Caliber Rifle for 13 Yr old Girl.

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by KalashnikovBlood, Jun 19, 2012.

1. KalashnikovBlood

KalashnikovBlood New Member

Hey guys, my daughter will turn 13 in less than a week and she loves shooting I just can't think of a rifle to get her. Any ideas? I was thinking of a semi auto 223 Ruger Mini 14. She loves the rifle but she hates to Field strip it, I'm willing to spend $800 dollars on a conclusive firearm i would like to see what you guys recommend. Thank you all, take care sincerely
    -Vladimir Kalashnikov

2. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

does she have any rifles currently? i was thinking something a little less to start with. i got my marlin bolt action .22lr when i was 12. i remember it, and still use it. just shot it last weekend. they are great for learning how to shoot, and proper safety. also ammo is cheap. if your set on the .223 caliber. why not an enry level AR that you can get for around $600/$700.i think it would be better accuracy, and disassembly wise than a standard mini14. or even a bolt action .223. i tend towards cheaper, slower shooting firearms for young people. but thats just me.

3. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I'd say go with the Marlin 60.

WallyWorld has a really nice

stainless steel one right now for

230$.

Semi-auto, 22LR, lightweight, tube-fed for dependability.

My old 60 works so well, I call it "the typewriter", because

with ear protection it sounds a lot like an old electric typewriter.

4. unclebear

unclebear New Member

And here I thought I was the only one that remembered using a type writer :D

If she doesn't like complicated take downs why not get her a bolt action in 223 or some similar round. If she just really likes semi auto rifles a 22 would be a good way or even maybe an SKS if she just really likes the boom of the gun, also they're not all that complicated to take apart and clean.

5. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

I would say to start her out with something like a Ruger 10-22 and then graduate up to the AR when she gets all of her safe weapons and shooting fundamental skills down. The AR would be a great second rifle for her which also allows for stock adjustment to fit her.:D

6. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

I'd say get her a good cheap 22 rifle like a Marlin XT or model 60.....if she exists that is.

7. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

+1

Couldn't have said it better.

8. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

I also recommend a .22Lr, if you are dead set on a bigger caliber then I'm sure the AK74 would be ok. I've been told that they recoil less than a 223. If you did go that route, consider the Arsenal brand, most of the rifle including the reciever is made in Russia.

There are also AKM style 22 rifles available.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  9. KalashnikovBlood

I got her a .22 two years ago.

10. KalashnikovBlood

An AK74 has a pellet rifles recoil. IMHO

11. kytowboater

Being the grandchild of a legacy in the firearm world, why not follow tradition and give her an ak47 or ak74? I'm sure you have no issue getting one...... How was court today btw?

12. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Ya im wondering about the court hearing too

13. KalashnikovBlood

It went well. I'm free to go.

14. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

Imagine that.

15. kytowboater

Good deal. I imagine Russian prison is unimaginably In tolerable

16. KalashnikovBlood

It's not bad.

17. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

How did you go to court in Russia when you are here in the States caring for your ailing mother? :confused: