Firearms Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! Now that inventory is starting to return to normal again, had another newbie question. Is it safe buying a gun that’s on consignment from a local gun shop? My local shop posts their new inventory daily on Facebook and I see some decent deals on there. Do they check it out and clean it first? I figured maybe it was like buying a car from a dealership but figured I would inquire here if this was frowned upon.

·
Premium Member
4,962 Posts
Hey guys! Now that inventory is starting to return to normal again, had another newbie question. Is it safe buying a gun that’s on consignment from a local gun shop? My local shop posts their new inventory daily on Facebook and I see some decent deals on there. Do they check it out and clean it first? I figured maybe it was like buying a car from a dealership but figured I would inquire here if this was frowned upon.
You would need to just go and look at the gun you are interested in. Check it out or clean it? We can't tell you the answer there. Go ask your dealer face to face and look at the gun itself while there. Just looking at it may well answer your questions.

·
Premium Member
14,627 Posts
HotGunz Stolen Gun Search
Most consignment guns are as they came in and as is. The shop makes 15-20% and don't guarantee anything. They usually have an asking price and a minimum. You can negotiate.

·
Registered
7,905 Posts
Most shops I’ve been to that take consignment guns put them in the display “as-is”. If the owner wants to sell it, it is on them to clean it and make it more presentable to get a better price.

Also, the shops I’ve use to put my own firearms on consignment through, have run checks to see if they are listed as stolen before they put them out. But, best to inquire.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
HotGunz Stolen Gun Search
Most consignment guns are as they came in and as is. The shop makes 15-20% and don't guarantee anything. They usually have an asking price and a minimum. You can negotiate.
Thank you. I realize you get a good idea from inspecting it yourself. But I was wondering if it was kinda like buying a car with 150,000 miles on it know what I mean? Even if everything looks ok , if it was used alot , does this mean certain parts might be close to failing but u don’t know until it happens. I saw a Remington 870 going for 350 so it caught my attention :)

As I said I’m a newbie and was just trying to educate myself on the consignment end…

·
Administrator
666 Posts
But I was wondering if it was kinda like buying a car with 150,000 miles on it
Buying a used gun is like buying a used car, but you don’t know if the car has been driven 1,000 easy miles or 150,000 hard miles.

I was very fortunate with my first handgun, a used Beretta PX4 Storm. It was in great shape, but there was no way I could have known that. That was about eight years and five handgun purchases ago.

·
Premium Member
2,089 Posts
Thank you. I realize you get a good idea from inspecting it yourself. But I was wondering if it was kinda like buying a car with 150,000 miles on it know what I mean? Even if everything looks ok , if it was used alot , does this mean certain parts might be close to failing but u don’t know until it happens. I saw a Remington 870 going for 350 so it caught my attention :)

As I said I’m a newbie and was just trying to educate myself on the consignment end…
I want to say that FFLs have to run a check on all used firearms, just like a pawn shop. But im sure if you ask the FFL, they would tell you.
Look at a used gun just like a used car. Start from the outside. If it looks good, chances are better that is was taken care of. Same with the interior.
Look for obvious signs of wear. The bolt face, action, muzzle. Always take a bore light or pen light. Does the barrel have any visable pitting or other abnormalities? Is the rifling clear and sharp?
Ask questions. Dont be shy. Have you (the FFL) inspected this firearm? Have you test fired it? Have you done any work to it? Are you aware of any work that needs to be done?
Any shop that wont let you inspect a firearm, or gets snarky with your very polite and legitimate questions, just walk away.

·
Registered
7,905 Posts
The general tendency is that most guns get bought and shot very little. Some may even get carried a lot more than they get shot.

When a gun is heavily used, it begins sto become pretty apparent. More so with carry guns than range toys though. Carry guns will display holster wear patterns.

My Glock 17 was made in the early 1990s. It was a police trade in. It had shiny spots all along the left side where it had the most holster contact. I refinished it with a spray and baked finish. I also carried it and used it a lot in practical shooting competitions and a lot of practice. Round count is over 20K rounds since I have owned it. It is getting close to needing another refinish, as the shine is coming back where it gets handled and holstered. But it still runs like a champ. It’s had every spring replaced at least twice since I’ve owned it.

Brown Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel

1 - 10 of 10 Posts