Buying a firearm out of state

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by jeffkaiser1989, Nov 23, 2013.

1. jeffkaiser1989

jeffkaiser1989 New Member

So im looking at the High Standard 1911 and there is nobody around here that sells them. Im in ohio and the closest place i can find is Buds Gun Shop down in lexington KY. What is the process of buying a firearm out of state and if i was to travel to KY could i bring the gun back home to ohio with me or would i have to have it shipped to an FFL?

2. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

You would be better off buying the gun from Buds and having it shipped to a FFL holder near you. I have bought several guns from Buds and never had a problem. My FFL only charges $20.

3. wittmeba

wittmeba New Member

I'd suggest calling Bud's first and see what they tell you. Here is the link. I don't find an email in their contact us link but perhaps if you have an account and log into the account they will have one.

I'm sure if they can help sell their product they will.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/login.php

4. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

You can only purchase pistols in your state of residence.
    Buy online and have it shipped to a local dealer. Try this http://www.gunwatcher.com/

5. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

When you have a gun shipped to an FFL if it is not in new condition you can refuse the gun, it won't cost you a penny. Once you do the paperwork and pay the FFL fee it's yours. If something seems awry send the gun back, don't think "oh, I can fix it."

6. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

It's a piece of cake. I live on the border with Illinois and have bought several guns from a LGS across the river. There's a gunsmith down the road from my office that they ship it to. I pay in Illinois and fill out the paperwork in Iowa.

7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

As the guys have said- it is ILLEGAL to acquire a handgun in a state that is NOT your state of residence (unless you have an 03 C&R FFL, and are getting a C&R handgun). Federal law 18 USC 922.

You can buy one and have shipped TO a dealer in your home state who would do the transfer to you.

8. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

The guys are correct! You will have to find an FFL Dealer in Ohio that will do a transfer for you. It is illegal to purchase pistols and revolvers from another state. The dealer will need to send a copy of his FFL to the business in KY and the business in KY will need to send him a copy. It is not a major problem, it just requires a little more effort once your dealer in Ohio agrees to do the transfer for you. They usually charge around $35.00 for a transfer if they are not a pirate. If the Ohio dealer is a pirate and tries to railroad you on the cost of the transfer I would not do any business with them. They have everything to gain by helping you! Your purchase of ammo, accessories and etc. So make contact with your dealer and then call the KY dealer and advise them you want to buy the pistol and have an Ohio dealer who will do the transfer for you. They both can fax a copy of their FFL to each other so no delay for having to mail it snail mail. They know the program!
    Good luck and send us some pictures and a range report when you get your new pistol!

9. jeffkaiser1989

believe me once tax time rolls around this will probably be the gun i get! also thanks for the input guys!

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
  10. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

What can make the trip worth it is handling and dryfiring the gun at the store, before deciding to pay for it. At a place like Bud's you will likely see many other models and compare hands on. If you 100% sure what you want - have it shipped and transferred locally.

11. jeffkaiser1989

great advice a friend of mine owns one and has let me shoot it before. i loved it all ill need to get is a 20lb recoil spring and ill be all set.

12. wittmeba

wittmeba New Member

I too would suggest working with a local FFL. Find a shop that you want to develop a relationship with and talk to them about this and future business. I personally have not found that many want to do much more than offer their "every day" business practices and pricing but you may get lucky and find one that wants to work with you. Most I've discussed this with seem to feel their prices are very competitive and won't do much more. But I would try to leverage this transaction in your favor.

Just be honest (your tagline) and don't try to circumvent the process. It will bite you in the behind and you will be kicking yourself in the same place forever.

Hope everything works out well for you!

13. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

What gets my goat about our LGS is they all want more than MSRP for the guns they carry. When you mention MSRP they claim they can't buy the guns at MSRP. They also say that online vendors can sell cheaper because they don't have the overhead of a brick and mortar shop, but that is not true. Virtually all online vendors have a brick and mortar shop plus extra employees to answer questions from online customers. Plus they have to have someone boxing up all the online orders. So the online vendor actually has more overhead than the LGS in a tiny shop with one employee. The LGS claims they have better service. Yet in the event something goes wrong they tell you to call the factory. They act like getting a box is a huge task.

14. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

John there is no selling above MSRP except in the Times of Trouble, or on temporarily hot items. A gun dealer like a car dealer will discount the inventory he has already paid for, rather than anything special ordered. In so many words its BS and I hope there are competing shops in your area.

15. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

please show us these prices that are over MSRP at your LGS. i'd like to see some proof that they are selling over MSRP and how they are staying in business.

my LGS sells way under MSRP and i seriously doubt he's giving guns away and i am pretty sure he gets his guns from the same distributors as every other gun dealer does.

more that once you have mentioned this and that's why you buy from online dealers instead of at your LGS. i have posted prices of guns at Bud's and other online dealers on guns my LGS carries vs. the price difference. i can still buy cheaper at my LGS than online when i factor in the shipping, FFL fees and tax.

we'd like to see some proof of your statements.

16. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

[ame]http://youtu.be/C6cxNR9ML8k[/ame]

17. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

The Hi-Standard is supposed to be close in feel to the Early 1911's....hope your getting a good deal!

18. Secureops

Secureops New Member

Any Transfers For Suffolk County, New York, can be sent to Secure Operations @ www.LiGunSource.com NYS Pistol & Long Gun Dealer.

19. FFL01user

FFL01user New Member

Your first post being a plug for yourself is one thing (I don't really care)... But charging your customers a fee for the NICS check on top of your transfer fee(s) is a slap in the face to your (potential) customers. Not a good way (in my opinion) to present your fees to customers in NY.

20. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Lmfao........
    Nicer than I would have put it.