of a baby browning. The stylized "H" is intended to look like the "FN" on the genuine article. Such knock offs were common in France and (especially) Spain up to WWII.

9. Flatman6

Flatman6 New Member

There is a small symbol.stamped on yhe slide that is too worn to make out, but is framed by what looks like "MARQUE" on top and "DEPOSEE" or " JEPOSEE" on the bottom.

ForumRunner_20130301_163004.jpg

10. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Hourat et Vie. Little known gunmaker, operated in South of France in the 1930s. Yes, knockoff of the "Eiber" type pistol. Some of the machining may have been done in Eibar, Spain, and brought over into France for finish and assembly. Looks to be missing safety.

hv pistol.jpg

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  11. GrtWhytHype

GrtWhytHype New Member

And c3 saves me from stupidity once again! :-D

I need all the help I can get these days.

12. shouldazagged

shouldazagged New Member

Check A.B. Zhuk's Illustrated Encyclopedia Of Handguns: Pistols And Revolvers Of The World, 1870 To The Present. You'll find an amazing array of those knock-offs, and might even find that one.

I can't get to my copy right now, or I'd check it for you.

13. Flatman6

Flatman6 New Member

It is indeed missing the safety. Does qnyone know how to break this pistol down? Any chance I'll be able to find a replacement safety?

14. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

You COULD win the Powerball lottery this week.

Similar odds.

15. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

At first glance the logo on the grips look like "FN"

16. gosenbach

gosenbach New Member

I know that gun....

It was manufactured by Manufacture d'Armes de Pyrenees of Hendaye, France. and is a "brand labeled" Unique Model 10. They made these and gave them individual names depending on what outlet was going to be selling them. There are over 125 different versions of this same pistol and the only difference was the lablel and in some cases the emblem on the grip. Mine was a "Gallia" I did a lot of research into this pistol trying to figure out what is was. If you like I can forward it to you.

My Grandfather also brought it back from France (WWII). Unfortunately he lived in Canada and the US would not allow me to bring it across the border so I no longer have it.

17. gosenbach

gosenbach New Member