Bushmaster XM-15

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Dwood, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Dwood

Dwood New Member

What do u guys think about a bushmaster xm15 .223 caliber AR?

2. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Nice. Trigger wants breaking in.

3. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I was a Colt snob til I got a 20" HB Bushy. Breaking it in, it shot a 100 yard 60 shot group that you could cover with a quarter. That is two full mags into less than an inch at 100! She's a shooter and now wears 3-9 X 40 glass. It is my DMR rifle. If I can see you, I can hit you

4. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

I guess it all depends on how you want to shoot and what you expect out of your AR. What are your needs and what are your expectations? The cost of the AR makes a difference as well. Personally w/ their current reputation I wouldn't purchase one. It's just not worth the money or possible headache. Chances are there is an AR out there of higher quality in the same price range. Id almost be willing to bet on it.

5. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

Agreed, you can build a higher quality rifle for less money, I asked the exact same question awhile back and believe me, these guys set the record straight.

Check out Palmetto State Armory. Bushmaster sold out, layed off all the workers and moved to NY. The old bushmasters are nice, as are some of the new ones, but its hit or miss.

Other brands to look at are Colt, BCM and Daniel Defense, but they cost more. As I said before, look at PSA.

6. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Don't know about the "current reputation" thing but I bought the same Bushy 8 Years ago and put rouglly 10k rounds through it before having a problems. Problem turned out to be simple. It needed new gas rings.

The trigger is a typical 2 stage 9 lb mil spec. I installed a drop I'm unitfr chip mccormic and it's now better than my deep rifle. 8k rounds on that trigger and still going strong.

Tack

7. talbertjm

talbertjm Member

i've had mine for two years now. there warranty dept was great. how do i know this, because ignorance forced me to send it in, or quality of the weapon, i dont know, somebody please tell me. I used an ammonia based cleaner a few times on my AR, the finish in the chamber and the upper receiver started to peel away like a cheap paint job on a car. i was using steel cased ammo also. i got a shell casing stuck in the chamber. i had to send it in for repair to get it out. when i got it back, a few days later, bushmaster sent out a notice not to use ammonia based cleaners. so anyways, ever since i got it back, i've used nothing but lake city brass and i have had not one issue with the weapon. not one failure to eject, misfire or anything. I've put just under one thousand through it, so i have a long way to go before i can say its a great weapon, but so far its been great besides my little issue. accuracy is what to expect with a 14 inch barrel, and a 1:9 twist

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  8. Quentin

Quentin New Member

You've really got to provide more info on your uses and budget. Do you have a link to the configuration you're buying? If you're into the $900 range I think you can do better.

9. Dwood

Dwood New Member

It's from a place called dunhams sports and it is 799 just gonna use it for target practice

10. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

You should have asked them to correct the out of spec chamber.

$800 is a good amount of money. You can do better in that price range.

11. talbertjm

talbertjm Member

would you happen to know what the spec/range should be. i'll have someone check it. this is my only rifle and its all i have right now. i cant afford for this thing to fail on me.

12. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

A good gunsmith will have the proper gauge and maybe even have the reamer.

13. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Sounds like two issues. You may have stripped away the dry film coating some ARs have in the upper receiver. I know ArmaLite sometimes has this issue, don't know about BM. Anyway, if that's what's going on, no worries it's cosmetic.

Steel case sticking in the chamber is a problem many rilfes have. Like Mike said an out of spec chamber is the likely culprit.

14. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

One other thing? If you do go get it checked by a gunsmith? Make certain he doesn't try to use a .223 gauge on a 5.56 barrel. It can give false readings. (So I've read and been told.)

15. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i have had my Bushmaster XM-15 for about two years now and was manufactered in 2005. so far have not had any issues come up and has functioned perfectly. so far, so good! trigger is a little heavier than i like, but as it's not a target rifle, i may or may not change it sometime in the future. mine also has the A2 style upper and i bought an A2 style scope mount for when i want to use the red dot scope on it. all in all, it's fun to shoot. some may bash me for buying mine, it being a Bushmaster, and that i could have built a much better one by building one. well my reasoning was and is, at the time, i wanted one, it was in great condition, was in the configuration i wanted, the price was acceptable to me, and i didn't really want to build one at the time. i wanted one fairly stock to learn and shoot with, to find out what i wanted before building one. so mine has fulfilled all it was intended to do. i have learned, and found out what i want the next one to be now. so it has proved to be an excellent learning tool.

16. Quentin

Quentin New Member

But knowing what you know now would you make the same purchase today? Knowing that you could get PSA or Spikes for the same price as Bushmaster or BCM for very little more? Things change and that's what's really important for the new guy today. I would never tell someone to buy something just because I bought it. (Not singling you out.) I recommend what my research says is the best buy today. My friends always come to me for advice on guns, TVs, Blu-rays, computers, you name it, because I usually point them in the right direction.

17. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Quentin, it depends. as i too have heard that the newer Bushmasters have slipped in quality compared to the older ones since the move to the New York plant, but i would reserve any judgement on that until i was able to examine one in person. i am not falling for internet myths and rumours, as i would rather see for myself in person, to make a decision. knowing what i know now, quite possibly i would still buy the one i did based on the what i can look at and examine in person. but, in my area, you just don't see the PSA, Spikes or the BCM's, so i can't truly make a comparison on what i don't have any hands on experiance with. the brands mostly encountered in my area, RRA, Bushmaster, Colt, DelTon, DPMS, Ruger, and Remington. when i made my final decision, it came down to the Bushmaster and a RRA that was similar. i really liked both, but went with the Bushmaster because it being lightly used had a lower price than the new RRA. knowing what i know now, i still have no regrets on my purchase, so i can say that quite possibly i would make the same purchase as the one i did.