BUTT-HOLE range officers

Discussion in 'Range Report' started by Seanbo123, Nov 24, 2011.

1. Seanbo123

Seanbo123 New Member

Everytime i go to my gun range the range officers get more and more aggresive. They foam out the mouth. My gunrange is knob creek and the range officers are big buttholes. I went inside and my two sons were old enough and responsible enough so i can trust them with the weapons. Well as soon as i go inside the range officer waddles up and starts grabbing the weapons and checks if they were loaded when the breach blocks were in so you would know its unloaded and he only did what he did cause i wasnt currently present just my 13 year old and 17 year old

2. trip286

trip286 New Member

Many may disagree with me, but here I go.

First, look at going to a different range. If that fails, file complaints (I'm also assuming this is a paid membership range)

Rifleman's Creed: This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

If anyone (other than where state laws.... yadda yadda yadda) especially a private citizen, forcibly disarms a person, that is assault.

3. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I wonder if it has to do with liability and insurance issues?

4. trip286

trip286 New Member

Doesn't matter, taking someones firearm by force, even to check that it isn't loaded is still assault, except in the case of LE operating within regulations (which, when force is used, usually also has something to do with an uncooperative suspect, or sometimes just a misunderstanding)

If a civilian, even a range officer, even if I've paid to be there and abide by their rules, takes my firearm out of my hand or holster, for any reason without allowing me to "unload, show clear" and retain it for myself, they just walked into nose breaking territory.

5. trip286

trip286 New Member

And on another point, to the OP, since I've left the military, I don't allow anyone to act aggressive to me.

Of course defusing the situation or vacating the area should always be the first steps, and this may involve just quitting the range.

In which case, file complaints as I said above. the BBB should be happy to take your complaint, they make it public too, and you could also persuade your friends to (honestly or dishonestly, it's up to you) file similar complaints.

6. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

like someone posted, i would find another range or file a complaint with the owners. and if the guns are safed, and not being fired at the moment, then he has no right to put his hands on your property without permission.

7. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I have a lttle compassion for the "butt holes". They deal with a significant percentage of IDIOTS on the range. Stupid Nimrods who should not be in the same zip code with a firearm, much less handling one. They get paranoid and start presuming everyone is "gun stupid". All it takes is once and the range is sued into bankruptcy and they are out of a job.

WTS, there are some people who should not be range officers. It takes a particular breed to deal with people under such circumstances.

I would speak to the management and consider relocating to a different facility.

8. Jeepergeo

Jeepergeo New Member

The local ranges in my area require that youth shooters be supervised at all times. As a responsible parent and shooter, I have no issue with supervising my kids at all times on the range. If I need to leave the range for any reason, my kids come off the firing line until I return.

And I do this even though my son and grandson are probably more responsible than 50% of the adults on the range at any given time.

IMO, everyone that wants to shoot at the range should read and abide by the range rules. If you don't like them, then shoot somewhere else, or join the club and work to get the rules changed (but abide by them in the meantime).

The RSO at the range I shoot at most is, I will admit, not Mr. Congenial and is not very friendly (which probably cuts down on memberships...but that's another issue). But, the less than congenial RSO does run a safe range, and that is much appreciated.

9. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

From the range website:

"Parental supervision is required for anyone under the age of 18. You must be 18 years old to shoot a long gun and 21 years of age to shoot a handgun unless you have a parent with you."

SO---you left the kids unsupervised, with the guns laying out (not bagged or cased)? Sounds like the RSO might have over-reacted a bit, but rules are
    rules. If you don't like the rules, work to change them or go somewhere else.

We have some rules at the range where I am a member that I think are
    pretty stupid--but I abide by them as a condition of membership.

10. TimKS

TimKS Member Lifetime Supporter

^^^Exactly put!

Sometimes I wonder about people with guns being so eager to lose their temper over insignificant crap that happens to them. We all dislike it when we feel that we've been wronged, but give it some thought before blowing a fuse. ;)

11. Bootsdeal

Bootsdeal New Member

Your kids were just that - kids - so they shouldn't have been left unsupervised. So, this time, I don't believe you have a legitimate gripe. That being said, I used to go to Garland Public Shooting Range in Garland, Tx and they got a coupla guys there I don't much care for, as they like to push their weight around for no cause at all. I think it's because they've probably had a "nothing" life and now, with a gun on their hip, they think they're Wyatt Earp. They'd probably be better off as Walmart greeters. I have quit going there and will never go back. I'm a shooter, but I was also their customer. I'm treating them just like any other poor-service business -- I won't go back and I'll tell everyone I can why not. Money's too hard to come by these days to take a bunch of stuff from some arrogant slob.

