Firearms Talk banner
41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Well a ban on .50 I wouldn't really dislike...I mean for civilian use it's basically useless and to damn dangerous as a gun.
Condoning the banning of any gun could leave you with nothing more than a stick or a rock. "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to bear arms shall not be infringed." Our fore fathers recognized that a stick was no match against the then government's flintlocks, hence the words "shall not be infringed" which to me means that the people should have sufficient weapons to protect themselves from a runaway government.

When I got my 50 BMG I was warned by the maker that the gun would shoot 6 miles. While I have the ability and location to check that out I haven't done it yet. To get maximum range from any gun it has to pointed at about a 45 degree angle from level ground. In my opinion there is no way any bullet would even travel half its maximum distance after a ricochet simply because so much energy would be absorbed when striking something causing the bullet to change direction. Additionally the bullet would most likely be damaged becoming ballistically unstable. Also 6,500 meters is 4.03 miles. Bottom line I believe the Texas story is possible but it had to be a direct shot and not a ricochet.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Our gun club had a problem when some shooters with .50s started shooting there. The club is one of the few in the area with a 300 yd range. The problem arose when the shooters started placing targets on the berm (gentle slope) in front of the old target pits (overgrown). There was a substantial backstop- high enough, wide enough and thick enough. There would have been no problem had the shooters been knowledgeable enough to recognize that the targets should have ben placed at the top of the berm and off the ground (yhe backstop could have done its job).
The club is unsupervised and open to members 24/7. The club ended up bulldozing the berm and old pits and placing the materials from the berm atop the existing backstop.
A DANGEROUS SITUATION CAUSED BY A LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF HOW THINGS WERE SUPPOSED TO WORK.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Condoning the banning of any gun could leave you with nothing more than a stick or a rock. "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to bear arms shall not be infringed." Our fore fathers recognized that a stick was no match against the then government's flintlocks, hence the words "shall not be infringed" which to me means that the people should have sufficient weapons to protect themselves from a runaway government.

When I got my 50 BMG I was warned by the maker that the gun would shoot 6 miles. While I have the ability and location to check that out I haven't done it yet. To get maximum range from any gun it has to pointed at about a 45 degree angle from level ground. In my opinion there is no way any bullet would even travel half its maximum distance after a ricochet simply because so much energy would be absorbed when striking something causing the bullet to change direction. Additionally the bullet would most likely be damaged becoming ballistically unstable. Also 6,500 meters is 4.03 miles. Bottom line I believe the Texas story is possible but it had to be a direct shot and not a ricochet.
We've already explained this and I retracted my statement...but preference for me is that the .50 Cal Sniper Rifles are useless...at least for me....far to much recoil....rounds are to expensive...and bulky.....granted in SHTF if it called for it I'd use one...but I'd probably favor a Mosin Sniper over that any day.

·
Registered
56 Posts
We've already explained this and I retracted my statement...but preference for me is that the .50 Cal Sniper Rifles are useless...at least for me....far to much recoil....rounds are to expensive...and bulky.....granted in SHTF if it called for it I'd use one...but I'd probably favor a Mosin Sniper over that any day.
I apologize as I did not read your retraction before I posted. As for 50 caliber rifles being useless ... well right or wrong everyone is intitled to their opinion.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just how dangerous is "too damn dangerous"? A 12 ga slug at 10 ft is pretty damn dangerous. Beware the slippery slope. If we can be convinced that a .50 BMG is too damn dangerous then we will end up with red ryder BB-guns. Oh, but those "could put an eye out!".
Yea and the 12g has those .50 shells to shoot also. I just bought some dragonbreath shells from a website and they shoot a fireball 125 yards. People just can't seem to let other people enjoy **** they're just because they are scared of something that doesn't have **** to do with them and want to ban **** for everyone else.

·
Premium Member
Glock G42
5,144 Posts
Yea and the 12g has those .50 shells to shoot also. I just bought some dragonbreath shells from a website and they shoot a fireball 125 yards. People just can't seem to let other people enjoy ** they're just because they are scared of something that doesn't have ** to do with them and want to ban **** for everyone else.
You are talking to someone who posted 13 years ago.

·
Supporting Member
13,152 Posts
I know this is a very old Thread but saw Jack T had responded.
So it gave me an opportunity to share some information with the guys that have 50 BMG Rifle. The 50 BMG can reach out there. My longest shot on an a Military E Silhouette Target was the ability to hit the Target at 2200 Meters. While being present at a Navy Seal Team Sniper School. Very impressive I must admit. It was a McMillan Bolt Action 50 BMG Rifle! They also had Barrett's at the School they used.
But as I understand the alleged story about the women the 50 BMG round. It was said to be a ricochet that continued to travel 5 miles and hit the lady! I will simply say this 5 Miles? "NOT"!;)
The *"Maximum Ballistic Range" Not the effective Range of the .50 BMG cartridge is around 7,000 Meters!
5 Miles = 8,046.72 Meters.
So, after the ricochet which would have greatly reduced its force and velocity IMO No Way!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Thats one expensive hobby.
Ever given a thought to ocean yachting?

'Fun-flying' a helicopter or two?

Collecting Bugatti's?

Or, like a gentleman of my acquaintance here in England, collecting ONLY 'Presidential Grade' Rolex watches?

Now THEY are expensive.

Anyhow, as 'we all know over here', you guys over there are mostly millionaires - we've seen the movies, y'know. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,300 Posts
Well, you all forget that an AR-15 weighs 50# and shoots a 50 caliber bullet.....Sheila Jackson Lee.

Being a millionaire isn't so uncommon today. A million bucks isn't what it used to be....thanks Joe.

·
Premium Member
3,107 Posts
I am a thousandaire. However if you count my collection of high end classic lawn maintenance equipment along with my endless charm you may add a couple hundred to that figure.

·
Premium Member
2,300 Posts
I bought a 50 cal, that can only go 3 miles but it's tiny. NA Arms came out with one..... One round costs more than the gun and the gun is smaller than the round. Going to let my bad neighbor shoot it first.......

·
Premium Member
3,107 Posts
All my50’s are slow moving giant slugs. My 45/70 500gr rounds if I fire it high enough I might be able to hop in the truck and chase it down before it lands.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts