Bushmaster Carbon 15

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by GaryGlock, Aug 26, 2012.

1. GaryGlock

GaryGlock New Member

So this is goin to be my first military style semi-automatic rifle, I'm wanting it to be a heavy shooter/ possible *shtf* gun..was wondering if anyone had any personal experience with these or if I should head in another direction.
    Thanks for the help.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2012
  2. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

For the money, you could do way better and get a S&W Sport or spend a little more and buy PSA or Spikes. I'm not a fan of carbon lowers. I don't trust them. When I sold them at Academy, they always felt loose and cheap and I would always try and move the customers attention away towards a better quality rifle

3. GaryGlock

GaryGlock New Member

The only thing I don't like about the sport, as far as I know I coudlnt find one with a dustcover for under a 1000$.. I know that sounds trivial but I'm gonna spend lots of time in the woods with it.. I'm in the 700-850$ range by the way.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 26, 2012
  4. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

For a bit more you can get a global arms AR

5. fmj

fmj New Member

I am FAR from an expert in the AR world.....but...

I havent ever heard anything good about those bushys...hell i havent heard anything good about bushy period in quite a few years.

For that money you can get a PSA M-forgery. Thats the route i went. Other than a minor glitch that PSA promptly took care of for no charge i am quite happy with it.

$750 + FFL transfer fee

[​IMG]

With optics i am still under the $850 mark total...

[​IMG]

The PSA M-4gery is more accurate than i am...
    [​IMG]

6. GaryGlock

GaryGlock New Member

I like the heavier looking barrel on that psa, one thing I didn't like about the bushmaster was that thin barrel.

7. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I fixed the wording for you. A Carbon 15 is NOT an assault rifle. It is a plastic Sport Utility Rifle (SUR). I have seen too many reports of broken receivers on the Carbon series to recommend one.

The AR platform is designed to be a forged aluminum alloy receiver rifle. The S&W Sport series is a decent rifle. It does lack some of the features of the higher end rifles, but has no known real deficiencies. You can find a truer representation of the genre in your price range and still get very good quality.

8. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

I would go without a dust cover instead of a polymer lower all day, every day. JMHO.

9. GaryGlock

GaryGlock New Member

Arite cool, I'm takin this all in so keep it comin guys...

10. amorris11

amorris11 New Member

I have a carbon 15 from bushmaster, and I have put about 1000 rounds through it since I got it last Christmas. I haven't had any issues what so ever so far.

11. Datalore

Datalore New Member

I have several AR's and have had no problems with the C-15 by bushmaster. I have around 3000 rounds through the Carbon and I have never had one FTF. I like the way it dissipates heat as well. I am not saying that there have not been problems but of you read enough you will find problems with anything.

12. billt

billt New Member

Same here. I bought a Bushmaster Carbon 15 Model 21-S Pistol back in 2004, and have never had a problem. My wife loves it. I would guess it's nearing the 4,000 round mark now, and all it does is run. I put an EO-Tech on it for her, and she has no trouble hitting pop cans at 100 yards with it. At night with XM-193 Ball it produces a volleyball sized fireball out of the muzzle. It's the same gun she's holding in my Avatar.

13. whiptail

whiptail New Member

Take a look at the stag model 3.

14. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

I have never bought a Bushmaster rifle, but I have not had any problems with their parts, if that helps you any.

15. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

I've been pretty impressed with the quality of Del-Ton, Stag, S&W, PSA, Spikes, and BCM...all relative to their respective price points, of course. I have a DPMS Sportical that has yet to betray me, but I'd feel more confident recommending the previously listed options.

Some are better than others and it just boils down to what specs matter most to you. A BCM will pretty well eat up a full $1000, but the others offer really models throughout the $650-950 price range.

16. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

From what experience I have with them, Bushmaster and S&W would make excellent starter AR's. My experience with S&W is with pistols, but they were high quality. As far as Carbon 15's go, people will either swear BY them or swear AT them. Possible they need more QC than the aluminum receivers. The barrel is the lightest part of the upper anyway, so I would rather deal with a couple of extra ounces if it meant a significant reliability issue. My only experience with DPMS wasn't good, then again I could have just gotten a lemon. There are enough people with DPMS's that can claim thousands of rounds of good shooting that there must be something to them.

17. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I would go in another direction - and for a rock bottom low price AR, the S&W M&P-15 Sport has a lot going for it.

When 7075-T6 receivers are almost a sure thing why chance buying a C-15? No doubt some have held up but is today's Bushmaster producing a good C-15? I can't answer that question and I'm not about to find out first hand.

18. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Gary,

As some have stated you should go another way!!!!;)

19. GaryGlock

GaryGlock New Member

Yea I wasn't so sure about them at first, figured I'd ask around. Think I'm gonna go pick up a smith or PSA, I know the Psa's don't sit around long here.

20. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

all 3 of my PSAs have been top notch ,accurate and reliable and they cycle everything I have put in them even with heavy buffers and lower grade Tula, wolf ammo . same deal on my Spikes , They too make great rifle but you hardly ever see them in stock as completes.