Bushmaster .223 .556 NATO AR15

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Secondhand_Hero, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Secondhand_Hero

Secondhand_Hero New Member

i'm weary of this buy... Last time i checked they went for $1500 with an active law enforcement discount. Now i'm seeing one for sale from an online FFL dealer for $700. Is it just me or does this seem fishy?

2. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

You can do much better for the money.

Check out PSA and Spikes at that price range.

3. Secondhand_Hero

Would you mind going into more detail? i'm big into shooting but kind of a dunce when it comes to more in-depth research

4. firedawg60

firedawg60 New Member

I've got a Bushmaster with rails, forward grip, carry handle, light/laser combo, sling, and hard case for $699. Used but looks brand new.

5. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Supply and demand. A year ago, people were grabbing AR's up like hot cakes, price be damned. Many of them are losing money on their investments. Supply caught up, market flooded, prices down

6. Secondhand_Hero

That would make sense as this was just at the beginning of state police swapping their shotguns for the AR15s

7. Quentin

Quentin New Member

There have been many holiday sales, good prices on lots of brands - if you can find something in stock.

Also, BM is under new ownership and now built in Ilion, NY. There are reports that recent manufacture BMs are worse than the older ones. Customer interest may be slipping a bit especially with so many choices out there.

8. Secondhand_Hero

i'll have to keep that in mind! Some people are trying to sway me towards a Spike for the quality but could you list a couple top brands? Or would it be well worth custom building one?

9. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

Stag, DPMS, RRA, PSA, Spikes, and S & W all provide good AR's for under a grand. but it will depend on what extras you want it to have

10. Secondhand_Hero

'Top Three' we'll say being Spikes, RRA, and S&W? i've shot two AR15's and one AR10 so i really have no idea what would be the best product other than what you guys say

11. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Quality/Value - BCM, Daniel Defense, PSA, Spikes, LMT, Colt

It's really not that hard. I'm a very inmatiant person and money burns a whole in my pocket but still figuring out what works and what doesn't is important.

Listen to guys like Quentin. He's level headed and knowledgeable.

Learn what steel, assembly techniques, companies are best.

Go to each manufacturers website and compare build materials. It usually doesn't take long to see a seperation in quality.

Plus it is always helpful to listen to guys who know a thing or two.

12. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Top 3 that you've shot?

13. Secondhand_Hero

i'm tryin! Like i said i'm more of a shooter than a researcher so even asking you guys is a stretch for me.. And no, i would like to know what the top three in general work the best.. Only AR15's i have shot are Bushmaster and Olympic Arms

14. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Top 3 in my price range in order from lowest to highest price: PSA, BCM, Colt, Daniel Defense.

15. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I kinda lost count along the way, but no argument from me! :p

Secondhand_Hero, you have to set a budget and set your specs and what your uses will be. If a lowball budget is king, then add PSA and Spikes to your short list, maybe even the S&W Sport.

16. Secondhand_Hero

Well i've only shot mid-priced AR15's and i loved them. As much as i'd like to have one in my hands tomorrow i could save up for a quality gun or even try to build one up one part at a time.. i've been patient thusfar so if the quality is worth the cost i'd be more than willing to take it slow

17. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

LOL, yeah my son was being a monster at the moment.

Secondhand, the ARs listed are the best values on the market at the moment.

18. Secondhand_Hero

Okay, thank you very much for the help! At one point i was thinking of getting an AR15 chambered for 7.62 but quickly decided against that for obvious reasons.. Now i'll have to decide between the standard 5.56 NATO, 6.8 SPC, or possibly try my hand at building my own 5.56.
    Glad you folks know what you're talkin about!!

19. Quentin

Quentin New Member

S_H, you sound like just the type that would do well rolling your own. A great way to get the most for your money and spread out the cost, but it requires patience. Most of us here who have are happy with our one-of-a-kind.

20. Secondhand_Hero

Okay, i'll most certainly make sure to spam the forums again for help later come closer to time! Would it be terribly hard to build a 6.8 instead of 5.56 for my first time? From what i understand the 6.8 isn't a farcry from 5.56 NATO in AR15's mechanically (yes i know price, power, and recoil are a different story)