Bushmaster Carbon 15 Inputs

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by 05RavenRider, Jan 17, 2012.

1. 05RavenRider

05RavenRider New Member

Just bought the gun over the weekend at a local gun show. Equipped a quad rail and front grip just after purchase. The gun came with a Bushnell red dot which will be changed eventually. It is my first AR and I'm really just looking for expert input from those who have used it and their experience. Any good upgrades would be cool, too.

Attached Files:

2. MichaelBarton

MichaelBarton New Member

well,, i recently bought one of these..... they are not the best quality. ive only put around 1000 rnds down range and the to rail is already loose. the lower isnt bad. i heard carbon upper jam alot. i changed the upper to a Stag arms upper. it cost around the same price as the whole carbon 15. remember, you get what you pay for.

oh and go introduce yourself!

3. 05RavenRider

05RavenRider New Member

My name is Kevin. I'm a Navy Submariner by trade but I'm currently working at Navy Recruiting Headquarters in Millington, TN.

4. Gloves

Gloves New Member

Welcome Raven Rider. I got a buddy who's a submariner.
    No experience with that brand.
    I say, shot the **** out of it and see what breaks. That's usually what I upgrade. =)

5. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

We've had two really recent cases (last week) on this site alone of poor quality w/ this rifle. There is a long trail of issues w/ the Carbon on top of these recent cases.

Another case where looking for advise before the purchase would have been best.

6. Quentin

Quentin New Member

My buddy has had a C15 quite a while, since 2008, and it's held up to light use. I don't trust it myself but his wife loves it because it's lightweight.

It seems recent models made in Ilion, NY are of lesser quality than older ones. I'd say treat it gently and certainly never mortar it to remove a stuck casing.

7. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

And have the chamber checked to save yourself from possible headaches.

8. 05RavenRider

05RavenRider New Member

Thanks for the inputs everyone. Does anyone else any other inputs? I stripped the weapon today just to familiarize myself as it is my first AR. It's very simple and seems to have tons of aftermarket upgrades.

9. jdbern03ky

jdbern03ky New Member

I've had mine a few months with a couple hundred rounds through it. All I can say so far is that it is quite accurate and I love it for the price, but:

1. The magazine is crap, so get some others - I bought several Tapco mags when Brownell's had them for $7.50 - all work fine.
    2. Stay away from steel cased ammo. Remington, American Eagle, and Lake City M855 have all worked well with no problems.

10. lunarmanathome

lunarmanathome New Member

Go and shoot the darned thing.

Don't waste any money on upgrades at this time - find if your rifle is what you want it to be.

Research the many sites that talk about the ar15, read other people comments on their gear, figure out what your rifle is to be used for and the "upgrades" will come naturally. Short cuts are expensive, and asking for people to help you upgrade your rifle is asking them to spend your money for something they will never use. You have no idea yet how your rifle "feels" nor what changes any "upgrades" will introduce.

Bubbleheads....I don't hate them, I have a son who was one. (I'm a retired Master Chief, community that Iwas in is unimportant, but rifles and such were an everyday part of my life) Thank you for your service.

11. fireman1296

fireman1296 New Member

I varmint hunt with mine on a regular basis. It has a Burris 332 prism sight and a quad rail with a bi-pod and a laser designator on it. I love mine. It's light and durable. I've shot LOTS of rounds and never have any problems with jamming or cycling. I pretty much only shoot Remington ammo. Hope this helps...

12. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

It would help us to know what "LOTS" is.

13. vmkeith

vmkeith New Member

I don't have a Bushmaster Carbon 15, and never shot one, but something about having a composite upper just doesn't seem right to me. Now, with the S&W M&P 15-22 it might not be bad, but I'd think it wouldn't hold up to the chamber pressure all that well over time.

14. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

It doesn't make sense and has been known to bite back.

15. fireman1296

fireman1296 New Member

2000-2500. I would think that's enough to have problems if I was going to.

16. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

In what amount of time?

It really doesn't matter w/ the amount of info/pictures out there of blown up carbon upper receivers. Definitely not for me.

17. fireman1296

fireman1296 New Member

Then don't buy the thing. They guy asked for everybody's opinion and I gave him my experience with my carbon 15. You think you know everything there is to know about AR's and it's ridiculous. Apparently from all the stuff I've seen you post on here you need to spend a little more time evolving your people skills and a little less time playing with your guns.

18. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I have great people skills. My "problem" is that I am just a little more honest than people like. I don't claim to know anything beyond my experiences and have never pretended to know everything.

The FACT is the carbon-15 is prone to blow up on its operator. As a consumer is it worth the risk considering BMs horrible reputation for QC and QA?

I could have lied and said it's a great and durable firearm but I wouldn't feel right misleading him. But if I had nobody would have had a problem w/ my post. Should we go through life lying and candy coating everything as to not upset people because they own one? That would be a disservice to everyone.

Length of ownership is not an indication of quality on its own. You need to take round count into consideration as well as shooting habits and other variables.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  19. 05RavenRider

05RavenRider New Member

I have put 160 rounds of .223 through the rifle with no malfunctions. Half brass and half steel rounds. The rifle shot accurate and cleanly. I ordered 420 rounds of 5.56 and they came in today. My only thought was about the supposed "upper explosion" and if it could be due to the increased pressure of the 5.56 NATO round. Thoughts?

20. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

It's .223/5.56 so the ammo shouldn't cause a problem.

There are 3 people on this forum who have had problems w/ their Carbon 15. Two had the top rail coming off of their receiver and the other had a hand guard that kept coming off. There have been multiple people on this site who have had horrible experiences w/ BM QC. One instance took months to resolve w/o any real communication from BM.