buying a new pistol help

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by moos420, Jan 29, 2010.

1. moos420

moos420 New Member

i am new to the pistol wolrd and am looking at buying. i have norrowed down my search to four guns that i like and feel nice im my hand. i was just wanting some opinion on these firearms( problems jams or just dislikes). also on .40 vs .45. i will prob start with 9mm and then buy a 40/45(so direct the commet more to the 9mm gun right now, but would love info on all of these gun) am open to suggestion but these felt nice to me.

glock : 22, 17, 21
    beretta: 90-two
    walther: p99
    hk: p30l, 45

thank you for your time and opinions
    moos420

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

If you want to start with 9mm, take a look at the CZ 75B and the other 9mm CZ's. Some are steel and some are polymer. There's a nice variety to choose from.

Good luck on your quest. :cool:

3. Missileman

Missileman New Member

Quite a difference between the guns you've listed. Glocks all striker fired, polymer framed--Beretta all metal, hammer fired, others in-between. I personally don't like the feel of the Glock grip, but that's an individual thing as many swear by them. My favorite 9mm is an HK USP Compact--I like the manual safety/decocker combination and it's extremely accurate. The 92FS is a close second--much larger but easy to shoot, accurate, and reliable. Plus if you get a Beretta 92FS (not a Taurus PT92) you can shoot it in national match service pistol events if you'd like to. But try and few and see what you like best. Good luck.

4. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

++++++11111 on that! Love my CZ 75B

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:cool:

5. jimbobpissypants

jimbobpissypants New Member

A price range would help narrow suggestions.
    In general, you will get what you pay for in new guns. I have never been afraid to buy used guns from quality manufacturers. I personally think the list of quality manufacturers is longer than the list of poor manufacturers. You will get a vast array of opinions on quality/poor mans. I have peronal experience with Ruger, Smith, Colt, Sig, Browning on the quality side. On the poor side, I stay away from Taurus, Raven, from personal experience. I suggest buying reliability over bells and whistles for a first gun.
    I am currently considering buying either a Springfield, or Cz. I don't have experience with these, but have heard very good things about both.
    The 9mm is a time proven, old stand-by. In my opinion, the 45 is a true meat-eater. The only advantage I see in the 40 is capacity. If I compare my Sig220 (8 rds of 45) to my sig 229 (13 rds of 40), the difference is clear. The 220 is actually a larger gun also.

6. Mr. Bluesky

Mr. Bluesky New Member

You may want to check out the Springfield XDm and the S&W M&P, for polymer frames, and the Browning Hi-Power for all-steel.

7. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

glock : 22, 17, 21- If you like the fit and finish of a Glock, it's a fine gun. Rugged and dependable.
    beretta: 90-two- CZ 75 or BHP over this steel 9mm, eight days a week.
    walther: p99- This one has quite a few fans, but I'm not acquainted with it.
    hk: p30l, 45- Cool guns for sure...but cost is 80% more than other tupperware.

Most poly guns in the $400-600 range will serve you exceptionally well. XD, Glock, M&P, FNP, Ruger, CZ...whatever really. It's just a matter of what you like. The Beretta 92fs has a solid enough rep, but I think there are much better alternatives when it comes to a steel 9mm.

8. canebrake

canebrake New Member

9. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

$695 is half the price of what, exactly?

Just curious- What do you think of the "FM" versions? Saw a hard chromer locally for about $400....

10. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

9mm should be your only consideration. Inexpensive to shoot comparitively, ammo is widely available.

G17, USP 9, XD 9, even a steyr M9 if you can find one. All but the USP are 4-450 used, and the HK is 550-600 used(budgunshop.com)(however, i may get in trouble for mentioning another web-site. eh, ineffable?)

a 9 will do it just the same as a 45

11. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Just about any Kimber.

I find the FM Detective intriguing. A compact BHP pistol with a lot of good features.

My BHP is a 1989 Belgium/Portugal model and the only one I have any real experience with. Yes, I do like it, but what's not to like. (Trigger job and mag safety removed.)

Other than the collectible value being a tad lower on the Argentine models made by, FM (Fabrica Militar de Armas Portatiles Domingo Matheu) the Southern hemisphere pistols will serve you well.

12. link808ninja

link808ninja New Member

9mm is the baby brother of the .45, But while they both get the job done right, .45 is a MANS BULLET. LOL JK anyway, what is the purpose of purchasing said firearm? Is it recreational? Professional? Cause if its Professional (I.E: law enforcement/military) the you wanna find something as versatile as possible... I personally used the Walther P99 when I cant use my USP.45... If I could get those 2 to reproduce I would use that resulting gun... LOL Good luck. Oh BTW, I know many of my police friends will swear by then Glock 17 and Ive got SF friends that swear by the FN FiveseveN... both sides use their pistols to save and take life on a regular basis... they gotta be doing something right. Right?

13. boatme98

boatme98 New Member

I think one of the most overlooked series of handguns is the FNP series.
    9-40-45 take your pick at a very good price.