Buying ammo online and shipping

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by flw, Jun 14, 2012.

1. flw

flw New Member

I was looking at getting ammo online at cheaperthandirt.com

As a sample, I put a single box of cheap ammo of fifty 40 S&W rounds in my shopping cart. I put in my zip code (Northern Il.) and the shipping fee was approx $16 plus the price of a single box of ammo (50 rounds).

Its not clear, why anyone would buy ammo online with shipping rates that cost as much as the product. My question- is this the way they all operate? Do I need to buy 10 boxes to get a decent per round cost?

Thanks flw

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

If you're just gonna buy one box, why not just go to your lgs or Walmart?

3. okdonk

okdonk New Member

U need to compare prices between online retailers. There are reputable retailers like cheaperthandirt, sgammo, luckygunner, sportsmansguide, palmettostatearmory and aimsurplus. Each retailer has its own price or shipping fee. They don't force you to buy, we just have to be smarter by knowing how much the average good price of the ammo. If im buying ammo, i always bulk, at least 3-500 rounds. I have good experiences with PSA, luckygunner, sportsmansguide and luckygunner. I always find out how much my net price per round first (Ammo cost + shipping fee). Some online retailers have free shipping special, PSA have everything free shipping last week, maybe still on now.
    Be smart, spend your hard well earned money.

4. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

many times where the savings come in is when you buy in bulk amounts. the more you buy, the greater the price break is per round nad the shipping is usually the same as if you bought one box of ammo.

i buy some loaded ammo through MidwayUSA, when i order other firearms related items and i already know i will be paying shipping anyways.

5. gatorwest

gatorwest New Member

I just keep going to Bass Pro Shops or Dick's. I really don't like supporting Walmart much.

6. beaglesam

beaglesam Active Member

Check out Cabela's once a week you will occasionally find a good sale on ammo and free shipping or $5 shipping. What I don't understand is I tried to order a case (1,000) of CCI primers one time and they wanted to charge me $20 for hazardous material fee, but they don't for ammo.

7. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

loaded ammo is not considered Haz-Mat. primmers and powders are and the shipping companies charge the shipper, os the shipper tacks on the Haz_mat fee to recoup their costs. this is why, it's better to buy powder and primers locally to avoid the HazMat fees. now if you only bought them once a year and ordered a large amount at a good price break, then you could offset the HazMat fees.

8. BallisticSurgeon

BallisticSurgeon New Member

I just ordered 500 rounds of 7.62 x 39, a tactical vest, and 75 rounds of 410 from cheaper than dirt and my shipping was right at $20 and it will be here in 3 days.

9. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

When you buy ammo, whether one cartridge or 1,000, UPS rears its head. There is a minimum shipping cost. Just sent 20 rounds of collector's ammo to a gent in Idaho. Package weighed 1.5 lbs, going UPS ground. $11.70

As he said up there, loaded ammo is not HAZMAT until you get over 66 lbs- it does not mass detonate. Primers by themselves CAN mass detonate.

10. LikeABoss

LikeABoss Member Lifetime Supporter

My last order for 1700 rounds from Able's was $77 or $2.25 more a box. My last order from Ammo to go was 1250 rounds for $41 or about $1.66 more per box. My last order from cheaper than dirt was for 50 boxes of ammo, $75 or about $1.50 more per box, all still cheaper than i could have purchased locally. Plus they bring it to my door!

Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  11. rsfrid

rsfrid New Member

Brownell's is 12.95 flat rate shipping - no matter how much. I routinely buy 1000 rounds and package weighs 38 pounds. Still 12.95.

12. W. C. Quantrill

W. C. Quantrill New Member

I do not purchase ammo locally, I only order it online. I use Ammoman because their prices are very competitive, their posted price includes delivery, and there is no tax. When freight and tax are added on, they are not bargains anymore.

Ammoman had a sale on .223 last winter, and I ordered 5000 rounds--5 cases--it was delivered on my step at about $.22 per round, less than I could have reloaded it. Delivery and tax will take the bargain out of a lot of sale items. I do not purchase anything from Cabelas anymore, unless I am in a store and can avoid shipping. Being as they have a store in this state, now, they tack on the tax at the local store rate which is higher than the rest of the state, and I just dont see the need to support their local economy.

I am a Brownells dealer, and get their discount, but even with that, they are more expensive than other online sources. I do order a lot of parts from them though because their customer support is primo.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2012
  13. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

I buy online but I buy bulk because of the shipping costs. Putting that aside several of these online suppliers are quick and dependable. Some shipping costs are cheaper than others. One would have to shop around.

14. W. C. Quantrill

http://www.ammoman.com/

Check these guys out, there is no shipping charge. The listed price is the price delivered to your door.

They will even split an order for you. We just bought 5000 rounds and they split it for me, sending half to me and half to my shooting bud in South Carolina. I use these guys all the time because of no shipping and no tax.

They have a special on .30-06 right now, delivered to your door at $.625 per round. Also .223 62 gr HP set on your doorstep for 27c per shot at the 1000 rate.

I like the way that all of their prices includes shipping and no tax. It comes in a brown box with a return address "FROM ERIC". I like that too.

15. firedawg60

firedawg60 New Member

16. LikeABoss

LikeABoss Member Lifetime Supporter

Good Good Good! Between Brownell's and Ammoman, I dropped by order and awaiting delivery and cheaper than where I was purchasing before!

17. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

A buddy of mine and I will combine our orders of powder, primers and ammo and divide it out when it gets here. Way, way cheaper than gun shows and ten times cheaper than LGS.

If you aren't going to buy enough to maximize your dollar then get together with some local buds.

18. sailor353

sailor353 New Member

I bought 250 rnds of Rio, 20 ga, .00, 2 3/4 at Ammunitionstore .com last month for $125 + $14 shipping. I usually use Ammoseek tofind the cheapest prices then go to the site and make an order to find out what the shipping will be. I f I think the shipping is too high I just don't submit the order. That way you can eventually find the true lowest price for the ammo you want. What one poster said about Cabella's free and $5 shipping is true too. I picked up a 1000 rnds of Herter 7.62 at a great price and free shipping about 6 mos ago. The only bad thing is that since I'm in Tx and Cabella's is in Tx too I had to pay the sales tax. The same thing anytime I buy anything from CTD.

19. W. C. Quantrill

Same here, and since they put Cabelas on a private freeway exit, then the city tacked on an extra percent of sales tax on them to pay for that exit. So if you order from Cabelas in Kansas, you get to pay the Wichita rate plus the bump up, and it comes to 9.5% tax. There are better options.

20. beaglesam

beaglesam Active Member

I order from Cabela's quite often and have never paid sales tax. I live in Ohio, and didn't realize that there was sales tax when ordering online. I also always wait to get free shipping, which they periodically have. They had free shipping just before fathers day on orders over $99. I had 1,000 .45 acp bullets delivered at no charge.