Buying 31 handguns in two weeks

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by Vincine, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Vincine

Vincine New Member

And this is why the firearms purchase limits are being advocated.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...n-admits-buying-31-handguns-in-two-weeks?lite

A Manassas woman pleaded guilty to violating federal firearms laws after buying 31 handguns over a two-week span at three Virginia gun shows.

Kimberly Dinkins, 41, pleaded guilty Thursday in federal court in Alexandria to dealing firearms without a license. She faces up to five years in prison.

Court records show that Dinkins resold all of the guns for a profit.

Does anybody think these handguns are being bought by productive members of society?

2. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

With friends like her, who needs enemies?

3. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

She was convicted for dealing in firearms without an FFL, no mention if the legality of the sales. If they could prove she engaged in illegal straw purchases they would have charged her. Not saying that not what she did just pointing out she was not convicted or charged with it.

4. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

At the time of arrest she was likely facing several charges. The prosecutor likely arranged a plea deal to avoid the cost of a trial.

5. BigByrd47119

BigByrd47119 New Member

Let me just say...

That I see nothing wrong with what she did. There is no harm in and of itself by selling firearms at a profit. If she sold it to a BG, she should, and probably will, be held liable. But just because she didnt pay a fee to the feds? Come on guys...I thought we were pro-free market and pro-Second Amendment?

6. AR10

AR10 New Member

Buying and selling guns as a business, requires an FFL, right or wrong, that law is on the books. The fact she only got 5 years seems like a slim sentence. Had any of her sales led to lawless acts, I am sure she would have landed in more trouble.

Now, how about we follow the Fast & Furious episode in American politics, and give everyone connected 5 years in the slammer.

Seems like one law used on one US citizen, could us used squarely across the board. How many of those politicians had FFL's to distribute firearms? That is what, 2,000 firearms? If 30 gets you 5, what is 2,000 worth?

7. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Dont doubt that but dont you think if they had a straw dog to support the call for universal background checks they would let her plead to a lesser charge when a big show trial would serve their purpose.

8. tomgodd

tomgodd Active Member

Thumbs up!

9. BigByrd47119

BigByrd47119 New Member

Thanks Tom :)

10. opaww

opaww New Member

I don't see anything wrong with buying 31 guns in 2 weeks, but it most likely was the selling of them that got her. I know if I had the money to buy 31 handguns I would do it just for ****s and grins

11. tshoot91

tshoot91 New Member

I would add good investments to that list. ;)

12. Mack Bolan

Mack Bolan New Member

Well, she's not the ATF, the attorney general, or the president so she cant get away with it. Have they all ready recovered some of those handguns at murder scenes?
    not likely, especially not murder scenes of any border patrol agents....

I agree that because its written law she should have known better than to think she could get away with it. There is as good or better chance that those 31 buyers were panic driven collectors as opposed to all street criminals with mal intent.

13. orangello

orangello New Member

I wish i could find 31 good handguns and the money to buy them, but i ain't selling any of them. MINE!
    :D

14. 1911love

1911love New Member

I wouldn't buy more than one handgun in a five day period. If you buy more than one in a five day period you are red flagged by the ATF. What a great law that stops crime in its tracks!!!

15. Vincine

Vincine New Member

I think I have made a false assumption; which was that she re-sold them to people who had not had a NICS check. Perhaps this is wrong. If the buyers were clean, okay, she should have had the license. But if they weren’t; which is why I’m guessing they didn’t just buy the weapons from a dealer themselves, that’s another story.

16. BigByrd47119

BigByrd47119 New Member

I doubt there was a NICS check done...but I dont think that changes much. In Ohio you can private sell as long as the buyer is of legal age and you dont knowingly sell to a felon. Thats it, start and finish. If she knowingly sold to a felon, then she should suffer the consequences, but then again I guess I am actually taking exception with the regulation arent I?

17. gearhead396

gearhead396 New Member

I second that for sure

18. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I see nothing wrong with it either. But philosophically we're right. Legally, we're wrong.

We can't pick and choose which laws we obey, so we sometimes get screwed by those we deem wrong.

And as Martin Luther King said, if you violate the law, even if it's a bad law, be prepared to face the consequences.

19. BigByrd47119

BigByrd47119 New Member

No argument here.

I do detect a change in the forum though...in the past when I challanged current laws on their ethical, moral, or Constitutional grounds, I would often be shouted down. Seems that has changed fo the better though :)

20. orangello

orangello New Member

Seriously? I picked up two at one time when i bought my CZ75b. NICS went through OK, or so FFL said.