Butler Creek 10/22 mags

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by SquirrelMurder, Nov 3, 2012.

1. SquirrelMurder

SquirrelMurder New Member

Made the mistake of buying an all plastic 25 round bannana mag for my ruger from Butler creek. Constant jamming and misloading, do the metal lipped versions have the same problems?

Attached Files:

2. AsSeenOnTV

AsSeenOnTV New Member

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012

3. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

The plastic ones require some file work to get them to work properly. If you take your time and watch closely you may be able to pick out the trouble spots where you need to remove material. They can be made to work reliably.

4. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

Ruger actually makes a 25 round mag for the 10/22. They run about $30. But they work great. I bought one for my son. It has been flawless. Worth every penny.

5. SquirrelMurder

SquirrelMurder New Member

Alright ill check it out, I didn't realize ruger made a 25 round mag!

6. vincent

vincent New Member

Butler Creek is complete crap...

7. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

Aww come on be fair, they are not COMPlETE crap.

With with the mag causing a jam every 4th round or so, more like 25% crap.

........…………………yea they suck

8. FearTheFree7

FearTheFree7 New Member

Cheaper than dirt has them for under $25.

9. jyo

jyo New Member

Interesting feedback on Butler Creek mags---I bought a bunch before hi-caps were banned in my state---both the plastic and metal ones all work great on several 10-22s---I don't have any fuctioning issues at all. Just my 02 cents...

10. beaglesam

beaglesam Active Member

So you are the one that got the good ones.:D

11. Blueguns

Blueguns New Member

I'm not certain, but it seems Hickok45 had an issue with them as well in one of his vids.

12. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

He is an idiot! I was using steel lips magazines long before Ruger started making high capacity magazines. All they need is a little graphite spray. I literally have dozens of steel lips magazines that work flawlessly. When a steel lips magazine is new spray it with graphite spray. I use Lock Ease available at most auto parts stores. It might take few treatments and there is a break in period. I have never had fit issues with a steel lips magazine either.

You can see the bullets are not stacking properly when you are loading the magazine. Stop stuffing bullets in the magazine when you see the first bullet not loading properly. Remove the bullet/s that are causing the problem. Then reload and have 25 shots of fun. This only happens when the magazines are new.

13. TNFrank

TNFrank New Member

It's been years since I've owned a 10/22 and used the Butler Creek mags BUT IIRC they worked fine if you'll put a slight chamfer on the chamber of your 10/22 barrel. The sharp edge can stop rounds from feeding from these mags, take a 45* chamfer tool(like you'd use to drill a countersink for a screw) and by hand use it to cut the sharp edge off of the rear of the chamber where the round enters. Don't overdo it, just a little bit is all you need.
    I've owned about 3 10/22's over the years and have put a slight chamfer on the chambers of all of them and they all worked like a champ with any mag I'd care to use. ;)

14. MikeBofAZ

MikeBofAZ New Member

No sir he got both good ones ever made lol

15. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

I also have several bought around the '92 gun ban era. Have not shot them extensively, but I do not recall one failure, either.

16. Juzi9mm

Juzi9mm New Member

butler creek hot lips= garbage.
    butler creek stell lips= not garbage.

imo, plastic does not belong on a magazine, except maybe the follower.

17. bamashooter68

bamashooter68 Member

This. After the graphite treatment on my steel lipped BC mags they work as well as the new ruger mags do.