Businesses not allowing cc

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by blucoondawg, Nov 25, 2011.

1. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

I think we should have a heading on this forum for people to post businesses, chains, and locations which post signs not allowing firearms on the premesis so we will all know who is or isn't firearms friendly and we then can avoid giving these people our business. We just recently won back our right to concealed carry and my permit is applied for, and I see there are signs popping up everywhere, No guns concealed or otherwise, means no money from this wallet will you get.

2. MrWray

MrWray New Member

What state are you in?? We have had CC in Oklahoma for 10+ years now.

3. orangello

orangello New Member

Good idea! I will keep an eye out, but i don't recall ever seeing such a sign here (MS).

4. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

We have business in Florida that post the same signs. Malls especially, some national breakfast joints and many others.

If I want to go to a mall with such a post, I simply ignore it. The worst thing that can happen is, if you are made carrying and told to leave, you Have to leave. If not you can be charged with armed tresspassing, which is a felony in Fl.

I carry everywhere except government buildings that are specifically identified as prohibited places to carry, but I am quite careful with my cover, and to my knowledge, I haven't been spotted. (except for the time I walked into Walmart with my cover shirt draped nicely over the top of my .45, and then, I am not sure anyone saw it before I did.)

5. trip286

trip286 New Member

The only places I've seen here in MS with signs that aren't on the list of places in the state laws are the hospitals.

6. shootnbull

shootnbull New Member

Jareds (the jewelery store) has a sign posted on it's door that makes it a felony to carry in it's stores. I don't know if this is a national policy or a local one. Tenn law makes it a felony to carry in a posted business

7. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Im the same way, i honestly couldnt tell you any business that has a "NO FIREARMS" sign posted because i dont look. I will not carry in any of the obvious places posted in the CC law,all others i will carry "especially in a mall". Last year there was a shooting in one of the malls me and the family go to, some gangbangers shooting at one another. One of the gangbangers were killed "boo f****** hoo!" and around 5 innocent people were wounded. I refuse to be helpless and unable to protect my family

8. gollygee

gollygee New Member

If a business doesn't want my pistol there, they don't want my business. But, haven't come across one in east Texas so far. If I do, I'll be sure to let them know why I am not shopping there.

9. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

I have seen that sign in a Delaware store as well...didn't look for it in NJ but would have been a moot point.

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

in wisconsin a no firearms sign means the business assumes all responsibility for the safety of their patrons. if something happens that requires slf defense actions the patrons can sue that business fir any damages suffered. if they dont post the business has zero legal liability as wisconsin ccw law makes the individual responsible for their own safety.

the best way to deal with it is to educate the owner in a polite fashion on the ccw law here. most do not understand they are increasing their legal liability and should something occur they can be sued for massive amounts for posting a sign.

getting beligerent and confrontational like a lot of the OC crowd does here is not the way to influence people and win friends

11. vincent

vincent New Member

Ditto...except for the armed trespass thing, different in NC...as I'm typing this the news is broadcasting a shooting at the Cross Creek Mall in Fayetteville, NC...spooky just discussing the mall.:eek:... +1 Mr Wray

12. kwolfe

kwolfe New Member

I have been trying to figure this out myself. There is nothing that I can see in washington's ccw laws talking about private business restrictions but yet one of the near malls has "no weapons allowed posted at the entrances" I'm assuming worse case scenario I am asked to leave the building. Does anyone know if I can get in trouble legally?

13. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

Really, this is good to know, do you know where I can find the actual law where it says that so I can print it off and show it to some friends who will want to know that and probably wont believe me unless they have it in black and white? In WI I wouldn't be too quick to carry into a place posting a sign, this state has alot of brain dead liberals who all seem to think carrying is a bad thing, I just got into a slight argument with my mom about it on Thanksgiving, therefore our laws concerning concealed carry are going to be enforced, I'm sure the law enforcement at least in Northern WI is against cc too. Northern WI has the attitude they dont need protection cuz crime is low so certain people believe the cc crowd is just a bunch of nutjobs.

14. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

Northern WI is like the Michigan's upper peninsula. Where the men are men and the women are too :) Crime is low, because the criminals can't survive in that environment. Far easier to go to Chicago and exercise their right to take what they don't own.

15. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

I wouldn't test that sign until you know for sure if you are right, the law states here in WI that carrying into an establishment with a sign posted can result in a class B forfeiture, whatever that is lol, not good for sure.

16. JonM

JonM Moderator

if a cop in northern wisconsin thinks that citizens shouldnt carry firearms then perhaps the citizens need to disarm the police through a new law as they dont need guns either. im of the opinion that any police officer that argues against ccw/oc should not be allowed to carry. police are citizens like everyone else. if non-police citizens dont need guns neither do the police.

anyway here is a link to the text of the law:

http://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/2011/related/acts/35.pdf

the way it reads is the business is immune from civil action if they dont post. it leaves the door open to lawsuits if they do. so a business that posts no ccw/oc raises their liability from 0 to 100%.

it has yet to be tested but all the trial lawyers like it.

they couldnt force businesses to not post as it would be a violation of their property rights but they wrote the law the way they did to encourage businesses to permit ccw/oc with no liability risk and intentionally left out liability protection from those that choose to strip people of their right to self defense on their property.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
  17. ArizonaLawman

ArizonaLawman New Member

Yet another topic that has been beaten to death....

Here's the deal, and to save time, just assume I am right...

If it is merely AGAINST POLICY to carry in a location...such as a mall, retail outlet, blah blah blah...CONCEALED MEANS CONCEALED.

Keep your pie hole shut...keep your roscoe concealed. The WORST thing that can be done to you for violating a POLICY is you can be asked to lock it up, or leave. Then if you refuse to leave, you can be charged with trespassing.

If, however, you live in a place where is it LEGALLY prohibited...then you must abide by the law, as you are responsible to KNOW the law in your area in regards to carrying your defensive sidearm.

Personally...as an officer...it was NEVER my job to enforce POLICY, and if I happened to be in a place where it was against POLICY for non-LE to be armed and I made someone carrying...read above...IT WASN'T MY JOB TO ENFORCE POLICY and absent a complaint from management, wherein all I could do is stand there while the carrier was asked to leave BY management. If and ONLY if the carrier refused to leave was I obligated to step in and enforce LAW.

You see...I am NOT advocating the breaking of the law. Quite to the contrary. I specifically recommend that you OBEY the law. However...an arbitrary policy designed to leave one defenseless in the face of attack is, by nature, contrary to my personal sense of self-preservation, thus...one I won't follow.

It's really not all that complicated folks.

18. CourtJester

CourtJester Well-Known Member

I wonder if Iowa has that...
    The local grocery store here has a sign and I go elsewhere to get what I need.

19. JonM

JonM Moderator

thats a very good point. in wisconsin you are breaking the law carrying a firearm into a posted area. the police can cite you with a misdemeanor fine if you do so. complying and just leaving with no argument you are still subject to a fine and it is considered a civil forfeiture type fine that has no legal jeopardy. about the same level as letting your dog poop in a no pooping zone.

in wisconsin you wont lose your right to carry or buy guns unless you escalate the situation and raise your offense to a criminal trespass by refusing to leave when asked.