business notion

Discussion in 'NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion' started by mattybock, Oct 18, 2013.

1. mattybock

mattybock New Member

I plan on starting a business this upcoming january, but need some feedback.
    I'd like to start a website for the business, but the cost of actually starting the site is kind of forboding. I can save a great deal of cash by going with three craviats that customers must abide by;
    - you cannot pay with any kind of card.
    - all orders are phoned or mailed in with a print out order blank
    - we only accept USPS money orders or US currency.

Paypal is already a dead fish to the gun industry, so that's no real news.
    The business itself is based around low cost gun kits and parts, inluding muzzeloader kits, and conventional gun kits centering on product lines, with each gun costing ca.$135 - $160.

All kits are non-functioning upon arrival and are thus exempt from federal regulation. The wood is sent sanded but unfinished, the metal is in the white, recievers need simple drilling and tapping. Instructions are available via the company website in PDF format and demonstrated on our youtube tutorials channel.

2. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

I would not expect a business to survive if it did not accept credit cards and online orders. :(

3. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

Yahoo business offers websites with credit card payment options.

4. orangello

orangello New Member

Seriously. I've seen many "deals" and passed because the payment form required more than a "click" or entering a credit card number. I couldn't tell you the last time I actually mailed in an order form, and I shop online very regularly.

There is a restaurant down the block from the office here, and I love their food, but I rarely order lunch from them anymore since they quit taking credit cards to save on the fees.

I do a lot of payroll tax work for small businesses, and I see some of the fees they pay to accept credit cards. There is no doubt the fees are a burden, but they bring in a lot of sales through those cards.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  5. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

Same for me. No card? No sale.

6. Drriley

Drriley New Member

Intuit offers a full service system. Hosting, cc payment, etc. You can build the site using their templates and they offer full service developers if you wish.
    now called homestead you can get info @ www.homestead.com

7. moonpie

moonpie New Member

Post some links and show us your goods.
    You would do better if you accepted plastic. I'm not
    comfortable going to the post office for money orders,
    gun free zones make me nervous

8. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

My opinion - your business would stand no chance without taking plastic.
    many stores suffer huge losses because they refuse to pay the 2 to 5 % transaction fees and they cut their own throats.
    there are many places on the web to DIY your own sites with card payment. look around.

9. indy36

indy36 New Member

No plastic = I don't buy there, ever.

10. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Looks like credit card acceptance is more of an investment in the business than just a cost. From the first comments it appears it may cost you more business in the long run to not accept them.

11. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i have to agree as well, that by not taking credit cards, you would be missing a lot of potential sales. another thing to consider is that many people use dbit cards, that are linked to their banking accounts, so that they can use it just like a credit card and also as to not to have to carry cash.

in the small town i live near, there is one radiator repair shop and he does mainly cash business and doesn't take credit cards. my brother subs his work through his shop because he does take credit cards and just tacks on a small fee to cover his expenses. if another radiator repair shop came into town that did take credit cards, it would probably cut heavily into his business. i now when i take work to him, i have to take cash or a check to pay for it.

12. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

13. ktmboyz

ktmboyz New Member

If I may ask why would you not be interested in taking cards ? There are many companies out there and it's very easy to set up. Zen cart web sites are very affordable to set up and offer integration with most secure cc processors. You would need a highly sought after product that was available nowhere else to get a business off the ground with only one pain in the *** payment option IMO

14. IXLR8

IXLR8 New Member

15. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

I also would not shop if I couldn't order online with my card. I HATE going to the PO for Money orders. Just put a lower limit on how much they must spend on their card, and add on some of the fee to make it worth your while. So, just how much is it to set up the whole shebang site, anyway?

16. pomfirearms

pomfirearms New Member

I use Godaddy for my website. I am pleased with my website and taking credit cards has helped make it easier selling things on Gunbroker auction site. Just do not pay for a search engine optimization for your website (those companies will charge you hundreds of dollars a month if you let them).

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Firearms Talk mobile app

17. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

And do absolutely nothing to get your website in the top 10 on the search engines.

18. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

The only way I will buy a new gun is by credit card. Guns are one of the few things you can't return to the place of purchase if it is defective. I am going to have an advocate in the consumer protection provided by my credit card.

19. 1911love

1911love New Member

My main LGS does cash discounts. I also like as little as possible of a paper trail when buying weapons.

20. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

I don't know where YOU shop, but I can...