buy with CCW ID

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by goochguns, Dec 14, 2011.

1. goochguns

goochguns New Member

Can I purchase a pistol out of my home state with a CCW Id

2. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Do you mean in person or order & have shipped?

3. fmj

fmj Active Member

depends on state and only in person.

4. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

You may want to check federal laws on that.
    Purchasing a firearm in another state and bringing it across state lines. In some areas it is okay, some it is not.

5. DX1

DX1 New Member

My understanding is that federal law prohibits handgun purchases out of your home state UNLESS:

1. You have the gun shipped to a registered dealer in your home state and pick it up there;

2. You are truly a part-time resident of another state (live there for several months a year at a permanent residence you own or lease

6. DX1

DX1 New Member

Sorry, hit send before I was finished. In the latter case you can buy a handgun in the state where you live part time if you can prove you're not just visiting and you meet the requirements of that state.

7. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

My understanding of Federal Law is that ONLY Licensed FFL's can transfer handguns across State lines so while you can certainly purchase a handgun out of state, the dealer Can Not deliver it to you. You must provide him with an FFL located in your home state. Your home state FFL will then be required to perform the background check prior to handing over your purchase.

Many states such as WA have state law waiting periods for handgun purchases. Having a CCW in many of these state simply waives the waiting period and allows you to purchase and receive your handgun same day as long as you pass the "instant check".

Hope that helps.

TACK

8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

As the folks above me have said- NO.

You may only only acquire a handgun- either private sale or from a dealer- in your state of residence. Some folks DO have more than one "state of residence"- such as active duty military, snowbirds, etc.

This is Federal law, and applies to all states- covered in 18 US Code Section 922. There IS an exception for inheriting a firearm, and if you have an 03 C&R FFL, you may acquire a C&R handgun in any state.

9. docholliday29

docholliday29 New Member

i believe it's just as c3 stated. I went to Bass Pro Shops in FL and they told me that as GA resident I could only buy long guns and that it was federal law.

10. airline

airline New Member

You'd better check your lockal laws.

11. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

If you find a gun you like in a state other than your home state, and make arrangements with a dealer there and a dealer in your own state to have it properly shipped, are the dealers required to turn in notification to the BATFE documenting the deal, and thereby effectively registering your purchase?

12. gollygee

gollygee New Member

I don't think so. If that was happening, every on-line purchase would be registered. But, being very distrustful of THIS government & it's present ATF leadership, I wouldn't put them past doing anything illegal.

It's beginning to come out now that their 'Fast & Furious' gun walking scheme was NOT to identify how guns were getting to drug runners, etc. Was done to intentionally get those weapons out there, then tracked back to the U.S., in order to gain public support for increased gun control. Case in point, recent regs saying that dealers in the 4 states bordering mexico must report multiple sales of semi autos.

13. vincent

vincent New Member

I was under the impression that the paperwork (4473..(thx c3) form...I think...) stays with the dealer for a certain amount of time, (5-10 years) then destroyed. But, you still never know...

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  14. gollygee

gollygee New Member

I don't think they are destroyed. As far as I know, they are there for as long as the store is in business so the ATF has access to them. If the store goes out of business, they are sent to the state.

15. vincent

vincent New Member

I like the destroyed idea better! :D Can it be siezed by the ATF for whatever whim of a reason they want? How does that work?

16. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

OK, thanks. I've never bought that way, and am much opposed to having the feds come to my door with a list of guns they want to take from me.

17. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

When you buy a gun from a dealer, or have one shipped to your dealer, there is no way or reason for him to "register" this with the ATF. You complete a form 4473. That form is retained by the dealer in his file for 20 years. At the end of 20, the form may be destroyed by the dealer.

Have you guys ever looked at the number of guns sold each day on GunsAmerica, gunbroker, and auctionarms? Those are shipped from the seller to a receiving dealer in the home state of the buyer.

And Airline, local law does not cover this- it is governed by Federal law- 18 US Code 922.