Featured Can a 350 Legend bullet be used in a 9mm case?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Shopfox, May 23, 2020 at 11:18 PM.

1. Shopfox

Shopfox Well-Known Member Supporter

It looks like 2" groups at 100 yards (based on the average of (5) 5-shot groups) is about the best that can realistically be had in 9mm carbines. This makes me ask: "is the limiting factor the bullet itself?"

Can a 350 Legend bullet safely be used in a 9mm case for a 9mm carbine? I know the diameter is the same, but don't know if the bullet geometry (pointy) causes any problems in a 9mm chamber.

Last edited: May 24, 2020 at 7:41 AM
  2. OldManMontgomery

OldManMontgomery Active Member

According to the schematics and information I found on line, the bullet diameter is .357" which is usable. The bullet - so far - has a weight of 145 grains. Since 147 grains weight 9x19mm ammunition is well established, the pressures are acceptable.

The bullet shape (pointy) touches nothing in the chamber, it just 'hangs' in the barrel ahead of the chamber. I can see where the bullet might have to be seated a bit deeper so the bore riding section of the bullet does not impinge on the leade.

The biggest problem I can see is the 'pointy' front of the bullet might not allow the loaded round to fit in the magazine.

Just between you and me, my opinion is 'why bother'? The 147 grain bullets are available and already made to fit.

Pasquanel and JTJ like this.

3. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Besides the bullet construction may be tougher because of the higher velocities. For the carbines I like XTP since they are controlled expansion. The gain in the longer barrel is about 150 fps which puts it in the lower end of the 357 Sig. I would like to have a carbine in 357 Sig. Glock mags of course.

4. Shopfox

Only reason for trying it is to see if I can wring a bit more accuracy out of the 9mm carbine - paper shooting only.

5. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

like OldMan said: You will need to seat the bullet further out, to get the proper relationship to the lead and lands. Which will mean it will get longer, and may not fit into the magazine. And if you don’t get the relationship right, the accuracy suffers. So, you may be chasing your tail.

Shopfox and Oldoutlaw like this.
  6. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Unless the loads you are using are subsonic, the sonic crack can push a bullet in flight when it slows to subsonic, which will throw off the spin and accuracy in the process.

A little off topic, how about 350 legend bullets loaded in .357 magnum, especially for rifles and longer range shooting?

7. Oldoutlaw

Oldoutlaw Well-Known Member Supporter

Wouldn't the .355 Legend bullets be a bit under size? I don't know.

8. Shopfox

I'm guessing the same: the .355 bullets would be a bit undersized, and therefore not the best accuracy. No personal experience though on this one.