Can a 13 year old own a gun?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Matthew2D, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Matthew2D

Matthew2D New Member

Not sure if this is the right forum to post this in, so feel free to move it. Is it okay for a 13 year old to own a MP7 (sub-machine gun)? I play MW3 a lot and I use a MP7 and I love it! So is it okay if my dad buys it (He probably won't lol) and he gives it to me?

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Sorry, Matthew- you are going to have to wait several years- you have to be 21 to own a machinegun in the US- and the cost is probably more than your first car will be. Right now, typical cost for a LEGAL, TRANSFERABLE machine gun is around $15,000.

But you have 8 years to save your money......

3. longunner

longunner New Member

This is why I hate Call of Duty........

4. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

My son is a very good shooter at only 13. But he is a big XBOX player. It can be educational though. When we go to a gun show he can identify just about everything I can.

Technicaly all of our children's guns belong to us parents. But Daniel will take all of his with him when he grows up and moves away. I will probably add to his collection between now and then.

5. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

However if I were to spend the bucks on a full auto with the proper tax stamp...I would be keeping it.

6. irockglock

irockglock New Member

I wonder if there is a "civilian" version of the HK MP7

7. elfmdl

elfmdl New Member

A Civilian can not own a H&K mp7. They were first produced in 2001 and to be able to get a machine gun it has to be made before 1986.

8. 7.62 Man

7.62 Man New Member

Yes I thought that those battle games were just about useless too until my daughter started playing the Call of Duty game. When she did her grades in world history came up because she started to have an interest in the battles from around the world & what guns were used. So I guess they can be educational.
    Like Rick1967 said my daughter could ID the guns just as good as me.
    The only thing I didn't like was she got her issued her Full Auto weapon before I could get mine! Yes you guessed it she joined the Army. She has done one tour in Iraq & reenlisted. She decided to make a career out of it & loves what she does. I am very proud of my solder daughter.;)
    See what you get when you buy those battle games for your children.:eek:

9. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Since were on the topic...can anyone tell me where to get that Pulse Rifle from The movie Aliens, you know, the one that fired the caseless ammo so I can stop slipping on my spent brass while navigating air ducts and avoiding a cacoon at the hands of those slime dripping aliens? :p

Tack

10. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

If i find two i'll let you know :p

11. woody63m

woody63m New Member

No but i have three of the do everything guns from the movie the fith element for sale or trade a predator shoulder cannon

12. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

7.62 Man -- our thanks and my wishes for her safety.

Ihad no idea what the kid was talking about -- MW3? Three-weapons-shoot is all I could think of... The question is, can a minor own anything, and I vote no!

13. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i think what Irockglock was asking if i am correct, is, do they make a semi auto version of the MP7. might check H & K's website and see whats available.

14. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

ELF- thank you- and you ARE correct- I failed to check the first date of production for that- and since it could not have been registered by the May 1986 deadline, cannot be transferred to a private citizen.

15. TimL2952

TimL2952 New Member

a 13 year old CAN own a gun...but not an MP-7.

I get that you are new to this but if you are interested in firearms, I suggest you buy a book or read a bunch online about the different types and what is available to you where you live.

YOU must be 18 to purchase a long gun, 21 for a handgun/class III weapon. However, you only need to be 12 to own a firearm. If your dad feels you are responsible enough, he can buy a firearm and give it to you as a gift.

16. Matthew2D

Matthew2D New Member

17. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

Its questions and ignorance like this that make me dislike most teenagers

18. Matthew2D

Matthew2D New Member

Are you talking about me? :(

19. kycol

kycol New Member

Civilians can't own them due to the uranium isotope core