Buttstock or Not

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by starving030, Mar 4, 2013.

1. starving030

starving030 New Member

Why do some shot guns have a buttstock and some not? Is there a legal difference on who can own what, like overall length laws for rifles?

[​IMG]

or

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  2. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Shotgun barrel must be 18" and the overall length must be 26" or it's a short barreled shotgun that requires a tax stamp. No restriction on stock. A pistol grip is commonly used for CQB or when working in tight hallways.

3. hiwall

hiwall Active Member

Yes there is a minimum overall length. I think it is around 26". But someone smarter then me will tell you soon.

4. starving030

starving030 New Member

ok. So the same rules apply than with any rifle. I kinda thought that. It just seemed to be popular seeing them online more. Thanks.

5. gearhead396

gearhead396 New Member

Here in Texas if your not 21 you can not buy a shotgun with a pistol grip installed or if you get caught with I e and your not 21 and it has a pistol grip it's illegal over 21 it's fine

6. Sgt_Skrb_25

Sgt_Skrb_25 New Member

The shorty is probably registered as a pistol. As long as the barrel is 18" then it's a shotgun and you can do what you want to the grip/ but stock. Here is mine for example, it's got an 18" barrel and the rest of the configuration is legal.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  7. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Huh? I missed that part. If it has a barrel at least 18" long and is at least 26" overall, it is NOT illegal in Texas for someone under 21 to purchase/possess.

You are confusing Federal Law with State Law. An FFL dealer cannot sell such a shotgun to you if you are under 21..

And, barrel length requirement for rifles is 16"

8. Sgt_Skrb_25

Sgt_Skrb_25 New Member

Sorry I'm in Komifornia, and bought it here at LGS.