California Options for a Saiga SGL26 -61

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by SecrtSqurl, Apr 5, 2014.

1. SecrtSqurl

SecrtSqurl New Member

I just purchased this firearm and am looking for some recommendations on aftermarket parts that are California legal. Specifically I would like to change the stock but am not aware of the California limitations. I think that the rifle has to be 26" with the stock at its most collapsible position. If this is so, are there any suggestions on things that can make this firearm any better. So far, it has been better than expected.

Any help is appreciated.

2. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

The best addition I think would be a side mounted monorail base plate for optics. (If not already there)

For roughly $100 the rifle can be modified to take regulation mags, but I doubt the cap limit will allow them. Most Saigas could use a trigger job, if you want maximum precision from the bench.

3. snyder77

snyder77 New Member

I believe the CA Law is 30" minimum OAL, so with a side folding stock almost all AK's need a 4" barrell extension.

BTW does your Arsenal/FIME group have a bayonet lug?

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  4. SecrtSqurl

SecrtSqurl New Member

Yes it does have the bayonet lug. It also has the side mount for optics.

5. snyder77

snyder77 New Member

off,don't have a fore grip attached to your rifle, and you put on a pistol grip kydex wrap, then you wouldn't need the bullet button/rad-lock. your rifle would be considered a featureless rifle. so you wouldn't need a bullet button/rad-lock and you can use any size magazine in your rifle. 30 rounders/75 round drums would be legal to use in your rifle.

kydex pistol grip wraps
    http://shop.solartactical.com/AK-SAIGA-SERIES_c34.htm

EDIT:use that flowchart and you can determine what you can do to your rifle while keeping it legal or featureless. If you have any questions about this feel free to PM me
    http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014