Bushmaster AR15

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Ruger22lr, Jun 7, 2013.

1. Ruger22lr

Ruger22lr New Member

Went to a gun store today and was selling my old H&R 20 gauge. I went to look for AR's and I found a Bushmaster for $895. I put $275 on it and I just owe $670 now.

2. pawjr74

pawjr74 New Member

Nice! I saw a Bushmaster M4 Patrol (5.56) at WM the other day and they wanted $997 so that sounds like a decent price.

3. TruggieTex

TruggieTex New Member

That is a good price....well, it is what I paid 4 years ago!

4. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Which model? It's not a C-15 is it?

The reason I ask is $900 can get you a darn good AR or something much less. Some places still are selling $600 guns for inflated prices. Better to find out now.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
  5. Ruger22lr

Ruger22lr New Member

It's an ORC from what it looked like. Had no front sights or rear.

6. ccase39

ccase39 New Member

I have seen a lot of mixed reviews on Bushmaster since they were taken over by Remington. I have one and love it. I have put over 2000 rds through it, mostly steel, and it has not missed one beat, no jams, no broken parts, nothing. The only regret I have is that I bought mine right after Sandy Hook and got gouged. It was relative to everything else at that time though.
    I paid much more than you did and would buy another one in a heartbeat at that price.
    I am about to buy a RRA lower and slowly put together a new one, but I am going to shoot the crap out of the BM just to see how much abuse it can take.

7. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

I bought mine in 2001. No complaints. Can't remember price exactly, thinking around just under $800.

8. bostonscottkelly

bostonscottkelly New Member

Just purchased a lightly used bushmaster xm-15 with millet red dot, 2 preban large cap mags (live in mass so any mag holding more than 10 rds must be preban), locking carry case, factory case & 500 rds of ammo for $1300.......it belonged to a friend of mine & I had fired it on a few occasions & really enjoyed it

9. tcr2

tcr2 New Member

Bought my bushmaster at wally world couple months ago for 947.00 plus tax. Put a weaver 4-16 x 50mm scope on it last week. Took to range to sight in last 3 shot group 3/4 inch@ 100 yds. Very happy with mine - next purchase a free float handguard.

10. Donn

Donn Active Member

Quent, I had two C-15's, got them back in the day for $600 each, both were excellent shooters. Sold them both during the panic for a nice chunk of change. Like it or not, the days of $600 AR's are long gone. The panic's over for now, (there's another one coming, sorry to say), but prices haven't come down at all around here. The average price for an AR, any AR is $1000. Buy the pieces, (if you can find them), to build your own, it'll still run you $1000-$1100. And 5.56 ammo's still a b*tch to find. Maybe it's different where you are, but not here.

11. Ruger22lr

Ruger22lr New Member

Just a quick question but new AR's do shoot .223 and 5.56 right? Just making sure of it.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
  12. pawjr74

pawjr74 New Member

As long as the barrel is marked 5.56 (it most likely will be) you can shoot both. Don't shoot 5.56 in a .223 marked barrel.

13. Ruger22lr

Ruger22lr New Member

Yeah thought so. It's brand new so it is 5.56 then.

14. pawjr74

pawjr74 New Member

Probably. Just looks at the barrel marking. I don't think many manufacturers are putting out .223 only these days. (Unless you're shopping specifically for that caliber on a high end build) Please correct me if I'm wrong on that.

15. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

In my opinion that's an okay price for an okay gun. Not bad on either accord, but not great either. A lot of Bushmaster stuff has been foolishly inflated because that seems to be the name most commonly affiliated with the "evil AR" media movement.

Bushmasters are generally solid rifles. And for under $1K they're just fine. IMO, you can build a better rifle through PSA for the same or less. But not everyone wants to build, nor did I when I bought my first AR.

If you got the 'carbon' (plastic lower) model, you didn't do so well because it's a $700 gun. Otherwise (alloy lower), you did just fine in my opinion.

16. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Why do they cost such a low price? Just curious about the quality of materials. There is a Bushmaster at the Rod and Gun Club in camo, but it is much more. I think it is a .308 though.

17. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

The brand alone doesn't define it. It might be a C15, an ACR, or a 308. What would you say if I asked you "How much is a Toyota worth?"?

But you're right to ask about the quality of the parts. That's where you win or lose with any AR purchase/build, and understanding what will serve you best is critical.

18. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Can you get a Bushmaster in black. I only see camo on their website. I am not a fan of camo. I think the export fees is what makes the Bushmaster I looked at more expensive. It does come with illuminated scope and bipod. How does the plastic lowers hold up? There are no plastic AR15s over here. How do does the plastic compare to metal lowers?

19. ccase39

ccase39 New Member

Im pretty sure Bushmaster only offers metal receivers. Mine is in black so you should be able to find one if you look. Some set ups do come with a scope and some don't. I havnt seen one with a bipod in the package.

20. Quentin

Quentin New Member

No, the Bushmaster Carbon 15 doesn't have metal receivers.