C ar15 vertical grip

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by alexander_car15, Mar 15, 2011.

1. alexander_car15

alexander_car15 New Member

I'm a newbie on the ar15 , what parts do i have to buy to install a vertical grip into my CAR15?

i already have the picantinny rail and the foregrip. do i need other accessories? because it doesn't seem to fit :confused:

2. WoodysKJ

WoodysKJ New Member

Pics of your set-up and attempted set-up would be helpful.

3. rjgnwdc

rjgnwdc New Member Supporter

4. kenhesr

kenhesr New Member

Hummm, doesn't fit as in how? If you mean that the rail won't slide into the grip - Is this one of those that you have to pull the battery compartment out FIRST because the ridge on the top of it is what locks the grip to the rail????

Or do you mean the bolts that came with the picatinny rail need to be longer to go thru the heat shield on the forearm. ????? If its a problem with mounting the rail to the forearm, there is a lot of good info in the reviews of this product on amazon.

Sorry, ??????????, Ken

PS - Welcome to the forum, you are in Good Hands! :D

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  5. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Out of spec rail and possibly the grip as well.

6. rjgnwdc

rjgnwdc New Member Supporter

Probably needs to change the forearm because the rails won't bolt up:confused:

7. alexander_car15

alexander_car15 New Member

the grip fit to the rail, but this two pieces together doesnt fit to the handguard; will I have to buy another handguard or the original its enough?

8. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

The add-on rail will bolt up to your handguard, correct?

Will the grip slide onto the add-on rail?

9. kenhesr

kenhesr New Member

OK, now I get it! Sounds like the easy way would be to buy a new handguard with the rail already on it.

Or you might have to modify the handguard you have now to use the rail you just bought.

Click on the Amazon link in your reply above. Then click on the product reviews for the rail. Sounds like other folks have had the same problem you are having.

The one guy talks about grinding the handguard flat in the area where the rail needs to go, drilling new holes, using longer bolts with nuts to attach the rail. If you have the tools, it doesn't sound like much of a deal.

Good luck! Ken

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  10. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I think I get it now as well. The mounting holes for the add-on rail don't line up w/ the hand guard?

Is your rifle a Bushmaster Car15? If so you'll have to do some trimming on the OE hand guard to get the rail section to fit.

On a carbine length rail it might be easier to use a thumb over style grip. Thats where you wrap your hand around the hand guard placing your thumb on the top portion of the hand guard. Your thumb should point toward your front sight or simply wrap around the hand guard.

11. Westy

Westy New Member

If the problem your having with the amazon parts is the screw don't line up with the holes in the handguards, you have the wrong part. The holes in the handguards are spaced different depending on the length. I did the same thing with some from Cabela's and had to get the other size.