buying garands from cmp

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by mountainman13, Jun 25, 2012.

1. flyspooky

flyspooky New Member

This is a GREAT program. I picked up a Winchester-made Garand from the Camp Perry store in 2010 for $550...one of the best purchases I've ever made. Love that rifle.

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Been on my wishlist for a long time.

3. LandMonster

LandMonster New Member

Is this the best way to go about purchasing an m1?

4. SSCRS

SSCRS New Member

One of these days.......I really need to get one of them.

5. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Yes you can get yourself a nice garand for around $750 once its all said and done as opposed to your typical $1000 minimum for a beat up one at a gun show.

6. Commocarl

Commocarl New Member

I was really close to buying one. I read further that you should use old surplus ammo in it and not newer 30.06 due to different pressures. Is this correct?

7. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I'm just guessing That's a general liability recommendation. Some of the low number garands had overly hardened receivers and shouldn't be used at all. I could be wrong. It's the first I've heard of it.

8. SSCRS

SSCRS New Member

I've always herd that. Either way, swap over to an adjustable gas plug and you are good to go with any 30-06

9. Commocarl

Commocarl New Member

http://www.examiner.com/article/m-1-garand-tips-tricks-part-2-cleaning-lubrication-ammo-spare-parts

"Ammunition for the M-1 Garand

Don't buy "off the shelf" commercial .30-'06 loads without first making sure they are appropriate for a M-1 Garand.

The Garand was designed to use loads with bullets weighing from 150 to 180 grains and propellants with an “intermediate” burn rate. You need to use the correct type of powder, and to a lesser extent bullet weight, to maintain the proper gas port pressures. If the pressure curve isn't right, the rifle can be damaged. When in doubt, stick to US or Greek mil-surp ball loads. If you reload there is lots of Garand specific load data available."

Where do you get the adjustable gas plug from?

10. Commocarl

Commocarl New Member

http://www.jouster.com/forums/
    good resource for M1's I found. Like I said, I came really close to buying one.

http://www.jouster.com/

Lots of awesome stuff. He speculated on why there were so many problems with the M-16 when it was first issued. I won't spoil it.

11. W. C. Quantrill

W. C. Quantrill New Member

I made a score a couple years ago, I had stopped for lunch at a fast food joint in Great Bend, Kansas, and was standing at the back of a long line when a nice young man began a visit,,,,we chatted a bit and he said mister do you like guns,,,yes,,,he says, would you like to buy one? Hes about 19 years old and very clean cut. I asked him what he had, and he said A GARAND. Wow!,,,,how much? He says $1000. I said at that price do you have any ammo? He said, some. We got our burrito and I said, I will follow you to your house, so we went. His mother was there, a very prim and proper Democrat, I might add, and she is supervising all this in her kitchen. I looked at the rifle, and it was very nice.

I asked again how much and he says ??900?? I frowned, and she says ??$800?? I said, I have $700 on me, she says he will take it. I said and the ammo, she says I want it all out of my house. I took the rifle out to my Yukon, and here he comes with 2 big cardboard boxes,,,,2000 rounds of ammo in en-bloc clips. Lord have Mercy, I have died and gone to Heaven. It is a Danish origin Garand, and has a new barrel...Shoots like a dream. I had begun the process to get a CMP rifle, but picked this one up with no papers and no tax. Score.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 4, 2012