Caliber opinions and rants

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Greebo, Sep 24, 2010.

1. Greebo

Greebo New Member

Ok guys, the floor is open to you, what do you think?

I own 2 9mm pistols (Sig Sauer P226 and Glock 19) and I ccw at all times, locked and loaded with 15 x 127 JHP, and I don't feel under protected at all. I get a lot of gruff from some of the other shooters at the range I go to, talking about how it's not worth spit if it's not a 45 (why a 45? cause they don't make a 46!), I will agree in LE and military aspects where NATO Ball ammo is required to be loaded, that a larger caliber is not just needed but vital to your survival.

However, that being said I am not in LE or military and have chosen to live quite a distance from the nearest cracked out kid with an AK (which believe it or not has been the most common reason I've heard for carrying a 45, like they're on every street corner in NE....anyway different discussion), personally, while I am not against larger calibers at all and may still get one in the future, I have to say I really like the 9, I believe you only excel at something you can afford to practice and I can afford to practice a lot with my 9's and have gotten quite good at both ranged, relaxed precision firing and up close, defensive, and fast firing. I feel quite confident that I could stop an aggressor from harming myself or my family if the need should ever arise (touch wood n all that).

So that's me and a little of my opinion on calibers, LOL for what it's worth....so lets have it....where do you stand?

2. NGIB

NGIB New Member

If you are comfortable with the 9mm - that's really all that matters. I use .380, .38, 9mm, .357, .40, & .45 and I'm OK with any of them in a defensive role. To me it isn't as much about the caliber as the platform - I like 1911s so I shoot a lot of .45...

3. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Shoot what you're the best with. 9mm hits count for more than .45 misses. ;)

Personally, I like .9mm, .45ACP and .357 Magnum and am proficient with all three. The key word there is proficient.

4. orangello

orangello New Member

When i look at my 9mm rounds and then at my .45ACP rounds, i must admit that the .45's are MUCH more comforting. Truth be told, either would be plenty to stop any agression from me.

5. Katsai

Katsai New Member

I shoot both 9mm and .45 ACP regularly. What I carry depends on my mood. Either way, my 92FS and my 1911 are loaded with Hydra Shok, so if I do need to shoot, I'm confident that I can stop the aggressor quickly. If you're comfortable and proficient with the 9mm, keep shooting/carrying it. Nothing wrong with trying out the .45 though. They're so much fun!

6. billdeserthills

billdeserthills New Member

Well Greebo, while I like a larger caliber,
    I hear that Shot Placement is Key,
    I guess if you are doing well at the range,
    Everything will be OK

7. CA357

Just some clarification here. I'm in California and cannot legally carry a handgun. You must be butt buddies with the Sheriff or rich or be a politician to get a concealed carry permit in this County.

I have none of those qualifications. I'm only a law abiding Citizen, a Vet and a Taxpayer. None of that counts here.

8. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I am in the same category of NGIB. Depending of what I think will be coming up, is what I carry.

One of the first rules of a possible gun fight is "have a gun".
    Another adage is "Beware of the individual who has only one gun, he may know how to use it."

I like to carry anything that has a "4" (.40, .44, .45) as the first digit of the caliber, but others have to be considered.

9. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I prefer the .357sig, that'll be all. Thanks for listening.:)

10. General_lee

General_lee New Member

While I prefer a .45 whenever possible, I have nothing against other calibers.
    Any bullet CAN and WILL kill or injure its target, any bullet is better than no bullet.

I carry my .45 and a .32 while I'm at work at the gun store, and I carry the .45 during the colder months when I can conceal under a jacket.
    Other times, it just depends on where I will be going that day, sometimes i'll have a .380, .32, or sometimes .22mag.

It is true that the bigger the bullet, the bigger the damage, but ANY bullet will do the job with a well placed shot.

11. winch

winch New Member

I like 9mm because it is cost effective to shoot/practice. However, I am getting an itch for a .45 too!

12. Jay

Jay New Member

Personally speaking.... if you don't hit the target, it doesn't matter what caliber you choose... unless you use rounds that feature proximity detonation. Worry about shot placement first. Then take yer choice..... :cool:

[​IMG]

13. 007BondJamesBond007

007BondJamesBond007 New Member

I carry a 9mm but prefer an 45acp. My 1911 has a real light target trigger not suited for cc. My Beretta 92 I carry has 15 +1 the extra rounds make up the difference.

14. JonM

JonM Moderator

your an enemy of the state. how dare you not be on the govt teet!!:eek:

15. Biohazurd

Biohazurd New Member

9mm is no slouch by any means. I carry a .45 as my primary normally but i dont feel outguned by any means if i have one of my 9s or 40s.

My backup pieces ranges from .32 to 9mm as well so...

16. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

9mm has plenty of good choices for self defense and is good enough for two legged critters. I've tested 9mm gold dots in soaked newspaper and it has plenty of penetration and expansion. Do some testing yourself anf you will never doubt.

I am carrying my .40 xdsc these days. 1. Because I have an awesome holster made by a local guy 2. I don't want my 1911 taken by the popo's if'in I have to use it. 3. It's light and easy to carry with this holster.

I need to get some pics of that baby up. It's pretty much just like a crossbreed supertuck deluze in horsehide. :cool:

17. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

67.9% of all Perps that have been shot say that they prefer to be shot with a 9mm or smaller. All the others were shot with a 45 and we not around to talk about it.

The 9mm has been around and killing since 1902. So it must be doing something right.

If you like the 9mm then that is what you should use. Don't worry about what others say.

I call the 9mmL a sissy girly round. But with a quality SD load and bullet I am sure anyone shot centermass is gonna feel the burn baby.

So be like Tango and tell them to go piss up a rope. Then shoot rings around them. Because I bet 99% can't shoot very well either.

18. Greebo

Greebo New Member

LOL sissy girly round? how do you really feel about it :p?....Ok I will admit that I am feeling the itch to try out a 1911, simply because so many ppl talk about how good it is and how much fun it is to shoot but to be honest if I do get one, I really don't see myself carrying it, it just looks to big to be easily concealed.

Perps having difficulty shooting and aim correctly try the all new sights:

http://www.mossycreekcustom.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/homeboy-sights1.jpg

19. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

9x19 is a good round. I don't use a high cap handgun for carry as they tend to be to bulky. I load 135gr hyrdo-shok. I usually carry a 9x18 Pa63.

20. CA357

Greebo, check out how slim my 1911 is with thin grips on it.

[​IMG]