Caliber for Deer and Coyotes

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by TheWhiteDeath57, Aug 1, 2014.

1. TheWhiteDeath57

TheWhiteDeath57 New Member

The title says it all. I'm looking for new rifle to take deer and coyotes on a budget. I want a caliber that will cleanly kill both and won't put a huge hole in coyote pelts as I'd like to keep them. I've heard solid things about the .243 Winchester & 6.5 Creedmoor. What would you guys suggest? What bullet is best for little fur damage on coyote pelts?

2. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

I think a good option along with what you listed is the caliber rifle that my uncle just left at my house, the .25-06. In layman's terms it's essentially a .243 magnum so it's got an edge on deer over the .243 yet it goes down to some nice light varmint loads too.

3. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

How about head shots with '06.

4. bradam

bradam Member

According to hornaday 9th edition: 243 win 58gr to 105gr 6.5 creedmoore 95gr to 160gr. a little bit better selection of bullets with the .243

5. rockratt

rockratt Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Never owned a Creedmoor but I have the 243 and it would be an excellent choice IMO...

6. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

the 243 is a good choice for larger varmints to medium sized game animals as long as the proper bullets are used and good shot placement is done. i am not as familiar with the 6.5 Creedmore, but 6.5 mm calibered cartridges like the 6.5x55 have an excellent reputation as medium sized game animal cartridges. the 25-06 as suggested is also another good option and one i like as it to is very versatile for larger varmints and medium sized game animals. another option that i might suggest is the 7mm-08. decent range of bullet sizes for different applications, excellent ballistics and mild recoil.

unless you are a reloader, i would stay with the more popular calibers due to price and availability of selection for bullets for various types of hunting. moving away from the more popular cartridges, the price of factory ammo gets more expensive for the more premium ammo and the selection of choices gets smaller.

7. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

8. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

A 243 with 100gr bullets will down a deer. The 25/06 does not have the range you might think it does. Once the bullets slow down below 2,700 fps the 25/06 has virtually no hydrostatic shock. In fact, I have seen deer shot with a 25/06 that the bullet didn't even pass through the deer. Yes, it killed the deer but we would have never found the deer without the aid of dogs.

If you are only going to have one rifle to do everything you are really limited to two caliber choices, either a 270 or a 30/06. If you have a 30/06 you can find a load for any game animal in North America. You might not plan on traveling to hunt, but when opportunity knocks it's nice to have a rifle that can make the trip. I have been on several guided hunts and I didn't plan on going on any of them.

9. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

I'll second that, and add that if for only game, the 270 is superior to all, but if you want to add paramilitary sharpshooting to your list, then the 06 prevails.

Both are overkill for 'yotes though.

But better to over-kill your 'yotes than to under-kill your deer.

10. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

If the primary purpose is yotes I would say 243, if your primary use is deer I would go with a 260 Rem or a 7-08!

11. SSGSF

SSGSF New Member

How about 22-250 it's good for varmints and deer.
    Or you could look into the 204 .
    There are many calibers that will get the job done for yotes and deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

12. tinbucket

tinbucket Well-Known Member

The bullet is the biggest contributor in most calibers. My .270 Wby blows up leaaving a very big and ugly wound on deer under about 1020 yards with most bullets . Bronze solids of 130 grain hold together pretty well. A coyote on a deer hunt I don't worry. Put a 90 gr bullet load at cclose to 4000-4200 ft per second hand load in the rifle. It will take the head completely off or the front half. It won't feel a thing. Hunting for the pelts, I would use a solid of about 90 grains. It will reach way out and touch them and not leave too much damage to the skin, internally it will be terrible from hydraulic shock. Maybe 400 yards on it will just leave a clean hole? Haven't tried so don't know. Up close, in the woods .22 mag will do it if you hit the head or lung heart area. A .357 hollow point will just tear them up, maybe take half the head off. A .38 in the woods or really a .30-30. .45 Colt or .44-40 in handguns. .22 Horntet up close to a hundred yards. There are so many that wil lfit socme of all circumstances, you will have to use what you have and maybe reload a different bullet, or might want a different callber based on the ranges you hunt. I'm always looking for an exxcuse for a new gun.

13. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I like the .270 in this category, but any of the .25-.30 caliber guns are going to do the job of taking the animal in a non-cruel way. However, condition of the pelt is also affected by terminal ballistics - what happens when the bullet hits the body. This is not always a caliber issue. Many hunters unknowingly use mushrooming rounds, which are meant to cause trauma and hypovolemic shock. You can choose a bonded round intended for deeper penetration that will still kill if it hits the chest cavity or cranial vault, but will not expand as much as other rounds. All major arms manufacturers carry deep penetration rounds for thick-hided animals, so check into the various lines and familiarize yourself with current bullet technology.

Also, depending on the size of the animals in your area, some people are reporting the .17 HMR as good for dispatching these animals cleanly, but I don't have any personal experience on this one.

14. Axxe55

unless he's in a state that has a minimum caliber restriction on game animals. that's something he needs to check out in his state's game laws to see if they do.

just some clarification on your comments.

are you saying you hunt at a 1000 yards?

and what are you loading that pushes a 90 gr. weight bullet at 4000-4200 fps?

15. Steel_Talon

Steel_Talon New Member

Yeah, that's a hella 1000yard 270 rifle right their... Hey Tin what bullet you using to get that blow up?

16. Steel_Talon

Steel_Talon New Member

You've heard correctly the .243 and the 6mm would be the popular choice for your needs. Decades of use for that purpose.

If your not interested in taking pelts then 7mm-08.,or a 25-06 would be in my consideration.

17. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

A 22-250 or a 204 for deer??????????????????????????????:(

18. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Depending on the deer and range, I like the 25-06.

The .223 is okay for yotes, but a little light for some deer (like Wisconsin deer). Florida deer are about the size of a large dog.

Call me whatever, I still prefer the 7.62X51 for things over 150#.

19. bradam

bradam Member

How about a sling shot with a marble under a 100 yards?::eek:

20. Axxe55

personally i wouldn't use a 204, but any centerfire caliber is legal in the state of Texas for deer hunting.

one of my co-workers main deer and hog gun was a Sako in 222 Rem. and he never failed to get a hog or deer with that rifle. he limited his shots to under hundred yards and he was a pretty decent shooter.