Butt Stock and Buffer Tube M4

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by rccalzadilla, Aug 22, 2011.

1. rccalzadilla

rccalzadilla New Member

Can you please share your preferences as to an M4 adjustable butt stock and buffer tube?

Don't want the skeleton type.
    Want good quality.

I've read that there is a " reduced recoil" buffer tube? My wife will also be shooting this AR15.

tks

2. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Mil spec tube w/ a MOE, CTR, or IMod. I have recently started using an A5 from VLTOR which is similar in performance to a fixed A2 but allows for adjustment like a normal M4 collapsible stock. It runs a 5.4oz buffer as default but they offer heavier buffers.

Don't waist your money on those hydraulic buffers.

3. Car54

Car54 New Member

I like the MOE butt stock. It comes with a pad attached to the stock that adds a bit more overall length and it doesn't slip from your shoulder.

Magpul and others also have aftermarket pads to install on the stocks as well.

There isn't much of a recoil from AR's.

4. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

I'll never forget that first day at the range in Basic Training when the drill instructor placed the M16 squarely on his private parts and blasted off a 20-round mag. to prove to us there was no recoil. :cool:

I always wondered if he was wearing a cup! :eek:

5. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

I just went with a 6-position Mil-Spec. collapsible stock, which seems to work well for me. I added the rubber butt pad that is made for it that costs $6.00 and that brought it to 14" LOP when fully extended.

Here's a link with all kinds of different types. The Magpuls are really popular, but are a little too rich for my budget. If I ever find a gold mine in my backyard, I'll get a Magpull.

Stocks

6. rccalzadilla

rccalzadilla New Member

SNAKEDRIVER:
    We were only instructed with the M1 Garand: Many sore thumbs putting in that clip. It didn't happen to me, thankfully.

What's the advantage of MAGPUL?

7. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

RC, Magpuls are a sturdy well-built products worthy of combat duty in the field.

8. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Funny, my DI in basic fired off a few rounds like that with an M14. Surely he was wearing a cup! :p

9. Quentin

Quentin New Member

As Snakedriver said, the MOE and CTR are sturdy and well built. I particularly like the CTR since it flat out won't rattle and comes with a QD sling mount.

As far as the receiver extension, I've been pleased with BCM's milspec tube and H buffer. The Vltor that mjkeat mentioned would be an excellent choice.

10. rccalzadilla

rccalzadilla New Member

Is it possible to stick to 2 or 3 suppliers for the AR15 parts without over paying too much?
    Do the shipping minimums negate the savings of shopping around too much?
    What is your strategy?
    I love shopping on line but...:rolleyes:

I hope I'm not asking too many questions.

11. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

You can't learn without asking.

12. rccalzadilla

rccalzadilla New Member

Rifle dummies NATO 5.56

I can't find the rifle, dummy, cartridges for 5.56 NATO. Not even at Brownells.

Sorry, I meant to start new thread. Will restart a new one.

13. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Personally, if I have a large order I want to place I look for a single supplier that has most (if not all) of what I want who will forego the shipping charges over a certain order dollar amount.

I also try to wait for Sales at these various favored suppliers. The Labor Day Holiday is coming up soon for instance and I wouldn't be too surprised if the various suppliers out there don't have a big Labor Day Sale.

It seems like there's always be a few things you want that aren't on sale or at your favorite supplier and you just have to bite the bullet and order them up anyway with shipping charges and all.

BTW, we all had questions when we started bulding our AR's. :cool:

14. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Are you talking about "Snap Caps" like these?

Amazon.com: Traditions Performance Firearms Aluminum Rifle Snap Cap (.223): Sports & Outdoors

ETA: Brownells says they have them in stock here:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=61123/pid=31945/Product/_223_5_56_Dummies__5_Pak?utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_source=googlebase&mc_id=10000&gdftrk=gdfV21820_a_7c187_a_7c745_a_7c100004885_d_100004885_d_11280

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  15. rccalzadilla

rccalzadilla New Member

Yeah, that's what I mean.
    Guess don't know how to look things up at Brownells.
    tks

16. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Shipping does add up so going for the lowest price on every component at various online vendors can bite you from behind. You just have to look for deals on quality components and shipping like Snake said. Patience can pay off.

It's hard for anyone to tell you exactly what to do since prices are a moving target. For example whatever I did earlier this year would be different now. We all have our great deals and a few not so great.

BTW, we don't mind questions here, RC.

17. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Any of the good 6 Position Collapsible Stocks from Rock River, Bushmaster, Stag and others are good and come as a kit.
    And are not unreasonably priced. You may find one at a good buy also at a local gun show!

18. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I would though, if at all possible, get a milspec diameter RE and stock. Many brands are milspec but many are the larger commercial size. It doesn't matter terribly if you go commercial as long as replacement stocks you like fit your tube. But the odds of compatibility are much higher if you go milspec originally. The RE should be stronger as well.

19. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Find the lowest prices from a single internet store to save on shipping.

The MOE cana be found very inexpensive, usually around $60. The CTR will run you just under $100.

20. rccalzadilla

rccalzadilla New Member

Quentin, what does RE stand for?