12. Seanbo123

Seanbo123 New Member

Well actually my oldest just turned 18 that past week so i thought he was still 17 but he was legal to watch my youngest and they were sitting down not even near the weapons that were on the firing line so yea everything was good on my part. They never shot without my supervision

13. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

I do understand your complaint,but you also need to understand just what the RO's #1 job is-Keeping Everyone On The Range SAFE!
    I frequent a local range,and all of the RO's are great fellows since they have gotten to know me and many other shooters over the years.But their main concern is keeping everyone that is at the range SAFE.
    I see no harm done by a RO that's just checking a weapon to make sure it has an open and clear chamber.
    Some of them do have attitudes,but they do have to deal with some really dumbazz people on a daily basis that shouldn't own or possess a firearm.

Give them a break,their just trying to keep the range a safe place to be,and probably didn't think he would offend you by touching your guns.You did leave your children unattended after all,even if they are well versed in gun safety.

14. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I was at a range Friday with the sil and 2 grandkids. The head range officer was a pretty decent guy and he had a lot of shooters to contend with. A 2nd range officer came in to help and was evidently not too knowledgeable. He jumped on me about not having the cylinder open on a single action revolver. The gate was open and the yellow chamber indicator was stuffed into the cylinder. I would have had no objection if he had picked up the revolver and spun the cylinder to verify all the chambers were empty. I had to tell him it was a single action and the cylinder does not swing open. The head range officer walked by it several times recognizing what it was. I would have removed the cylinder if it was a problem.

15. Hairtrigger

Hairtrigger Member

I wonder how many accidental discharges that range officer has prevented...???
    He is there for a reason and it is not to be a friend to everyone

16. skbryant32

skbryant32 New Member

"nose-breaking territory"?! Are you freaking kidding me? It's this kind of macho bs that makes people who are unsure about people who legally carry guns. You sound like the 5th grade bully who dares someone to take the milk off of his tray. Grow up.

17. ArizonaLawman

ArizonaLawman New Member

You have to remember the R/O's have to enforce the rules to the lowest common denominator.

Unless and until they know you....they have to assume you're a dinkroid who knows next to nothing.

Even so...you did violate the rules by leaving your kinds unattended.

He might have handled it a bit better...like standing by until you returned and had a quiet word with you...but the fact remains, he didn't step outside HIS authority. As R/O he had the right in your absense to take the guns from the bench and secure them until you returned.

There is a legal term for use of that range..."IMPLIED CONSENT".

If you HAD gone to "nose breaking" territory...you would also gone to "sitting in jail waiting to be bailed out because you were stupid" territory.

If you don't like the rules they have established for the safety of all involved, and don't want to abide by those rules...go shoot elsewhere.

It's pretty simple.

When I was lead instructor at the academy, I tossed more than one command grade officer off MY range for safety violations.

18. trip286

trip286 New Member

First off, I was the guy getting bullied in the fifth grade, likely by folks like you.
    Second, I did grow up. In Afghanistan, Iraq, and then in enforcing law as military police after I left the infantry.
    One hard fact I learned has been this- it is DANGEROUS to snatch a gun from someone. It runs a high risk of an accidental discharge. A TRAINED LEO is the only one who needs to be snatching someones gun, and even then, only if they really have to for safety or to make an arrest.
    Yes, if your not wearing a badge, and trying to put me in cuffs, then snatching my gun from holster or hand puts me, my family, and everyone else in the vicinity at risk of being killed, and risking lives over an ego is nose breaking territory at the bare minimum. I have seen more than one injury occur as a result of this foolishness. A REAL d bag, as you seem to think I am, would have said he'd shoot the guy.
    It is called weapon retention. It is a safety violation to snatch a weapon from someone without a good "unload, show clear".
    These kids were unattended at the moment, which is the OP's mistake and he seems to realize that. There were still breech flags in the guns.
    AZ seems to agree that I would be in the wrong, and he's probably right that I would be arrested. In which case, I would argue my reasoning in court and have to deal with the consequences. Oh well.
    Ask yourself this. If you were on the street and some one snatched your gun to make sure it's clear, would you feel the same way? Likely not. I expect to be treated with the same respect and courtesy, no, MORE respect and courtesy, from a service I pay for, than I do from some regular joe on the street.
    Call me an immature child, a bully, or what the heck ever you want. But when you see a friend catch a bullet through the eyeball over such a thing, and you know someone gets the joy of telling the guy's wife and kid, you may feel the desire to change your outlook on weapon retention. My weapon does not and will not leave my person unless I am confident the situation us safe. Unless I screw up and I'm getting arrested, in which case three will be plenty of other things to be thinking about.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  19. vincent

vincent New Member

Take it down a notch noob...

20. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I wouldn't exactly call him a noob, but taking it down a notch is a REALLY good idea. Getting all wound up over someone elses range issues does not sound very healthy to me.