Buttstock testing

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by lunarmanathome, Feb 5, 2012.

1. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

course the most expensive one won....go figure...what's that old adage? You get what you pay for.....hrm wait isn't the Ergo expensive? I so confused.

BTW thx fer sharing, good read.

2. Okie_fd

Okie_fd New Member

+1 good stuff

3. vmkeith

vmkeith New Member

The biggest complaint I've heard about some of the cheaper buttstocks has been the slop/movement of the stock on the buffer tube. An easy fix for that is to use some self adhesive velcro. Cut a 3/4" to 1" square piece of the fuzzy side of the velcro and stick it to the inside of the stock where it slides on the buffer tube. It tightens everything up and no more slop...at least that was my experience with a DPMS Pardus collapsible stock.

4. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Stock movement is a non issue but I will admit I prefer a more solid feel.

The UBR is great but dang is it heavy. Comfortable but heavy.

Thanks for posting. I caught a little of this early on but never saw the results.

5. lunarmanathome

lunarmanathome New Member

Vince - even my VLOTR has slop - hate it. My F93 though -already fired an email off to Falcon on it...we'll see what happens.

6. MrWray

MrWray New Member

So how do you like the UBR overall? Is it worth the money? Right now im using the MOE but ive been thinking about switching it out with the UBR

7. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I like them. What do you use your rifle for? If you're looking for minimal weight the UBR isn't for you.

8. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Right now, i just use it for target shooting. In about a month i will be training with it again

9. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

PM me a pic of you AR set up like it will be when you train.

10. MrWray

MrWray New Member

My phone wont let me PM attachments, but i will use it how i have it set up now. One of the segments of live fire will be iron sights only, so the Eotech will have to come off for it. Other than that,just how she sits

ForumRunner_20120206_084626.jpg

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

A more likely use test would have been what happens to the stock when its used as a club to buttstroke someone. Get a dummy dressed up and start wacking him.

Thats always been a weak point of the ar15 design. They dont hold up well as a club when the bullets run out.

Its not a terribly valid set of tests since there was no firing the rifle after stock failure. Did the stock failure allow the buffer tube to distort?? even if a stock breaks and collapses the more important issue is does the buffer tube still work??

Those tests are interesting but not relevent since there was subsequent test fire.

12. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I wouldn't put a UBR on it. Maybe wait for the FDE STR to be released.

I took the test as a test of the stock only and not so much as a test of how the weapon performed after having the stock thrashed on. I would be interested in a test of the later.

13. MrWray

MrWray New Member

I'll check them out