Firearms Talk banner

cabelas

9K views 25 replies 17 participants last post by  apwvsd40ve 
#1 ·
I live in ironton Ohio which is just right across the river from huntington west Virginia....has anybody heard about a cabelas being put in in Charleston

#8 ·
:)YES THERE IS!!! It opens Thurs Aug 9th 2012 at 11am. Been over there to see building. It is huge. Several of my friends are working there.

#10 ·
Cabela's SUCKS

Everytime I go in there, it cost me a LOT of money! In fact, just spent over $300 last night, and may go back next week and spend almost 1k on a new sport utility rifle :)

Dude, it truly sounds like a personal problem to me. Either do one of 3 things: 1) Join CA (Cabela's Anonymous, 2) Leave Credit Card and ALL cash at home when you go and/or 3) SPEND SPEND SPEND to your hearts content. Don't blame Cabela's for your addiction. Remember "de nile" is also a river in Egypt. :)

#11 ·
Cabela's in Charleston is around 80,000 sq. ft. I will eventually make it to Wheeling, which is around 132,000 sq. ft. This has quickly become my favorite "toy store." The prices seems to run a little high, but I guess that is to be expected being the new kid on the block.

#13 ·
Cabela's in Charleston is around 80,000 sq. ft. I will eventually make it to Wheeling, which is around 132,000 sq. ft. This has quickly become my favorite "toy store." The prices seems to run a little high, but I guess that is to be expected being the new kid on the block.

Cabelas in Wheeling is 175,000 sq ft. I have been to both, and if you have been to Wheeling, the Charleston store will leave you sorely disappointed. It's very similar to a Gander Mountain, and doesn't carry much at all in the way of merchandise. Everything is jammed into the small space, and it has a snack bar instead of the restaurant.

All-in-all, pretty disappointing.

#14 ·
I do not know about Charleston and I wish you luck! But I sure wish they would put one in Tennessee!
I have even done a market study for the Nashville or Cookeville area and sent them a letter and information advising we sure would like to have a store in Tennessee. They were going to put one in Greenwood Indiana which is about 4 hours from us here in Tennessee, until the city fathers tried to rape the company. Had the ground leveled and set, sewers in, streets and everything ready to build on site. And then the local politicians got involved so Cabales told them to forget it!
As I stated, I hope they are putting one in your area. It is one of my favorite stores and the taxidermy animal displays areas are absolutely fantastic!!!! I especially like the display at Dundee Michigan! And the Bear and Cub Statue out front! :D

#15 ·
Cabelas in Wheeling is 175,000 sq ft. I have been to both, and if you have been to Wheeling, the Charleston store will leave you sorely disappointed. It's very similar to a Gander Mountain, and doesn't carry much at all in the way of merchandise. Everything is jammed into the small space, and it has a snack bar instead of the restaurant.

All-in-all, pretty disappointing.

Dude... I mean no disrespect, but you are way off base when you say Cabelas is similar to Gander Mountain. My wife worked at Gander Mountain until last year, and they were going downhill since then. Gander no longer stocks ATVs, parts and accessories, boats, etc. The building used to house Lowe's before they moved across Corridor G to Trace Fork and it was 50,000square feet, whereas Cabelas is over 80,000 square feet. IMHO Gander Montain will be gone within a year. Cabelas is the best thing to happen to Charleston, and I cannot wait to visit the one in Wheeling.

#18 ·
Sniper03 said:
I do not know about Charleston and I wish you luck! But I sure wish they would put one in Tennessee!
I have even done a market study for the Nashville or Cookeville area and sent them a letter and information advising we sure would like to have a store in Tennessee. They were going to put one in Greenwood Indiana which is about 4 hours from us here in Tennessee, until the city fathers tried to rape the company. Had the ground leveled and set, sewers in, streets and everything ready to build on site. And then the local politicians got involved so Cabales told them to forget it!
As I stated, I hope they are putting one in your area. It is one of my favorite stores and the taxidermy animal displays areas are absolutely fantastic!!!! I especially like the display at Dundee Michigan! And the Bear and Cub Statue out front! :D

You're in luck, not quite Tennessee but I hear they are building one @ exit 7 in Bristol, Virginia. About 2hrs from Knoxville.

#19 ·
Fathead00 said:
That's what my local Gander is doing right now. They said they will carry more firearms than Cabelas and Bass Pro Shop combined!!
They aren't kidding brother. I watched gander go from 400 firearms to 6,000 firearms. All in one place. Right now they have the biggest selection of firearms in the state of West Virginia. Only their prices are outrageous.

#20 ·
Akers,
Towboater's information sure is exciting for you! I prefer Cabela's over all other Sporting Goods Stores. So many Goodies!
I believe we are going to get a new store in our area in the future in Louisville KY. It would only be 2.5 hours from the my home. Good day trip! Or to stop by when I am traveling! They were going to put a store in Greenwood In. and even had broke the ground ran water lines, street access and everything. Then the from what I was advised the City's politicians messing them over and Cabela's told them to shove it! Politicians once again! Can't imagine how much revenue that cost the Greenwood area!
Anyway happy and glad to see you are getting a store close to you!:D

#23 ·
Gander Mountain and Cabellas both have some big-time overhead to throw on the price of your firearm. Ganders' fees for FFL transfers are like $75 - which is the same as saying 'we don't want your FFL business'. They tend to run $50-200 more than the LGS - but they usually have the inventory. So if you want it new and you want it now, better go to one of those guys - especially now. No guarantees tho. Everybody is running out of inventory at the moment.

#24 ·
I LOVE me some Cabela's!! And I am screwed, big time!! They are opening one between Newark and Wilmington, DE, about 35-40 minutes from my house, in 2014.

Gotta drive about 1 1/2 hours to the store in Hamburg, PA right now, and I spend tooooooooo much there as it is!!

I may need an intervention!!!

#26 ·
Love cabelas..but the crowds get me lately...went to wheeling last month and the line to LOOK at a firearm was literally 100 deep.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.