buy the Girlfriend a handgun?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Rugers9, May 2, 2012.

1. Rugers9

Rugers9 New Member

I want to get her gun. What steps do I need to take to get one in her name without her knowing

2. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

First off, are you two on GOOD terms? Lol, I think on the form is a section for gifting the gun. The all knowing will be along shortly to clarify.

3. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

That would depend on what state you reside in as well.

4. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

I know one of the questions ask if the gun is for you.

5. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

Depends on your state of residence. Here in PA that is considered a straw purchase. You can only gift it to a spouse or immediate family member over the age of 21.

I would check your local state laws.

Not to mention, you should never buy a gun for someone else. They may not like it. it may be too big or small for them. It may not fit their hand well.

Best thing to do is take them to the shop and let them pick it out. Or buy a gift card to the place you plan to make the purchase.

6. Rugers9

Rugers9 New Member

We are on very good terms as in planning our wedding Here soon she does not know this but the guns going to have the engagement ring inside the gun case. But anyways I would like to get her this I I have noticed that it has this question are you buy this for another persons will this hinder my wanting to gift this to her. I reside in Arizona.

7. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

If you know she will like the pistol you could buy it from the dealer and then upon the "gifting" of the firearm, take it to the dealer you purchased it from and have her fill out the 4473 which would cover the transfer or as stated above just get her a gift card and print out a picture of the gun and have her go fill out the 4473.

8. JWagner

JWagner New Member

Since Arizona has no registration or record of transfer between private parties, all you have to do is buy the gun and gift it to her. The form you fill out at the gun shop (4473) is a Federal form only.

9. levelcross

levelcross New Member

Reading between the lies I mean lines LOL, it sounds like someone wants another gun.

If state and local laws allow it first, has she picked out a gun? If not then you are going to end up with one she didn't like. Just my .02

10. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Really no need - buy it & give it to her-
    BUT if you must---- buy it- Take it & her to you FFL & transfer--

11. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

The question asked on the form 4473 in 11 (a) is: Are you the actual purchaser of the firearm? If you read the instructions for question 11(a) on the back of the form, http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-4473-1.pdf- it tells you that if you are buying it for yourself- OR LEGITIMATELY BUYING IT AS A GIFT FOR A THIRD PARTY- it is not a Straw sale.

Translation. Bobby gives me the money to buy a gun for him. Straw sale.
    Bobby is my Best Man at the wedding, and I want to GIVE him a gun as a Groomsman's gift. Federal law (state law, yer own your own) says that you can do that, so long as Bobby and I reside in the same state, and I do not have cause to believe Bobby is prohibited from possessing a gun.

And neither Arizona nor the Federal government has any provision to "register" a gun in anybody's name. The dealer retains the form 4473 at their premises for 20 years.

12. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

As you said.. its different from state to state. I know for a fact that here in PA it is definitely a "no no".

Before I was married I wanted to purchase a handgun for my wife (girlfriend at the time). I wanted to surprise her. The gentleman at the LGS said i cannot legally GIVE her the gun. And if I brought her to the shop with me, I could not hand her the money to purchase it in their presence.

Funny thing is.. we both have a LTCF. She can take any one of MY pistols and carry it legally, but I cannot gift one to her.

13. therewolf

therewolf New Member

IMHO, the most important step you can take is BE SURE she

likes to shoot the pistol "you" are "selecting", or you are

wasting a lot of time and money.

14. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i too would make sure of that it's something that fits her hand and she will be able to operate and use. handguns are more personal than say rifles or shotguns. if trying to suprise her, then say take a day and go to different gunstores if needed and pretend at looking at different handguns for you, but that you are looking for something she could use too. let her gravitate to what pleases her. you might be suprised at what she likes. just act if though you are just looking around. then go back later and then buy it.

in the state of Texas, i can gift a firearm, as long as the person i gift it to could make the same purchase themselves. i have bought several as gifts for my wife and one for my father. both can llegally buy firearms themselves, so there isn't a problem with it being a straw purchase.

15. Polygon

Polygon New Member

I didn't even think that you could do that anywhere.

Anyhow, I wouldn't buy her the gun for a lot of the reasons listed. Instead I would get her a gift certificate somewhere to buy the gun herself. That way she can pick out what she wants.

16. trip286

trip286 New Member

I would buy a ring first. I haven't even read the thread, so I don't know if the legalities have been addressed by such wise men as c3 (i did see that he commented) but guns, cars, homes, pets, kids, major credit purchases...come AFTER the ring bro.

But, by all means, there's nothing wrong with pepper spray. I've been blasted and shot (thank god for kevlar), pepper spray scares me more.