Bush xm-15 bolt carrier question

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by talbertjm, Mar 31, 2011.

1. talbertjm

talbertjm Member

hello, my question is in reference to something i saw on a you tube broadcast, nssf shooting sportscast was the name of it. The man said "to test your gas keys on your bolt/bolt carrier, (with the bolt out of the rifle of course, with assembled bolt and carrier), extend the bolt as far as it will go, lay bolt face on hard flat surface. if the bolt collapses into the carrier on its own, then the gas keys could be weakened, old, or bad, have them looked at or replaced.

well hell, my rifle is only one year old with 1500 rounds put through it, ( lake city ammo ), is this common for a bush or is mine one of those hit or miss weapons? just curious, also, not new to firearms just to ar's

thank you,
    joe

2. Quentin

Quentin New Member

This would be the sign of worn gas rings, not gas key screws. Are you saying your BCG fails the test? 1500 rds shouldn't wear the rings that much but fortunately rings are cheap.

3. WoodysKJ

WoodysKJ New Member

Post a link to the video, please

4. GunDoc

GunDoc New Member

+1 Quentin. It would be worn gas rings, of which the XM15 has three from the factory. If the bolt falls under its own weight it's time to inspect it. My XM15 has thousands of rounds through it without any problem, but I do check it every time I clean it. From the factory the gas key wasn't staked very well on plenty of rifles, so check your gas key as well and have it staked if it ever feels loose. Proper staking isn't as easy as it sounds, so when the time comes borrow a MOAKS tool or pay someone to do it right.

5. talbertjm

talbertjm Member

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kLkXJWfwLQ]YouTube - Clean your AR-15 - NSSF Shooting Sportscast[/ame]

skip to the time: 23:30

6. talbertjm

talbertjm Member

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kLkXJWfwLQ]YouTube - Clean your AR-15 - NSSF Shooting Sportscast[/ame]

skip to the time: 23:30

and he does call them keys, not rings.

thank you

7. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Slip of the tongue then, I'm not going to watch the video (I could clean three ARs in 28 minutes! :D) but from your description he meant gas rings.

8. WoodysKJ

WoodysKJ New Member

I watched that video. MASTERFUL production. Guy in a black shirt, black gun in a shaded area with back lighting. ABSOLUTELY NO detail I though it would have been better if you could actually see what he had in his hands.

9. talbertjm

talbertjm Member

thank you for all reply's, next step is to change out the gas rings.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2011
  10. GunDoc

GunDoc New Member

I do my own videos and I slip up and call things the wrong name sometimes. By the time I get around to editing the original project is out the door and gone. I'll forgive him.

11. WoodysKJ

WoodysKJ New Member

He does eventually call the Gas Rings. This video is full of info and potentially a great help for beginners. I just wish they had paid better attention to the photography. I know this is a dirty job and a white shirt would have been trashed, but a OD shirt out in the sun so you could actually see the AR and what he was doing would make this video near perfect.

If anybody has a YouTube account and would like to post the comment for them I am sure they will eventually get around to re-shooting it. I don't have a you tube account, don't really want one either. Too Damned many passwords as it is.

12. talbertjm

talbertjm Member

so is there anything out there that is better than factory replacement for gas rings. i've had bad luck with this gun ever since i bought it.

thank you,
    joe

13. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Factory is fine but you might want to look at BCM's bolt upgrade kit, it's pretty cheap since it's basically rings and extractor upgrades.

14. talbertjm

talbertjm Member

thanks, i was just looking at that online. seems like the folks that purchased the item have been pleased and happy. thanks again. i

15. WoodysKJ

WoodysKJ New Member

there are probrably a dozen or more manufacturers of those rings so know which are better than the next is a real crap shoot. get several sets, and even the bolt upgrade kit. good spare parts to have on hand

Check out this video: BCG Assembly

About half way through the video is the info on changing out the gas rings.

All of these videos on Brownelle's website are GREAT info.

Brownell's is also a GREAT place to get the individual parts. Sell to the public, no min. orders, good prices, good people.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2011