Butt Stock and Buffer Tube choice?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by rccalzadilla, Aug 23, 2011.

1. rccalzadilla

rccalzadilla New Member

2. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

That's the one I've got and it seems every bit as solid as the Colt CAR-15's buttstock that I carried in Vietnam. I know in those days it wasn't composite material, but this thing you've listed isn't flimsy at all.

Attached Files:

3. Kinetics

Kinetics New Member

4. rccalzadilla

rccalzadilla New Member

I know what I want but need input to choose. I want quality and don't mind paying more for real quality.

1-Want a flat top (Picatinny type), complete, receiver. Same manufacturer to be pretty sure of head space. Spike's Tactical seems to be all in back order and so does PSA.
    2-Want an removable handle with A2 adjustable for windage and elevation. will add dot site in future.
    3-Want chromed barrel and chamber for ease of cleaning.
    4-16" barrel with 1/9" and some kind of, military looking, suppressor.

I'd like to choose and be ready for possible week end sales!

5. Quentin

Quentin New Member

That's a pretty good deal for the MOE kit! I can't comment on the UTG but one of our members had fitment problems months ago. Maybe they've improved their product since but I'm still wary of them.

6. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

PSA isnt backordered that I know of. The do take a week to ship being that the kits are put together at time of order. PSA is a one stop shop for the parts you're needing.

I'd really reconsider the 1:9 barrel unless you have a real reason for it.

Muzzle device - an A2 birdcage works well.

7. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I love the look of a carry handle but since you're talking RDS in the future maybe a flipup rear sight like the MBUS would make more sense. Nothing wrong with having a spare CH though, I have at least 5! :p

8. rccalzadilla

rccalzadilla New Member

Barrel twist of 1:9 it just because it's an in between size, since I really don't know any better.
    My purpose is for target practice and hobby, for now.
    What twist rate do you recommend?

9. Car54

Car54 New Member

1/9 is fine for most purposes. You'll probably be using 55 gr .223/5.56 ammo most of the time if not all the time. This twist will also allow you to use ammo grains into the 60's or down into the 40's and still have the bullet stabilized out of the barrel to your target.

10. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

I agree, I know everyone says the more modern 1:7 twist AR barrels will work with the lighter and much more common bullets in the 55-62 grain weight, but my many years shooting all kinds of firearms tells me a 1:7 twist is too fast for light bullets. For the average shooter who isn't going to be shooting heavy bullets out to 500 yards 1:9 will work just fine.

11. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

1:9 may work "fine" but 1:7 will work better for your typical AR user who uses 55gr and up. Why pigeon hole yourself into light/short loads w/ 1:9? Are you really going to be putting anything lighter than 55 through you firearm? To be honest I highly doubt it from my experience.

You mentioned target practice. 1:7 will prove better w/ the higher grain ammunition which is better for target shooting. There's a reason most of your higher quality rifles come w/ 1:7 barrels.

As far as in between 1:8 is in good between and often used in stainless barrels that tend to be made for greater accuracy. To me thats a big clue.

12. rccalzadilla

rccalzadilla New Member

I understood the following, from a gun shop, regarding AR15 M4s he had for sale:
    Bush Master, cheaper but you couldn't shoot .223s only 5.56, no higher grain bullets.
    Colt Law Enforcement/Military .223 and 5.56 and higher grain bullets.
    I understood they both were the same rate of twist.

Please clarify.
    tks

13. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

IMO run like hell from the BM.

What was the price on the Colt?

From my understanding if your rifle is chambered in 5.56 you can also fire .223 but not vise versa. Is the BM chambered in .223 or 5.56?

Id be willing to bet the Colt was 1:7 twist. Sounds like the BM is 1:9

14. rccalzadilla

rccalzadilla New Member

The Colt was $1300.00 including sling, cleaning kit and 20rnd clip.
    The BM was in the $800s.

15. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Just by playing averages the Colt w/ sling and magazine are probably closer in value to the asking price. What model Colt? You can find 6920's for closer to $1k, add shipping and FFL and you're still saving yourself some money.

For $800 you can do much much better.

16. rccalzadilla

rccalzadilla New Member

Colt "Law Enforcement/Military". Said they wouldn't be manufactured any more.
    Well, with the help of this forum and my research I think I can do much better.
    Thanks so much for the help.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
  17. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Colt did/ is going to stop production of the LE/Mil marked lowers. The lowers were used on different models.

I still think the PSA would serve you well and save you a little money for an optic and ammunition.