Buying a pistol for my 21st birthday.

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Trevor73, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Trevor73

Trevor73 New Member

I want to buy a pistol on my 21st birthday but I will still have the under 21 vertical drivers license, will this be an issue?

2. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member

it shouldn't because it goes by your birthdate. but it might depend on the gun shop as well. I have seen gun shops refuse a sale because the address on the license didn't match the one on the 4473 form. I have seen them refuse a sale for different reasons that seemed inconsequential. the gun shop can refuse any sale if they don't feel comfortable with it.

3. Trevor73

Trevor73 New Member

I guess I will just have to try and see, I just don't want to wait haha

4. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Welcome to the forum!

The first one is great (no matter what it is).

I will suggest training with a certified instructor.

As you go through the forum and read the threads, you will notice that there are sections for different topics.

5. Artbrownsr

Artbrownsr Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

What Dallas said!!! they DO NOT have to have a "valid" reason. But in general the bithdate has to show that you are 21 as it would if you were to sit at a bar that only serves 21 year olds AND that the ID is not expired.

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Trevor- I moved your post over to handguns.

Remember you will need TWO pieces of ID, both showing your current address. One must be a govt issued photo ID. That is usually a driver's license. The other can be a hunting license, car registration, voter registration card (you ARE registered to vote, yes?) etc.

7. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Two valid forms of ID. If your license isn't expired and has your date of birth in it that should still validate age.

My 21st birthday handgun was an Italian Beretta 92FS. But that was over 21 years ago. Dang, I'm feeling old.

8. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

My 1st handgun was almost 60 years ago. Back then all you needed was money. Things have changed and not for the better.

9. Allenvdb

Allenvdb New Member

I just purchased my first handgun a Beretta 92A1. I am at college right now and it is sitting at my local gun shop waiting for me to get home. I can't wait to bring it home. Welcome to the forum, there are a lot of knowledgeable people on here so don't be afraid to ask for help.

10. mahall

mahall New Member

Lots a luck on your first purchase. One of the happiest days of my life was my first gun purchase. Don't know if that's sad to most? But it's my story. Mine was a Taurus 38p. Never could shoot it worth a flip? Learn from my experience, take your time and purchase a gun that's has a good reputation for reliability and you are comfortable with. And you have waited this long, if you need to put together a little more coin for something you really want. I suggest you do it. I suggest you start looking at compact 9mm's and go from there. Good luck.

11. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Not quite. Most places required that you be tall enough to lay the money on the counter.....

:p