Bushmaster carbon 15 or ak47

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by mplandscaping, Aug 8, 2013.

1. mplandscaping

mplandscaping New Member

Trying to decide on selling my ar for an an because of the durability and the power, but can you do as much with an AK as you can an AR?

2. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

AR is more accurate. AK is more reliable. AK47 is also larger caliber, 7.62x39mm vs 5.56x45mm. I suppose it is just preference.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

my opinion is that the ar15 is a much more durable reliable and versatile platform if your talking about a bcm/colt ar15.

but you have a lower end carbon 15, going to an ak would likely be an upgrade.

its a lot harder to get quality solid mounts that line up with the bore on a ak.

ak dont have a huge choice in ammo types few hunting bullets of decent quality.

ak are pretty simple to operate but im not a fan of how the controls are laid out or magazine design.

4. hoovco

hoovco New Member

Between a carbon 15 and an AK, I'd take the AK.

5. kbd512

kbd512 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

If you want an inexpensive rifle it's a lot easier to get an inexpensive AK with decent build and materials quality than it is an AR-15.

A high quality Arsenal AK costs every bit as much as a Colt AR-15. I own both. Both are reliable, accurate guns.

The accuracy variance between a Colt AR-15 and Arsenal AK using military ammunition is not as much as some would think. The accuracy standard for both weapons is the same. Generally speaking, a Colt AR-15 is going to be more accurate than an AK. The difference is marginal. The real question is, can you use the notch and post sights of the AK effectively? If not, get a Colt AR-15. If so, rock on with your AK.

There are a few things to consider with either weapon:

1. How much will quality ammunition cost?

2. How much will quality magazines cost?

3. What kind of optics mounts can you get and are they suitable for your uses?

Ask yourself those questions. Initial purchase price of a carbine should not be the deciding factor in what you get because those other questions will cost you a lot more than the carbine ever will.

6. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I would take a low end AK (like the WASR) over a low end AR (like the C-15) but would go with a quality AR over any AK. (And that's not a knock on the AK, just praise for the AR.)

7. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

My only experience with AKs is with the lower end ones. I plan on getting an Arsenal in the next 4-6 months, I'm looking forward to it. Call me odd but I actually prefer the AK sights inside of 200 yards.

8. Quentin

Quentin New Member

No doubt Arsenal is a great way to go with the AK. I've only shot lower end AKs, mostly the WASR I've had 5+ years. Very few problems with them.

9. longunner

longunner New Member

Why not both??? Save up your money and you won't have to compromise anything

10. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I own both , Simplicity of the AK is as easy as it gets as far as field stripping , cleaning ,operation etc . If someone were to come out with a reliable feeding AR in 7.62x39 and I mean like AK reliable I would go that route . I also have a AR in 7.62x39 but Its not had enough rounds thru it to call it reliable . Roughy 330 rds and no issues , when I get it up there to 2000 without any issues then I will call it reliable . Magazines seem to be the issue for this caliber but I have not had any trouble with my ASC 30 rounders yet. both rounds are coming back on the shelves about everywhere . The 7.62 x 39 is a tiny bit cheaper for steel cased ammo and even better for bulk . I have been getting 7.62 from my dealer for around $250 per 1000

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013