camping advice/tips

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by unclebear, Mar 26, 2013.

1. unclebear

unclebear New Member

I started this to see what other peoples good tips and advice for camping is.

Some of the best things I've learned while camping have been put your cloths you want warm in the bottom of your sleeping bag for the next day. Ground cover is importent the ground will suck the heat out of the body even if your in a sleeping bag rated for -10. Also pack lite just because you think your only going a miles doesn't mean that's hows it going to turn out.

2. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

Hell, I'm not tipping you for that!!

Maybe if you served some drinks or something!

3. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

The first of the tent commandments: BRING TOILET PAPER

4. dango

dango Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Back-packable-bar.............? I like it..! :D

5. dango

Well . if you stick a 1/2" or 3/4" (closed cell foam) under that -10 bag , eat a vitamin-C , a chocolate bar , your good to go to -15 at least

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  6. dango

Sleeping bags: Back some 40 years ago , goose-down used to be the insulator of choice . On long treks , two to three weeks , I found that the goose-down would co-laps and lose loft..! I've switched to synthetics and never looked back . The length , I've got an extra long , to accommodate 8' person so I have two feet of usable space . Water in high altitudes is tuff to find and melting snow is the only way . All things I want not to freeze go in the bag and stay there till I need them . Water especially , takes fuel to melt snow and you've only got so much with you .

Sleeping pads , 3/4" is winter weight and a must to save body heat . Many companies make them and they are light weight and easy to pack on outside of packs . (Closed Cell though) , you don't want to sleep on a sponge..! :)

7. orangello

orangello New Member

Gello's #1 Camping tip - When properly cleaned out, the carcass of a bear makes a fine tent. (Yes, Han Solo, they DO smell better on the inside. :p )

Bears, they're coming for dinner; you want to sit at the table or be the main course?

[wonders about a bear-skin canoe...]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  8. dango

^LMAO..! :D Bears , if you "KNOW" there are BEARS around , do not set camp on high traffic ares , 50 meters from water source , 50 meters from where you eat and never store any food where you sleep...! Never ANY..!

Grizzlies and browns got no sense of humor , either you ARE FOOD or they don't care about you..! You can not , out run one , out swim or out climb..! Eeek..!

9. jyo

jyo New Member

In my youth, I did lots of camping, sleeping on the rocky ground, etc. My wife showed me how to really have fun in the wilderness---drive way out to where you want to be---find a nice lodge and check in---find a nice restaurant and have dinner (maybe a drink or two) and a lot of laughs----crawl back to lodge and have more laughs---works well---I can recommend it...

10. GonzoLonzo

GonzoLonzo New Member

Grizzlies and browns got no sense of humor , either you ARE FOOD or they don't care about you..! You can not , out run one , out swim or out climb..! Eeek..![/QUOTE]

That just reminded me of one other thing.

Attached Files:

11. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

I have exchanged my tent for a motor home and have never been a happier camper!

12. sc00ts

sc00ts New Member

A ziplock bag full of dryer lint makes great tinder. Look up the supercat alcohol stove. Cheap and very effective homemade alternative to expensive gas stoves.

13. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

Make sure you spray your tent with plenty of waterproofing chemical, because in a good, hard rain, you don't want to be trying to sleep in a puddle of cold water.

14. onenut58

onenut58 New Member

It all depends on where and when your camping.If your back packing and carrying everything you have or some place you can drive up to like city people do.
    I always look for a place with a big boulder or rack face to camp. If its cold like in the fall etc. I first build my fire and gather three or four rocks about half the size of a bowling ball to throw in the fire inside my rock fire ring.
    Then I then did a shallow trench about a foot and a half deep and the length from my feet to my shoulders long. Then I cut a few branches off fur trees and get enough to make a pile about four inches deep and slightly longer than I stand tall.
    Just before I lay out my bag I roll the heated rocks out of the fire and into the trench and cover them back up with dirt. I then lay out the fur tree branches over the buried rocks and lay down my bag and pull a small tarp over the bag and myself to keep the doo off.
    I always camp beside a creek or lake.I am usualy following a river or at a high mountain lake when I camp.
    The fur bows act like springs and the short needles work like stuffing and the buried hot rocks let off heat all night.
    If its winter and the ground is frozen and usualy snow on the ground I buildf a lean to and cover the snow floor with the fur branches and cover the entire lean to with a piece of visqueen plastic and leave the front open to the fire.It all depends if your staying one night or for a few days. If I stay more than one night I always build a lean to winter or summer.I don't pack pup tents sleeping bag pads just a small cheap tarp and a folded up piece of visqeen and parachute cord and a small roll of tie wire.

15. TLuker

TLuker New Member

Carry a stainless steel bowl. It's one of those comfy items. You can boil water in it, carry water in it, gather berries and such in it, fix a stew, and it gives you a place to put fish and game after you clean them. :)

16. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Yeah, lets get real for a minute.

Regardless of what type of camping you do, you need a dry

cooking area. A heavy rope to use as a guy line under a tarp,

with the tarp tied down at the corners, to keep the table or cooking area

dry is an absolute must.

If you have a dry place to sit and eat, you can do without a lot of

other stuff.

Matches-get a box of regular paper matches, and spread them around like

fertilizer, pockets, pack, car, tinder, tent- even in the worst

rain some will stay dry. Keep a mag-block, butane lighter, and

candles, white birch bark, and an extra bundle of first aid alcohol

prep packs for fire starters. An axe is a waste of time and weight.

But you can split wood to the dry center with a maul.

17. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Bulgar wheat is a miracle food. Add a little bullion and freeze dried vegetables and it is a good hearty pilaf.

Add it to two parts boiling water and it is breakfast.

18. TLuker

TLuker New Member

Look up "pine lighter" and use that to start fires. It's available anywhere there are pine trees. Works great for the fireplace as well. :)

19. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Tampons.......

Attached Files:

20. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Paracord and a tomahawk. Good to go.