Bushingless

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by WannaBeVagabomd, Aug 26, 2013.

1. WannaBeVagabomd

WannaBeVagabomd New Member

This is just curiosity, but if I wanted to use a bushingless bull barrel, which leaves the gap for crap to get in in the front, would the be anyway to install something to cover that bit? My only concern with the system is reliability really.

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

IMO, there is no advantage to a bushingless bull barrel in a standard sized 1911 platform.

The bushing has proven reliable for over 100 years.

3. rock185

rock185 Member

WannaBe, this is how that is handled on a couple of my guns. No gap, no crap, both boringly reliable...

Attached Files:

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

nothing wrong with barrel bushings. they have been proven ultra reliable through two world wars, several police actions and two gulf wars.

whats important is the barrel and slide lock up the same way each time. the standard bushing does that extremely well

5. WannaBeVagabomd

Where'd you get those if you don't mind me asking? Boringly reliable is a wonderful thing in it's own right.

Everyone else, I have my own reasons for going bushingless, and I can promise you they're good ones. I'm not trying to be a gun hipster here.

6. danf_fl

Would you enlighten me?

7. WannaBeVagabomd

Looking at getting a Caspian Damascus slide with Browning Hi Power scallops, which they told me they'd only be able to make bushingless. Also I'm going to put in 460 Rowland barrel in, which naturally has strong recoil. A heavier bull barrel will help deal with it.

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

All the 1911 460rowland kits use a bushing barrel and will not work with a bushingless design. For a 460rowland to work it needs that compensator it can't be done with a bushingless barrel.

9. WannaBeVagabomd

The ones made by 460 Rowland (the company, not the caliber) can be ported or compensated. In fact the ones the sell use California approved porting, which probably isn't exactly top notch. Your right that they don't currently sell bull barrels, but I don't see a reason they can't, and even if they won't, there's a number of barrel companies out there. If I get a barrel that requires fitting over a drop in, all the better.

10. danf_fl

Upping the pressure, but reducing the slide mass with scallops.

Do the scallops reduce the muzzle area or weaken the slide?

11. WannaBeVagabomd

Not to an amount that really matters. They said that the cut just comes a bit close for a bushing, but they told me it'd last forever anyways, even using 460. Heavy recoil doesn't matter much to me. Most of the other parts are Wilson Combat, Bulletproof where available. So I'm not to terribly concerned with it being torn up. I'm getting a standard 45 barrel as well.

12. WannaBeVagabomd

But I'm not here for a debate on bushing or not. Rock, could you please tell me where you got that piece? Just what I need really.

13. rock185

rock185 Member

WannaBe, The closed end/no-hole plug is an EGW, the other is an Accu-Lock. Looking like wanting a bull barrel around here is very politically incorrect...

14. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

I have Kimber Commander size the that requires a bobby pin. :eek:

Please don't tell anyone. :p

If it trips your trigger, don't sweat it.

15. danf_fl

I'm not say don't get it.
    I would rather invest my money in ammunition and practice. What you do with yours is your business.