Buyer's remorse...

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by LONGHAIR, May 28, 2011.

1. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR New Member

My brother-in-law is looking at a Marlin 30/30 deer rifle...USED...I told him about a friend of mine,back in the early eighty's,that was hunting in a deer stand down the tree-line from me...He missed a 10 point buck...the gun he had was bought at a Pawn Shop...Come to find-out the guy who pawned-it,said he never went back to clam the gun because his buddie dropped it from a tree stand and it shot off to the left....He had a bad case of Buyer's Remorse...I said I'll never buy a used rifle...Handgun..Maybe...Rifle..Noway...Not after a 10 point buck got away because some fool dropped the gun from a deer stand...Just Saying....So now my brother-in-law is all freaked-out on my story...and said he want's a new gun...My sister said THANKS ALOT...More $$$...I say don't have ...BUYER's..REMORSE.....Get the NEW-GUN.....What do you Think???.....$200.00 used..VS..$349.00 NEW......????.................:confused::confused::confused:

2. Werminator

Werminator Member

One St. Louisan to another... I would likely have taken the risk too... 150 bucks is a lot of ammo or something... The fact the gun had been dropped reflects on shady salesmanship at the pawn shop...

3. 30-30remchester

30-30remchester New Member

I cant understand why he didnt sight the gun in prior to hunting. It isnt the guns fault it is the gunners fault. That is the reason sights have adjustments. I havent owned but a few new guns and have shot and owned MANY older guns that never gave any more trouble than any new gun.

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

i doubt the fall from a tree stand bent the barrel. knocked the scope or sights out of alignment highly liekly. rifle barrels are amazingly sturdy.

nothing wrong with used guns. it was your bud's fault for not sighting it in at the range. but of course it makes a super story to play off bad shooting :rolleyes:

5. Hawg

Hawg New Member

The older the better in my book. I scored a 30-30 Winchester top eject at the last gun show I went to. It's not purty but the price was better than right and it's coke can accurate at 75 yds.

6. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Make mine "used" any day of the week.

7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

In the past 10 years, I have bought a total of 2 NEW guns. As in New in the box. A Ruger MkIII, and a Savage 93. I have bought about 25 USED guns. (And there was this HORRIBLE boating accident....:rolleyes:)

There is nothing wrong with a good used gun- just bought a 1939 Fox Sterlingworth- Expect my great grandkids to still be shooting it.

Tell your BIL he should have taken the rifle up in a tree stand, and dropped it ON THE OTHER SIDE to straighten it up. :p

Of course, if he has buyer's remorse, tell him you would love to help him out, for about half what he paid for the USED, dropped rifle.....

8. hogrider

hogrider New Member

One of the best shooting guns I have I bought used. In fact most of mine are used guns. I too don't know why he didn't sight the gun in before going hunting in the first place. Seems that's what he should blame, not the gun. Just my opinion.

9. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR New Member

From what I remember...He said he shot at some beer cans close-range to sight the gun-in...Not good for a long-range kill....He was probably nursing a hang-over also...From what I remember he was alway's drinking at deer camp the night before..late night...Not the sharpest tool in the shed....But he was one of those people that had good-luck in seeing deer..or..What ever we were hunting...God nose why...Anyway...It just stuck-over all those years,after he missed that deer,that a used rifle could have been dropped by the other owner....So every time I'm in a Pawn Shop..and see guns for sale,I walk on by...I know,I'm a dummy...But that feeling just won't go away....I don't know if that feeling will ever change,deep-down in my gut....Even at Bass Pro,the used rifle rack,I just kind of wander on by with-out really looking very hard because of that feeling in my gut,about used rifles...But at the same time,something really old like those 22-pump rifles made in the 1800's are so cool,that I wouldn't give it a secound thought,about buying one of those....I no I'm messed-up...It's just that gut feeling thing,that I can't shake.....Maybe someday........:confused:

10. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

I mostly buy used guns and ive only had one broken one (a M1 G), but the guy traded me back as soon as I told him it was broke. Most of my guns have been through wars and are still great shooters.... Id give the used gun section a look next time.....

11. hogrider

hogrider New Member

You are really missing out on some very good buys. Some of those guns you pass up probably haven't even had 50 rounds in them. People just get in a bind sometimes and a rifle is the first to go. Or a guy gets divorce and the wife gets everything so she lets them go for nothing. You should re-think that a little and get some of these bargains. Now granted, not all are bargains and some you should stay completely away from but USUALLY you can tell the guns that have been abused.

12. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Sighted in at empty beer cans? :rolleyes:

I'm guessing your buddy emptied them then blamed his lack of skill and or buck fever on the rifle.

This does not sound like a guy I'd hunt with or take seriously regarding advice on firearms.:rolleyes:

Tack

13. purduecasey09

purduecasey09 New Member

most gun barrels can withstand thousands of of pounds of pressure from the fireing of a round. gun barrels can be bent if you try hard enough. i would say as well its highly unlikely the barrel was bent. in between me and my dad we have 91 guns. most of which are collectables. but we have bought guns at auctions, pawn shops, new and used alike i have never had a gun that needed more the a sight adjustment. some of the most prized and best guns we have were bought from pawn shops.

14. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

Not a very ethical hunter in my opinion. A hunter that goes into the woods to hunt an animal has the ethical responsibility to know his gear and to kill what he is hunting as quickly as possible. That means practicing at the ranges you expect to shoot an animal at and not picking up a gun once a year just because it is deer season.

15. Leathermarshmallow

Leathermarshmallow New Member

What kind of a hunter goes out without knowing what his rifle is capable of? He can blame it on the rifle, but I bet it was a case of "buck fever" that made him miss the ten point...or maybe he never even saw the ten point. But his lack of success could be covered by a story like this.

Oh yeah, I have purchased over 100 firearms over the years. Most have been used. I have NEVER had one that was unacceptable. Maybe some were not as accurate as I hoped, but not one could be blamed for my missing a "ten point". I inspect them thoroughly before I plunk down my cash.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
  16. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

IT is both of theirs fault.

It is the pawn shops fault because they sold a gun without having it checked out by a gunsmith. It is the buyers fault because he didn't take it to a gun smith to have it checked out first. ALso he would have known that it didn't shoot right if he would have taken it to the dagum range first and sighted it in or tried to sight it in.

You know the saying 'Ya can't fix stupid."

17. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Active Member

old stuff

I have had both good and not so great luck with used guns
    The first was a $90 Ithica singleshot 12gage longtom (good buy)
    $130 Remington rolling Block 45-70 carbine (original) had religned barrel the chamber was bad (not so great)
    $17 Carcano carbine (good buy) box of Norma shells was $28
    $10 Tomato stake barreld action (mosin 1891 finnish P-27) (good buy) after about $220 in scope parts and shipping this is a tack driver
    Free Savage 110 30-06 found in rubbish heap that'd cartwheeled down the trail in winter when sling tab broke (restocked and scoped) a Keeper also in tack driver catagory
    $40 box of rusty parts with another $60 in parts and shipping a winchester model 64 lever action 30-30 one the most accurate lever rifles I ever had.
    $200 replica remington rolling Block carbine (shortened rifle) that shot horribly with factory ctgs a tack driver useing reloaded pyrodex ctgs.(keeper)
    Hi-Point 995 9mm carbine found in trash (blown up from hot reloads) sent to Mfg for repairs out of pocket cost $14.73 returned in as new condition (keeper) also very fun to shoot and amazeingly accurate at 200yds!:eek:
    The pic is kids having fun with pawn shop guns the Marlin 110 and Jimneycricket .22 and the Hi-point

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
  18. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Active Member

Pawn shop guns

Pawn shop guns
    Remington 870 wingmaster (mfg1978)for $230
    Savage/Springfield Bolt action .22 for $45 at 30 yards on the bench stacks the bullets attop one another in a ragged nickel size hole.
    Pawn shop free! yes I got a centerfire rifle from pawn shop for free...let me say that again Free....I love that word...... granted it was a sporterized military rifle in a odd ass metric caliber it had a choped stock and a williams receiver sight and turned down bolt.a 1891 Argentine mauser (all matching sn#) mfg 1900

$180 Itialan carcano found it had been converted to 7.62x39comblok useing a Old enfield P-14 barrel

The $10 Finnish Mosin P-27 barreld action and what it looks like today.

Attached Files:

19. orangello

orangello New Member

If all of your guns are so shiney they look like they just came out of the box, you will look like a rookie. ;)

But seriously, i picked up a Mossberg 500A, very used, for $100 at a pawn shop on the way to dove hunt (it slipped my mind); that is my favorite firearm since 1995. There are a few handguns, an SKS, a couple of other shotguns, a couple of .22's, and whatnot in the safe, all loaded, but the Mossy is beside the bed RTG. I would bet my life on the Mossy.

20. Ltriker

Ltriker New Member

I have bought so many firearms at pawn shops, that I have lost count. I have bought new looking guns for dirt cheap and even found some ratty old gems that were hiding under a coat of rusty goodness. One have been so bad that I was unable to end up with something useful.