Can anyone identify this gun and it's caliber

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by Popgun, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Popgun

Popgun New Member

I picked this old gun up years ago and just kept it because it's the same type rifle that my grandfather carried when he was in the Italian army back in 1912/1913. I remember showing it to him years ago (he would be 122 years old now) and he said that it was the same one except that his was a shorter carbine model as he was in an artillery regiment. It has the word "Terni" stamped on one side with "WW" stamped on top.

Does anybody know what caliber this is and also I was wondering if ammo was still available as special order for a gun like this. Any bits of history would also be appreciated.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Popgun

Popgun New Member

thought I'd add a couple more photos

Attached Files:

3. Popgun

Popgun New Member

... and a couple more can't hurt

Attached Files:

4. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  5. Popgun

Popgun New Member

I was wondering if these guns used ammo clips like the M1 or magazines inserted from the bottom? I guess it could be used single shot, assuming it checks out as safe to fire. Would be nice to have all the missing pieces, though, including bayonet, shoulder strap, and whatever held the ammo in the magazine area. Would also be nice to be able to shoot it at least once in honor of my grandfather.

Attached Files:

6. Popgun

Popgun New Member

7. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Kind of like a M1 Garand, yes they use a Enbloc, in from the top, but out through the bottom............

8. towboater

towboater Active Member

Void ........

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  9. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Could not find video of loading & cycling of a Vetterli, so here is a carcano, works the same way.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwkloRMvUYA[/ame]