C3's Gun quiz

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by c3shooter, Sep 2, 2009.

1. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

OK- I THINK I got a decent quiz together (and I hope I got the answers right- GOD that can be embarrassing!)

Give it a try- Defense of answers available for the mere cost of a beer- you buy if you lose a challenge!

Quiz Your Friends - Take Your Friend's Quiz

2. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Thanks C3 for making them a little more military based questions. 90% "EXCELLENT! Gun Guru!" Yea, I think I peed a little. :)

Jack

3. suprdave

suprdave New Member

That quiz made me feel dumb. Well, dumber than usual...

4. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Ya' got me on the last Q. I did not know that. At least I have now satisfied my requirement to learn something new every day. The rest were too easy.

5. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

That's been the hardest one yet. I had never even heard of a couple of those. :eek:

6. c3shooter

Glad y'all liked it- 12 takers so far- scores 90-10. Anybody wanna go for the gold?:rolleyes:

Had fun putting it together.

We can do another next week if this works out OK-:)

BTW- anybody that wants a justification of an answer, send me a PM- The beer is really optional. It makes the computer soggy when you send it by internet.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  7. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

Look at my name there. I kinda guessed on 1 of them-the last. Neil

8. c3shooter

Congratulations Neil! We have a WINNAH ! DING DING DING DING DING !

Bear got a hundred Bear got a hundred Bear got a hundred !

Several of you have done very well- Stalkingbear is the first to max out.

Your reward is that you get to come up with questions for the next one! :eek:

9. c3shooter

6 more takers, but the Bear holds the title solo so far!:p

10. WDB

WDB New Member

When did the US military issue a 50 cal pistol?????

11. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I was kind of wondering that myself, but as it was not the first question I missed, I was going to let it slide........

What we need is some sort of gun quiz that is truly FOOL PROOF. No using Google, no using BING, no consorting with your friends who are in the no....

*rubbing chin*

I sense an epic new test on the horizon.... 10 questions. Bah! This will seperate those in the know and those with a fast left click finger....

JD

12. WDB

WDB New Member

Come on JD I know you can make it right

13. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I'm working on it, but I have some feelers out to some people I know who can make software "available" and I have not heard back yet....

I have a plan for a truly, TRULY epic firearms test that will be heavy on long range shooters, heavy on the works of John Browning and heavy on "other stuff" ;)

Standby WDB, I have a PM coming your way PRIOR to the new test coming on line....:)

JD

14. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

HA HA HAHAH I beat dillinger.

I have conflicting years for the 357 mag I have some stuff that says 34 and others that say 35.

15. c3shooter

WDB- see PM for your answer

If you gents like, will let this run until tommorrow PM, and will post answers and provenance of answers here.

29 takers so far, several 90s, one 100. And no, not an easy quiz.

16. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

That's the 1 I didn't know but figured it was some obscure round like that so I just chose the biggest. I suspect it was very limited & back in Calvary days. Am I right?

17. zhuk

zhuk New Member

Guesswork rules once again lol

Sometimes sheer guessing is better than thinking you know & getting hung up on 2 possible answers which are similar. Like for the last ? I just thought "Hmm, US military? gotta be the most badass surely"

and so it was :p

18. c3shooter

Awright, I'll post the answers. Just please don't beat me no mo!

1. The 45-70 was designated by caliber (45) and the charge of black powder in grains (70) OTHER rounds may use length of case, or year of introduction.

2. .357 Magnum was first brought out in 1935. Unveiled in late 34, but on the market in 35. ONE of George Patton's ivory gripped revolvers was a .357 Magnum.

3. The Pedersen Device was a WW I invention that replaced the bolt on the 03 Springfield 30-06 rifle, and permitted SEMI AUTO fire of a small .30 cal pistol type cartridge from the rifle. EXTREMELY scarce to find one- they are worth a new F-150 pickup!

4. The M-3 carbine was a modified M-2 (full auto) with an infrared night scope, and a BIG battery pack. While you don't think of a .30 carbine as being a sniper rifle, when you can see in the dark, and the other guy can't- it is a sniper rifle. Used in the Pacific campaign in late WW II.

5. The letter R at the end of a cartridge designation indicates a RIMMED case, like 30-30, or the cartridge for the Moisin-Nagant rifle. 30-06, .308 etc are rimless.

6. Taking it's name from the small boat that mounted it, a Punt Gun was 2-6 gauge, fired a pound or so of shot, was used by market hunters to shoot an entire flock of ducks with one shot (and sometimes, sink small boats from recoil)

7. Yes, Virginia, there WAS a real rocket pistol- the MBA Gyrojet. Lack of accuracy and extreme ammo cost were it's downfall.

8. One of the earliest self contained cartridges was the pinfire- each round had it's own firing pin- the gun had none. Expensive to make, awkward to load, and falling down wearing a bandoleer of pinfire shotshells would make you really popular with your hunting companions.

9. SAAMI (Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturer's Institution) actually lists very few OFFICIAL +P loads- However, ALL .38 Super ammo is considered "+P"- since it is identical in dimensions to the earlier (weaker) .38 Auto.

10. While I love my .45, it was not the biggest. Before the cartridge revolver was the Remington Rolling Block pistol, an Army and a Navy version, in caliber .50 Remington. Dates from about 1870, not popular, due to slow rate of fire- but would make a DANDY club!

Thank all of you that tried your hand- if you like, will put together another quiz for next week- Now let me see- what WAS the bullet weight for the .307 Schneelock Triangular Revolver cartridge...... :rolleyes: