Buying a 2nd handgun?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by MyRawTalent, Oct 28, 2012.

1. MyRawTalent

MyRawTalent New Member

I have a SA right now but I want to pick up a revolver. What are some good recommendations?. My chl instructor told me the Taurus .357 magnum with a 3 inch barrel was a sweet gun. What do you think.?

2. Gh0zt36

Gh0zt36 Active Member

if you look hard enough you can probly find a ruger gp100 for the same price and much better gun

3. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Friends Don't Let Friends Buy TAURUS!

I loved and swore by Taurus 20 years ago and was a fan until the past few years. Their quality in revolvers is AWFUL today. Has been sinec they started the "launch of the month club" for new guns. Their own service department told me all their effort goes into semi-autos.

My latest, a new, and then factory authorized repaired out of the box for two or three failures (they couldn't be sure), Taurus revolver could have gotten me and my girlfriend killed in a certain circumstance. Just don't do it. No matter how tempted.

4. AsSeenOnTV

AsSeenOnTV New Member

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  5. AsSeenOnTV

AsSeenOnTV New Member

6. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Get a Ruger SP101 in 357. Comes in 2",3" and 4". Taurus is a crap shoot. You can get a good one or a bad one. I am running 50% on 4 and wont take a chance on another. Look at Charter Arms if you need a lower price. They are American made and have a lifetime warranty and good customer service. They changed hands some time ago and their quality has come up.

7. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Ruger or smith, imho. Nuff said.

8. KahrCarryingInfidel

KahrCarryingInfidel New Member

You'd be better off renting a few Ruger and Smith wheelguns before purchasing one. See what works best for you, then purchase it.

9. shadecorp

shadecorp Active Member Supporter

I likes my Rugers.

"You'd be better off renting a few Ruger and Smith wheelguns before purchasing one. See what works best for you, then purchase it."

Yep.

10. orangello

orangello New Member

Agreed! I paid $400 for my GP100 "NIB" with a bit of shop wear (sliiiiight ring) and love shooting it (6" barrel).

11. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

S&W or Ruger .357. 4 inch barrel, or even better 6 inch. Load it with Federal 125 GR JHP ammo. If you can find a good used Ruger Security Six, it will serve you for several lifetimes, and can be had usually for under $400. May need a $50 trigger vjob to be as smooth as a S&W, but it's still a bargain.

Of course, if money is no concern, a S&W 686 is the ultimate in today's production.

12. mdauben

mdauben New Member

I have no first hand experience with Taurus revolvers but there is a lot of Internet buzz about their poor QC.

Personally I would look at either Ruger or S&W. the Ruger GP100 or S&W 686 (w/4 or 6 inch barrels) are great guns for HD or open carry. If you are more interested in CC you might look at the Ruger SP101 or S&W 60 (both available w/3inch barrels). Personally I would avoid alloy or polymer frame guns in 357. I just think the 357 recoil is too much on such light guns. YMMV.

13. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Unless you're "nerve dead" an alloy frame model 60 with full power .357 will not be uncomfortable, it will HURT!

14. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

357 is the most flexible revolver caliber. Good choice.

I would stick with Rugers or S&Ws. If you want it for carry, then 3" or less is a good length. If you want it for more of a range gun, I would go with at least 4".

You may want to consider a .22 if you are not concerned about a protection gun. Everyone needs a .22, and it is by far the most economical way to shoot. Ruger has a couple very nice .22 revolvers. I have a Smith Model 17, but it is one of the more expensive .22 solutions out there.

15. SatoriNoir

SatoriNoir New Member

From personal experience with my alloy-framed Chiappa Rhino, full power .357 loads was not uncomfortable to shoot in this particular revolver. Shooting .38 specials has a similar recoil signature of a .22LR.

If you want a lightweight revolver to carry, but doesn't have the mule kick like other magnum revolvers, consider the Rhino in 4" or 6" barrel lengths.

16. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

I'd have to see that to believe it.

17. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

^ +1 The venerable S&W might not look modern-cool, but it's hard to beat the triggers. ... tick...bang

Single Action is even better!

18. SatoriNoir

SatoriNoir New Member

If you happen to be in Dallas, Texas, I'd be happy to offer you the chance to shoot it to believe it.

To me, .357 magnums out of the Rhino feels something like a 9mm +P.

19. AsSeenOnTV

AsSeenOnTV New Member

20. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

Single action mode on a Smith dbl action