Can anyone I.D. this U.S. military gear?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by sputnik1988, Nov 5, 2013.

1. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

I got a bag of stuff from my dad that he's picked up through the years, he doesn't know what half of it is, it's safe to say that it is probably USMC issue since we have a few family members that served and brought back some stuff from Camp Lejeune. My IPad only let's me have one pic per post so their will be a few.

Thanks.

Obviously these are gloves, but what time period, anything special about them?

Attached Files:

2. sputnik1988

Mag pouch I assume, dividers inside for three objects. So when was this used and what are the loops on the side used for?

Attached Files:

3. sputnik1988

Canteen covers, wool inside, small pocket on the side

Attached Files:

4. sputnik1988

Small aluminum pins, flat head on one side, smooth on the other, head screws off.

Attached Files:

5. sputnik1988

Not a clue, some kind of belt I assume.

Attached Files:

6. sputnik1988

I have no idea what this is.

Attached Files:

7. stratrider

stratrider New Member

Those are cold weather mittens. I was issues those in Germany (U.S. Army) around 1985. They have green wool inserts as well. You'll notice the trigger finger and thumb are exposed. The trigger guard on the early M16 would swing down, allowing you to put a heavy gloved finger in there. Not sure about later ones.

8. stratrider

stratrider New Member

The loops on the sides are for hand grenades. Also, those pouches hold 3, thirty round magazines (M16)

9. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

Number 3 is a Canteen cover, cold weather, designed to hook up to the older style pistol belts. the little pouch on the front is to how water purification tablets. Number one already identified as cold weather gloves. i still have my dad's that were issued to him in 1988. E-mailed the pics of the other items to him, will see if I can get answers as to what some of the other items are. I too want to know what the side loops on the magazine pouch are for.

10. stratrider

stratrider New Member

The side loops in action...

Attached Files:

11. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

Cool. that never even crossed my mind.

12. artbrownsr

artbrownsr Forum Chaplain Lifetime Supporter

U.S. G.I. M-65 Cold Weather Gloves

-Official US Extreme Cold Weather (ECW) Trigger Finger Mittens -Leather front, canvas sleeve -Good for any cold-weather activity -US GI Surplus used, good condition
    Surplus prices $10-$25
    I believe these are around mid seventies due to the nylon verses the canvas of earlier makes.

13. artbrownsr

artbrownsr Forum Chaplain Lifetime Supporter

Part of a shoulder strap assembly for an "ALICE" or some such pack. all these appear to be early to mid 70's

14. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Those metal rivets are what we used to keep papers together after they were punched.

With a plastic cover, they would be unscrewed and placed in the holes and assembled together.

15. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

Ok Sput, now your just trying to make us feel old! Identify them, for sure, I wore all of them for many years and remember when they were just a normal part of our TA 50! As others have ID'd, much of it is for you LBE, (Load Bearing Equipment), your missing about half a full set.

Heres what its supposed to look like-

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...a=X&ei=-tJ4UuHVGIWosATW5oC4DA&ved=0CEEQ9QEwAg

I was such an idiot for not squirreling away a crapload of it for sales later in life but I couldnt turn it in fast enough at the times I gave it all back!

Great find, pass it on to your kids and grand-kids!

16. trip286

trip286 New Member

Wool lined canteen covers. Can be soaked and will cool your canteen through evaporative action. Small pouch is to hold water purification tablets and salt tablets.

17. trip286

trip286 New Member

Seatbelt. No, not THAT kind. Goes on Alice pack, buckles around the waist like a seatbelt. I think the official term is waist support belt. I'm at work right now, but when I get home I'll show you a pic of how it works on my mountain ruck.

By the way, it's completely worthless on its own, unless you use it as a general purpose tie down strap. But I know someone who may take it off your hands. A boy named Sue needs a frame and seatbelt for his Alice.

18. trip286

trip286 New Member

Quick detach buckle for Alice and mountain rucks. It attaches the bottom end of the shoulder straps to the frame. Should you be ambushed while under load, a quick snatch of the tabs will drop your load so you can fight back, without wasting those precious moments shrugging out of the straps.

Again, I can demonstrate later this evening.

19. trip286

trip286 New Member

Important to note, after the US military moved away from the lemon grenades and went to the baseball grenades, they changed pouches. Now the mag pouches only hold mags, and the baseball grenades get their own pouch. Ain't they so special?

Also of note, these old style pouches were still being used in training schools as late as 2005. Because... They were already on hand.

20. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

Wrong! Thats where you hide the little block of Hashish! Either there or where your spare bulb in the flashlight is supposed to be! Novice! Oh, OOps did I say that out loud? Must be a flashback from the 70's.:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: