camo my 22

Discussion in 'Engraving & Refinishing' started by jon1992d, Aug 10, 2011.

1. jon1992d

jon1992d New Member

I have a 22 long rifle bolt. Its all wood stock. I want to camo it myself and have a low budget. Any ideas how to paint it myself that won't cost a lot and easy enough for someone that's never painted a gun stock

2. jon1992d

jon1992d New Member

Whatever the link is it won't let me open it. It just keeps re-directing me to here. :/

3. gaeilgeoir

gaeilgeoir New Member

Maybe if you bought like spray paints? In colours to suit your surroundings, and used masking tape on places you dont want painted and use stencils for the different colours? I even saw in a movie the use of leaves as a stencil. (just a suggestion)

4. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

What kind of rifle is it? How does the wood look?

5. jon1992d

jon1992d New Member

Its a 22 long rifle bolt. I acualy just took a wack at it with Rust-Oleum special outdoor camouflage spray paint i got at home depot. I used twigs and leaves to match the environmen. For $11 i think it looks pretty good. the only mistake i made was i didnt sandpaper the wood before i sprayed. I used 4 Different colors black as base, then kachki, then earth brown and finaly deep forest green. each time i added more twigs and leaves. it took about 2 and a half hours to completely finish. Now im letting it dry for 24 hours. It looks pretty good and the color is perfect for western pa woods. The only problem is I have to see if there is a clear glaze or something to put over again to protect the paint. Any sugestions? and thanks every one for the ideas so far =)

6. gaeilgeoir

gaeilgeoir New Member

I have no idea what to varnish it with, im not sure maybe a heavy duty yacht varnish r something like that? Like just to be sure, and im glad it worked out well, hey not everything in the movies is complete bull!

7. Hawg

Hawg New Member

Spar varnish has a yellow tint.

8. rodent.22

rodent.22 New Member

I did it

I used Krylon Camoflage spray paint on my Mini 14 beech stock. I made the pattern with blue painter's tape torn into strips. Shoot the base color, apply the strips in the pattern you want, and then shoot the 2nd color. Dries to a matt finish, cures fully in a week, quite durable. I'm happy with it...:D

Attached Files:

• 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      97.5 KB
      Views:
    • 006.jpg
      006.jpg
      File size:
      97.7 KB
      Views:
  9. SneakyPotato

SneakyPotato New Member

Great job. I'm really surprised with the results after knowing you just used tape :D

10. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

there is a chance if you didn't sand and clean very well before painting, tthe paint mike flake off when rubbed against something. i paint my black synthetic stocks in camo finish paint by Krylon, but i scuff them up lightly, clean them with a degreaser, spray an adhesion promoter, then i paint them. the finish is very durable and seems to hold up very well.

11. 32tudor

32tudor New Member

Wow that really turned out good nice job looks great :D

12. hmh

hmh New Member

Used ultra flat camo paint recommend do not use black it will stick out. Stripped whole gun with mineral spirits. Apply base used tan. Then took the cheap foam brushes and cut the ends v out in different spacing. Used that to apply brown and green. Practice first with the foam brushes it takes a light touch. Do not clear coat with anything ie flat matt ext. Look at the difference between the mag and the rest of the rifle. I used a matt clear coat and that is the only thing I regret.

Attached Files:

13. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

hmh, that i like a lot! that is a very different approach to camo. i might have to try your method out on one of mine. you done good!