Ca-10

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by elk-acholic, Aug 20, 2012.

1. elk-acholic

elk-acholic New Member

What do you guys think about Christensen CA-10 as a precision rifle? I'm thinking about getting something it, an AR style rifle in a .308 or 6.5 Creedmor as a precsion rifle. Is this a good rifle or should I maybe be thinking going custom?

2. StoneCat

StoneCat New Member

When you say "precision" what are you talking about? For example, what ranges are we thinking?

Personally, I'd say a good Remington bolt action can make hits on steel out to 1,000 with proper scope, mounts, ammo and dope.
    The only semi I've PERSONALLY seen that can come close is the M-21 variant of the Springfield Armory m1a...

If you want to take up serious distance, I'd say start with GA precision.

3. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Im going to ask you what you are planning on using it for ? what range ? bench gun / carry gun ? and does it need to be semi auto ? lots of stuff out there I would choose for less than $3500

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  4. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Many of the AR platforms (larger than 5.56, of course) will absolutely do this.

They probably won't accomplish it on the same budget as a bolt action, but they can and will do it. I believe you could probably get it done for under $2K, optics and all. But that's in the hands of a shooter who is equal to the task. Unfortunately, I'm not that shooter (I really wish I was though). I'm not sure I'll ever have the time, finances, or patience to earn that level of skill. If you don't have a solid "natural talent base" to work off, I'd imagine you'd pay quite a bit climbing that ladder.

5. elk-acholic

elk-acholic New Member

I'm interested in the AR platform. Love the look and feel. When I say precision I mean both printing tight groups and long range. I'm not real big on shooting animals at farther ranges maybe out to 500 if I have to and I can get set up properly to make that shot. This would be more of target gun. I know what you guys are saying, I can get a good bolt gun for cheaper. I already got a couple bolt guns that I'm reaching out to 880 yards constantly. And those are off the shelf average hunting rifles. Looking for something new.

6. elk-acholic

elk-acholic New Member

Still no one has answered the question. What do you think about Christensen arms CA-10? Is it worth the price tag?

7. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Including a link to the product, a price, or a picture might have aided in getting the response you seem to be after. I don't know anything about it, including the price...and I guess I just wasn't super motivated to go on a Google Hunt. I'm sure some share my perspective, while others are probably well versed in this particular rifle.

It probably wouldn't be worth it for me. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that it's beyond my budget, skill level, and need/shooting style. But it might fit great with yours.

Best of luck with the decision.

8. elk-acholic

elk-acholic New Member

Ok sorry about that. Ya I hadn't heard much about them either to lately. I'm trying to get someone that knows the rifle. Sorry for confusion

9. elk-acholic

elk-acholic New Member

10. orangello

orangello New Member

So, nobody on the whole forum has had a chance to try this rifle? I am kinda shocked here.

I wish you the best of luck in your quest for elk, whatever weapon you choose; fewer elk means less bear food; less bear food means fewer bears; fewer bears = :) .

11. elk-acholic

elk-acholic New Member

Haha. I take it the bears are a probably in your area. Don't have bears here but the elk do a number of the pastures and fences. Ya thanks, I got my elk rifle/bow already. This CA-10 is a fun project on the side.

12. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Apologies Elk, I was running around other parts of the forum today and neglected the AR section. :eek:

First part - Is Christensen Arms a good product?

Many who have reviewed them have indicated they are tack drivers. I have never shot one, and I have only handled on on a display, so take this for what it is worth. About zero... LOL

The weapon has all the fit and feel (very little rattle or play between upper and lower) of a well built AR platform. I don't remember off hand what direction they went with on their AR-10 build (It was either Armalite or DPMS and they don't play well together like on the AR-15) so you would want to look into that before spending any money. Both platforms will probably be around forever, but sooner or later one of them is going to take a bigger bite out of the market and then you have Blu-Ray versus DVD on a much more expensive scale. ;)

One of the things that I don't personally care for, other than the price tag :eek:, is their proprietary carbon fiber, matrix, super duper lightweight material that makes the rifles weigh quite a bit less than others on the market.

I am not a fan of weapons like the Carbon-15 (where the carbon fiber receivers shed weight on your gun) because we have seen them break during moderate field use and then you have yourself, at best, the world's first AR sniper pistol. :mad:

I have never seen a broken part on a Christensen rifle. I have only seen one period. But I prefer to not spend $3500-$4000 on some fancy new material that is SUPPOSED to be as strong as something like billet steel.

By all accounts they build a hell of a rifle. You might find they are the best one out there. But I would look for an honest to goodness real time owner before spending that kind of cash.

I have yet to see anyone post one here, so I don't know if we have any owners. Maybe Christensen has a loyal following and they have their own forum?

Good luck and keep us informed. I would love to know what a member shooter thinks. I don't trust those guys on other websites. :D

JD

13. elk-acholic

elk-acholic New Member

K thanks for the info.

14. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

Yeah, it looks like a DI version of POF. A bit pricey though. I agree with Jon. Wait until someone who owns one chimes in. I noticed no forward assist. Some AR makers lately are confident enough in their wares that they feel their guns will function without them. For the money, though, a lot of the experienced members here, myself included, could build you a high quality AR in about any configuration (legal) you wanted and leave you enough to buy a case of premium ammo to shoot through it.

15. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

I spent a little more time on the site, and it looks like it might be a piston gun. The description didn't say, but it has an Adams Arms look-alike piston kit available on the "components" tab. I am not saying this gun wouldn't fall into the "teir 1" category, if not better, but that is a lot of money for a firearm that doesn't have a track record that anyone knows about.

16. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

I took a couple more minutes looking, and they actually use carbon fiber on the external part of the barrel and the handguard. The receivers are aluminum. Carbon Fiber is expensive, so it may be a good gun. What a lot of people fail to notice on Bushy's carbon 15 is that it is not carbon fiber, but plastic. They probably use a 3-D printer. CARBON 15 is just their trademarked model name, nothing to do with carbon fiber. They are shamelessly exploiting the popularity of carbon fiber, which was what was on the exterior of the F117 nighthawk stealth bomber.

17. elk-acholic

elk-acholic New Member

18. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member