buying a new handgun. suggestions?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by jeepdude90, Sep 11, 2011.

1. jeepdude90

jeepdude90 New Member

im looking to buy my first handgun. ive shot my dads .32 a lot. that gun is a lot of fun. im probably going to carry too. i like the 1911. any suggestions?

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

We answer this question a LOT.

First answer- find a range that rents handguns for use on that range- try as many as you can.

Second answer- first handgun- a GOOD .22 auto- Ruger or Browning. You will shoot a LOT more, and the habits and skills picked up with the .22 will apply to larger handguns.

Third answer- first CARRY handgun= S&W Model 60 or it's equivalent. Compact, relatively light, simplicity of use of a double action revolver. There are also fans of small .32/ .380 autos.

1911? GREAT gun. But may not be the BEST gun for a beginner. Your mileage may vary. Void where prohibited or taxed. Sic transit gloria mundi.

3. jeepdude90

jeepdude90 New Member

yea after i posted this i looked around on the forum and saw many threads just like mine haha.

4. Firearm007

Firearm007 New Member

Sure i can suggest the Sig p238 1911 style .380 pistol fits in your pocket:)

5. trip286

trip286 New Member

I'm sorry this is off topic, but what does this mean? I'm curious

6. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Do a search on different sites This subject has been cover hudreds of times.. Or buy a 38 revolver or A 9mm xd, m&p or glock mid sized in 9mm and learn to shoot it very well. If your a young shooter the 45 and 40 can get expensive to shoot + there ain't many low cost 1911 worthy of carry'n. If you want a light weight 1911 they all get kinda pricey too. Also look at bersa for good pistols at good prices also. Bottom line is, You have to make a choice not use. Talk to your dad about the right handgun for you.

7. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

So which would you prefer auto or a wheel gun ?

8. Glockpotion23

Glockpotion23 New Member

I would start off with a 9mm. Since your talking about carrying, a 9mm would be a nice start. You want to make sure its reliable if your carrying. The first thing is get a lot of knowledge about firearms including the one you want to invest in. My second handgun was a Glock 23. I studied that gun nearly 9 months before in my heart told me to get it. I didnt do that with my first one and it showed:eek:

9. canebrake

canebrake New Member

"Gloria threw up on the bus Monday."

Actually it's a Latin phrase meaning "so passes the glory of the world."

It's Templar-Masonic in origin.

10. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

well stated

11. nccinstaller

nccinstaller New Member

If you have any friends into shooting def get out there and shoot a bunch of guns. Its hard to really find the one for you without a little range time. But if i had to suggest 9mm is a good starting calibur ammo isnt terribly expensive way cheaper than 45 or 40. And it gives you a chance to learn the fundamentals

12. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

#1 Take a class.

#2 Try out lots of guns.

#3 Buy two guns: one .22 and one... well just about anything else you want.