Buying Handguns at Online Websites - Advantages & Disadvantages

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by bf109, Oct 24, 2010.

1. bf109

bf109 New Member

I checked a couple of online gun stores and found that their prices are significantly lower than MSRP. Are those prices for Brand New pistols with manufacturer's warranties? What's the source of these pistols? How come they're much cheaper than retail gun stores?

What're the disadvantages of buying online? What's the chance of getting re-furbished or used guns when paying for brand new ones?

Can you recommend a few reliable and reputables online gun stores that have good customer feedbacks and reasonable return policies?

Lastly, what're the steps to go thru when buying online? Do I have to have the pistols delivered to a local gun shop and pay a fee?

Thanks.

2. Daoust_Nat

Daoust_Nat Well-Known Member Supporter

In Florida the firearm has to ship to someone with a FFL license, which unless you know someone means a gun shop. Here the gunshop will charge about $25 to $35 to process the state paperwork and if you don't have a CCW you will wait three days to pickup the gun. You may save on the sales tax though, so that can be a wash.

At least that is what one of the local gun shops told me. As I have a CCW I have found I can do almost as well at the gun shows and take the weapon home with me.

3. bf109

bf109 New Member

Thanks for your comments.

I'm in Connecticut and am not sure what the law requires. Can anyone from CT share his experience in buying online or from a gun show?

4. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Bud's Gun Shop generally gets top reviews for selection, service, and competitive pricing. Smokin sales deals are pretty common there.

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Not a lawyer, but am a FFL holder.
    In order to buy a handgun ANYWHERE in the US, it will need to be transferred to you thru a Federal Firearms License holder in your home state. This can be an 01 dealer, or an 02 Pawnshop. Some of us hold 03 Collector's Licenses, meaning cetain firearms (usually 50 yrs old) can be shipped directly to us.

You will pay purchase price, plus shipping, plus transfer fee at your end. Transfer fees may be $10, or $100- delaer sets his fee. Gunbroker.com and auctionarms.com are both competive bid sales sites, both have a "find a FFL" function, both show feedback ratings on sellers (and buyers). If a business is selling firearms, and they sub a used gun for a new one, they lay themselves open to mail fraud charges, assuming payment was sent by mail. DO NOT USE PAYPAL FOR GUNS.

6. hideit

hideit New Member

most guns are below MSRP
    and sending from ffl to another ffl is ok
    i have done it

7. Hollander

Hollander New Member

I have purchased several guns online from Bud's Guns and others. Never have had a problem. If I can save more than $60.00 for the most part I use the online system. Check out the dealer's reputation for service and reliability first and then go for it if you can save yourself some money.

8. bf109

bf109 New Member

How about ammo and gun accessories?

Thanks for all your responses.

How about buying ammo or gun accessories (i.e. magzines) online? Can the seller ship the ammo directly to my address?

9. NGIB

NGIB New Member

As you live in New York I would guess that there are limitations on what can be bought through the mail. Go to some web sites and check, if they don't ship particular items (like ammo) to NY - they'll say so...

10. bf109

bf109 New Member

Can I have the gun shipped to my local gun shop?

Hi, thanks for the info.

The few FFL holders to whom I can ship the guns bought online are too far away from where I live. I wonder if I can have the pistol shipped to my local gun shop. I guess they're FFL holder because they sell guns.

If I buy pistols from Bud's gun shop online, how do I make the arrangement to have the guns shipped to my local gun shop? Do I need to get info. from the local shop first? Would it jeopardise my relationship with them?

Please share your experience. Thanks.

11. jeepcreep927

jeepcreep927 New Member

The FFL holders in your area listed by Bud's are probably just ones that other customers have had shipped to or the on line company has on file.

I would go chat it up with the employees of the local shop before just automatically having it shipped there. You will need to provide the on-line seller with a copy of the signed FFL anyhow, which someone at the shop will have to send to Bud's or give to you. I buy quite a few guns on Gunbroker and the shop that does all my transfers just gave me several copies of the FFL so I don't need to call them every time I decide to buy something. Every second or third gun they transfer for free since I buy stuff they have in stock sometimes also.
    Some on line sellers want the FFL signed in ink, others will accept a faxed copy, but they need one either way.

12. FreedomFighter69

FreedomFighter69 New Member

Some gunshop owners get pissed if you do it because your not buying off of them !
    I seen one guy at a gunshop here being told by the owner to not come back anymore because he bought online and had it shipped to his store. He barred him from the store !
    I think the shop owner should grow up and he's wrong to make such a big deal especially
    since the guy bough about 3 guns off him in the past. Now he just lost a good customer who was a weekly buyer. Whether it be ammo, cases, magazines, or guns, the guy was there every saturday ! Some shop owners feel like your using them for their license I guess. I think it's bad buisiness, a good way to lose customers ! Maybe some shop owners should bring down their prices, and then people won't go online to buy. One shop here for instance charges $12.00 for a 100ct box of CCI Mini-Mags . That's a 150% markup ! The normal price is $8.00, the internet price is $6.50 ! If you ask me the same shop who kicked the guy out is a theif !

13. gatopardo

gatopardo New Member

To most prices you see online add about $40 at your local gun store to receive them. Good chances are your local gun store already have the weapon in question anyways.

Good things to buy online: Magazines, ammunition , holsters, scopes, red dots, which are most overpriced on retail stores, (exceptions made on holsters, which prices are almost the same), and can be shipped directly to your home.

Most local shops will be glad to receive the weapon, jut have the courtesy to call first, even if they are listed on any website already, you are going to be buying sometimes from them from time to time.

Saving a buck but losing a friend is a bad move.:eek:

14. bf109

bf109 New Member

No luck at the local gun shop

I had a chance to talk to the local gun shop about buying military surplus rifles. They said they don't transfer on new guns. Period. For used ones, they charge $75 for the transfer. That's ridiculous. I'll have to find other FFL holders in my area for the transfer.

If their price is within $60-70 range of the online price, I have no problem buying and supporting them. But charging $75 for paperwork is a rip-off.

15. gatopardo

gatopardo New Member

Goodness gracious, what got into those people! :eek: Unless they are the only gun shop in 100 miles around, find someone else.

Oh, I see you are in NY, I'm starting to suspect things are different over there, they can get away with it because they can, small supply and higher demand drives the prices sky hi.
    Here in the Midwest, things are different, more even I guess you could say, regulation are more lax. You are bound to find a better bargain.

Good luck friend

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  16. billdeserthills

billdeserthills New Member

I charge $25.00 to transfer in a new gun, but I think you should act now to procure your own FFL, as I think it is best done while you still know everything about it...:D

17. hemiram

hemiram New Member

Wow! Nice profit margin. My FFL charges $20, and makes a nice chunk of change doing it. $75 is just crazy, in fact, it's insulting. One place here gets $60 a pop, and has prices, and I'm being serious, hundreds of dollars more than the same gun can be found online. When I was looking for a S&W 5906, they had one that was in great shape, in the box, with two mags and paperwork. $550! I went to Gunbroker and found one in just as good condition, in the box and paperwork, for $325. Add 2 X $20 for shipping and transfer, and I saved $185 by going online. If I would have taken one without the box and paperwork, I could have saved another $25 bucks or so.

18. bf109

bf109 New Member

Update on FFL

Hi, I was able to find a local FFL within 6 miles who will do the transfer for $25.
    I cannot wait for my pistol permit to be proved so that I can go ahead buying my 1st handgun.