can anyone help me figure out what gun this is?

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by michaelruiz, Jun 14, 2012.

1. michaelruiz

michaelruiz New Member

Hi ive had this very old and rusty revolver in my house for as long as i can remember and im just curious to find out what kind of gun it is, so if anyone knows can you please tell me thank you ! IMG_4315.jpg

IMG_4316.jpg

IMG_4317.jpg

IMG_4318.jpg

2. 30-30remchester

30-30remchester New Member

Appears to be a Colt Police Positive to me.

3. JohnJak

JohnJak New Member

It's got great patina to it.

4. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

it would appear to have seen better days... i was leaning towards colt as well

5. michaelruiz

michaelruiz New Member

Yea looks like a police positive to me too. Do you know what year and type it could be?

6. deadeye199824

deadeye199824 New Member

Looks like its had its day and if was a police revolver it's been retired for a decade or two

7. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

Have a gunsmith check it out, if its safe, bead blast her and duracoat/ceracoat. Won't be worth anything, but it could be a shooter.

8. W. C. Quantrill

W. C. Quantrill New Member

I wouldnt think it would be safe to shoot. However it may have a valuable history, depending on where you are and if any family members know of where it came from or why it is there. I would be asking everyone around if they know the story of it. People dont just throw something like that down for no reason.

My advice would be to not attempt any repairs or modifications to the gun until you find out its history, then mount it in a frame and hang it on the wall.

9. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

I agree on the Colt---
    Please don't try to shoot it----ever :(

10. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Leave it along and make it a wall piece , Its too rusty to be shooting safely and even bead blasting it with the condition its in will remove too much metal . Better left alone!!!

11. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Save it for next year's buyback in Chicago...they'll give you $100 for it.