buying my first handgun

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by jackal6, Sep 4, 2012.

1. jackal6

jackal6 New Member

I'm getting my first handgun leaning towards kimber custom ii I'm set on a 1911 I'm also active military is there anything I can get special because of that?

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Welcome to FTF. You might be able to get a discount,maybe. That's about it.

3. jackal6

jackal6 New Member

Thank you and shoot I was hoping I could get more

4. JD1969

JD1969 New Member

Like what? Lots of gun shops will give military and LEO discounts, but that is up to the individual store. Remember they are still a business and need to make money. Go in and ask what they can do for you.

5. jackal6

jackal6 New Member

I'm not really looking for discounts I live in ca and as everyone knows guns laws are stupid strict, I was hoping I could get things that are normally not allowed

6. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

Well of course you CAN get things not usually allowed, and they would be a lot of fun.

You have to ask yourself..... Is it worth the jail time :p?

7. gollygee

gollygee New Member

Check the state laws. Of course if you're like me, may not read legaleeze real well so maybe the guys at your LGS can help. Seems I've read that law enforcement in commiefornia is exhempt from their laws, but I don't know about military.

The best solution is to apply for a transfer & let the military move you out of that commie state. ;)

Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
  8. jackal6

jackal6 New Member

I'm going this week to order a kimber custom ii so ill ask then

9. therhino

therhino New Member

Out of curiosity, are you an on-base resident or off-base? Base SOP at 29 Palms required you to lock up your personal weapons in the company or battalion armory. Will your Kimber end up in the hands of your company armorer?

10. jackal6

jackal6 New Member

Hell no it won't, Im in pendleton but I live off base

11. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

Have you looked at Springfield Armory? Or are you set on a Kimber?

I can not for the life of me understand why states like California or Illinois have such stupid laws concerning what people can carry.

12. Rarity

Rarity New Member

Yet they wonder why their crime rates are so high..

You can definitely get some discounts at some local gun shops. Just remember, the Hughes Amendment and NFA exists for all of us, which sucks. These acts must be repealed by us.

13. jackal6

jackal6 New Member

I tried a Springfield but it wasn't as accurate as the kimber, but that was just my preference

14. NM-LEO

NM-LEO New Member

Springfield LESS accurate than Kimber?

That's YOUR shooting, bud. Springfield makes the same quality, if not better, than Kimber. I say that because I own a Kimber and also own a custom Springfield.

Kimber is only a showboat firearm. No better shooting quality; maybe fancier looking, with their "snake skin" grips, but no better working or shooting components ;)

15. jackal6

jackal6 New Member

Ya that's y I said kimber was just my preference, and both guns were rented and in poor shape so that may have had some effect as well

16. NM-LEO

NM-LEO New Member

Ahhh I see ;)