Caliber Wars? Seriously?

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by USMC-03, Aug 26, 2012.

1. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

Why does everyone engage in arguments about which caliber is best? I carry a G19 as my off-duty weapon, and carried a G17 on duty for a long time before our department started issuing us the G22. The other day a guy inform me that carrying my 9mm was pointless because the .45 he carries will take someone down in one hit. I then asked, "How many people have you shot with your .45?", He replied "Well...none", My response: "Well I've only used my 9mm in real-world once, and you can feel free to ask him if he thought the 9mm was weak, but you'll have to dig him up and do some serious life saving steps before he will be able to talk.", He had nothing else to say and left.

I know the "caliber war" has been done to death, and I typically don't get into it...but seriously people. Just train, train, train, and train some more.

Sorry...late night and I'm bored since I'm off and usually work overnights...so I though I'd post...I'm sure it will ruffle some feathers. Let's try and not argue :)

2. rhyno13

rhyno13 New Member

Everyone has opinions. With opinions, you will have arguments and disagreements.

3. FearTheFree7

FearTheFree7 New Member

It's all about shot placement. But I still prefer the knockdown power and bigger diameter of the .45. After shooting a steel dueling tree and having the .45 knock the plates around no problem and the 9mm rarely knock a plate all the way around my mind was set. I still would not feel outgunned if I had a 9mm though just prefer the .45.

4. Vincine

Vincine New Member

You’re right, arguing about which caliber is better is silly. Arguing about whether to have caliber arguments is much better. ;)

5. manta

manta Well-Known Member Supporter

That is handy to know the next time a steel plate is shooting at me. :)There's not enough energy in the popular hand gun ammo calibers to make any difference when it comes to stopping somebody. As long as it penetrates deep enough it can be effective.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2012
  6. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

Haha, I thought so ;)...Like I said, I was bored and just posting thoughts as a way to waste time on a boring night off.

7. FearTheFree7

FearTheFree7 New Member

If it doesn't then why are the Marines switching back to the .45? ;-) I reference the stopping power because if a gun fight no one knows how they will perform in that type of stress so I guarantee if you were shooting at someone and hit them in the thigh a .45 will have a greater chance of making them fall to the ground compared to a 9mm. I'm not saying they won't fall but the .45 packs more punch.

8. Seven

Seven New Member

Caliber arguments are fun!
    Although I'd argue capacity over caliber.

9. phildenton

phildenton New Member

38 357 9 40 45, they are all similar,i carry what i have, it happens to be 357 mag. I noticed that shooting my 357 and shooting a 1911 45 side by side felt very much the same to me, and not very noticably different then a 9. i was surprised, (both guns were of service size/weight), and i shot em both accurately. So i would feel safe with either. Its pointless to argue over capacity or caliber in general, 5 or 6 rounds usually are more than enough, even with 32acp, shot placement is key. And if you dont think a 9 is enouph power, 12 ga 00 buck is even better then 45.

10. MrWray

MrWray New Member

I dont put much effort into the caliber arguement, i carry what i like to carry and everyone else can carry what they like to carry. Same thing for capacity,if you want to carry a handgun with a 300rd magazine more power to you. I never feel undergunned with my 8rd magazines

11. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

Carry the biggest baddest boomer you can carry EVERY DAY. No matter
    what the weather is, no matter how you are dressed, no matter what you
    are doing. First rule of a gun fight----have a gun.

Doesn't matter if it's a NAA .22 or a Desert Eagle, pick ONE and practice
    practice practice.

My ONE has evolved to be a Ruger LCP with a Crimson Trace laser, loaded
    with Federal Hydra-Shok. Alabama holster works Kydex pocket holster,
    right front pants pocket. It's there right now, as I sit here having a
    morning cup of coffee.

I'm not saying that's the ONLY gun I might carry. In the winter a G17
    or 1911 might be under my coat. But the little .380 is there every day,
    all year long.

12. MrWray

MrWray New Member

This is what i carry "everyday", all year round

20120810_094713-1.jpg

13. manta

I don't know why the Marines are moving to .45 maybe they have fallen for the .45 myth. All i do know is they are the only force army or police world wide that are moving to .45 maybe they know something the rest of us don't.
    Why do you think someone hit in the thigh with a .45 is more likely to go down than someone hit with a 9mm. ?

14. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

I recently saw an episode of a tv show, which featured former Army SF, and SF instructors. The subject of the show was their personal preferences where every day carry was concerned. Without exception, they carried 9mm.

I would think if "stopping power" was an issue with 9mm, these professional gunfighters would stay as FAR AWAY from the caliber as possible.

Just my .02

15. Vincine

Vincine New Member

I think probably those guys could hit what they aim at. Maybe not so much the rank & file, I'm guessing.

16. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

True, but that's hardly the "fault" of the caliber.

17. rhyno13

rhyno13 New Member

If you need more than 2 shots, you need more practice. Spend more time at the range.

18. manta

You are joking i hope. If you can guarantee to hit never mind stop someone with two shots. When rounds are coming back at you i think you are kidding your self.

19. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

The military uses hardball so there is no expansion. The bigger heavier 45 will outperform the 9mm under those circumstances. JHP ammo changes the rules. Most 9mm loads are 115g and 124g however the FBI went to 147g while testing for a new cartridge. They went to the 10 mm and had to scale back to the 40 S&W after the majority of their agents were not capable of handling the full power 10mm. The newest loads have taken the 9mm up another notch.
    Carry what you can control the best. Remember a lot of carry guns are light weight and a light 45 is not that easy to control.

20. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

The perfect gun in the perfect caliber for cc :D

image-1229856054.jpg