Bushmaster Ar-15

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by capstone, Aug 3, 2011.

1. capstone

capstone New Member

Im about to purchase a new AR-15. I have been looking at a few different models. The one I keep coming back to is the Bushmaster CAR 15....Today, my local FFL dealer tried to talk me out of this purchase and go with a Armalite or another more expensive model. His argument was that the gun was "too light". I've always heard that Bushmaster is a very good rifle and I have put some rounds down range in a friends gun. It was a amazing rifle.

Have any of you guys heard any pros or cons on the Bush CAR 15?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks EM

2. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

i was in your shoes before.. had my mind set on a bushmaster. then i held a stag... i now own a stag. and my friend does too. they are great rifles with lifetime warrenties. and cheaper than bushmaster. if i had to do it again, i would buy the same rifle. i love mine. and the reason i held the stag in the first place.... i thought it looked a lot like the bushmaster that it was next to.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

long as it isnt the carbon 15 carbon fiber lower reciever they work just fine. you do NOT want the carbon fiber model.

4. capstone

capstone New Member

Why would you not want the carbon fiber model?

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

Issues with reciever splits. Usually around the rear takedown pin area. Sometimes around the front takedown and hammer pin hole area but not as much there.

Its a neat concept but carbon fiber doesnt have much shear strength. Its got fantastic pull strength. Kinda like a sheet of paper easy to tear but not easy to pull apart.

It takes a lot of engineering to overcome that problem which is why eqrly carbon fiber bike frames had real issues. I would wait a year or more till they figure out how to engineer around that problem with a ar reciever. Too new yet

6. capstone

capstone New Member

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it. EM

7. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Sounds like you need a new FFL. To light, are you serious?

Do you mind telling us what you're paying for the BM?

8. capstone

capstone New Member

699.99....been on sale since Fathers day

9. njbudman81

njbudman81 New Member

I love my smith and wesson. Have you looked at the m&p-15?

10. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Bushmaster has been up and down throughout the last 10 years. I've got an older dissipator that shoots with any gun in the safe, on the other hand one of my brothers has a 20" (I believe XM) that has had all kinds of problems, from bad extractor (replaced) to ill fitting rear takedown pin/opening.

I'd just bypass and go with a sure shot. I get sick of recommending the same 3 or 4 "economical" winners, so I'll let someone else. I have enough "good" rifles, I'm only interested in the best from now on. . . ;)

11. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

For that $ look into a PSA upper and build a lower to put it on.

12. Quentin

Quentin New Member

My buddy bought a Carbon 15 during the panic spree around the election so paid $1000. While it has been a decent range gun and no problems so far I could never recommend one. I tried to talk him out of buying it but he had to have something.

If you really want a factory AR for $700 you might look at the S&W Sport but I also like the idea of building your own. The PSA upper mjkeat mentioned might get you close to your budget but don't be afraid to go over a little as $700 might not get the job done right.

13. Wambli

Wambli Member

I don't know about the CAR but the 10.5" upper on the SBR in the center is a Bushmaster and I can tell you I have rode that one hard and put it away wet more than a few times and it has never missed a beat in 4 years even when I have been less that dutiful in it's care.

[​IMG]

14. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

You can but a complete kit from PSA.

15. capstone

capstone New Member

Thank you all for the input. I went ahead and bit the bullitt and bought one. I will give a full range report ASAP.

16. sublime42283

sublime42283 New Member

wow, capstone, you didn't wait too long before you purchased. Even after being in the military I looked at probably twenty to thirty different set-ups and rifles before I bought my Del-ton and I am completely happy. Definitely give us a range report and tell us how she does.

17. capstone

capstone New Member

well, Sub, I have been kicking the can for a few months. This was the one i kept coming back to. I guess she just spoke to me. Like most, I'm sure this firearm has it's pro's and con's. Can't wait to take her out on Tuesday and throw some down range...Semper Fi

18. sublime42283

sublime42283 New Member

sorry about jumping to conclusions thought you might have jumped into it. I hope she shoots like a dream or...a nightmare...lol...semper fi do or die brother.

19. Blaine

Blaine New Member

Here is a review of my Bushmaster .

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDQezq6nLnw]‪Bushmaster M4/A3 Patrolman (Review + Shoot)‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

20. PistolMarxman

PistolMarxman New Member

Wow. I can't believe your FFL said u don't want that cuz it's too light. I own a bushmaster carbon 15 m4 and that is the main reason I love it is cuz it's lightweight. And I've never had a problem with the carbon splitting at all. All my buddies who own other ar15's love mine too cuz theirs are heavy especially when u start putting a scope and a front grip and all that **** on it. And the guns well worth the price I've never had it jam up or anything.

Attached Files: