Buying an AR this weekend

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Zombiegirl, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

Buying an AR this weekend before this lovely country of ours says we can't have one. We're thinking of getting a Smith & Wesson M&P Sport. Anyone have one or have suggestions? The store we're looking to go to has them for $609.99. They also have a DPMS Oracle for $597.99.

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

The m&p is a good entry level AR without all the bells and whistles. Works for the Leo's.

3. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

We almost bought it at a gun show this year but we left with a handgun and a shotgun. Any other entry levels that you recommend?

4. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Palmetto State Armory has some really good prices on their website right now.

5. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

We're looking to pick one up at a store so we can hold it and see how it feels. We're in NW Indiana and were looking to go to a store in Goshen because we bought a few things from them at a gun show and liked them a lot.

6. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

ZombieGirl, way to go! but i caution you here on this. you need to plan on his and her's AR's, cause they are a lot of fun to shoot!

i think that the S & W might be a little better quality rifle, but if just informal range shooting, the DPMS would be okay too.

7. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

We're pretty good at sharing. Plus, I get what I want so I'll just take it from him. Haha :)

8. readygirl

readygirl New Member

I have (2) Armalite M15-A4s in .223, i think i paid about $900 each for them a few yrs ago. If you dont have your heart set on a S/W, give them a look. I have been very happy with mine.

9. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

The one we're looking at will shoot 556 and 223. We liked the versatility.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  10. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

...and remember, the AR15 is called "the Barbie dream house for guys" for good reason.

Whatever you spend on the rifle, budget at least that much per year for accessories... ;)

Personally, I don't go for the "hang 4 lbs of crap you'll never use" on your AR train of thought but 1 upgrade I would recommend 100% is to replace the trigger group with a drop in single stage unit.

I've got over 10k rounds through my Chip McCormic trigger. It breaks like a glass rod at 3 lbs and just keeps on ticking!

Congrats ZG, I'm sure you'll enjoy it

Tack

11. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

I have a S&W 15. Mine isn't the sport. I love it. After about 2,000 rounds still have not had a problem. Other than 1 but it's a long story. Let's just say I did have a need for a fwd assist. After that I will never buy one without it.

12. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

Is it easy to do that upgrade on our own?

13. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

You'd better hurry, they're going fast. Any of the S&Ws I wanted locally are now on back order (I was told 6 to 10 weeks). Same with the Stags, Colts, Bushmasters and a few others I was interested in. The expensive ones seem to be somewhat easier to find.
    I ended up buying a Rock River Arms Operator 2 today.

Midway, CTD and others are out of the cheap ammo to feed them too. Thankfully they have bullets & Brass.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  14. JonM

JonM Moderator

skip the dpms. my wife has one ive spent at least another 300$ to make it reliable. the SW M&P is a much better gun.

i ended up getting my wife a second ar15

[​IMG]

she simply loves it. she shot her dpms a few times didnt care for it but she adores her new bcm. she wants an acog now after shooting mine *sigh*

here is mine with surefire fa762k suppressor and acog

[​IMG]

15. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Yes...you can mail order the trigger group. The old unit removes pretty easily by removing the through pins and the Chip McCormic is a drop in 1 piece unit...no fuss, no muss, but instant trigger improvement that makes a huge difference for off hand shooting...

There are several other makers and I've heard good reports about the Gisselle trigger but I don't know if it's a simple 1 piece install like the CM.

Good Luck

Tack

16. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

Loving the info!!

17. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

What about a scope for a AR? Any recommendations?

18. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

Love the supppressor!

19. Quentin

Quentin New Member

DPMS Oracle and S&W M&P-15 Sport within $12? Don't even bother looking at the DPMS, S&W all the way! I don't know how S&W does it for that price. Now PSA does have some advantages but since you want to buy local I bet you'll be happy with the Sport.

20. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

What advantages?